What's new

Glow plug indicator

Jon2.2

Members
Reaction score
Car
honda accord i-ctdi
Hi, i have just replaced my rear led bulbs with new ones as one had blown. I got new ones from ebay shipped from hong kong, i fitted them and they worked fine but upon turning my engine over the glow plug indicator all of a sudden came on and kept flashing, the car started up fine as normal, i have plenty of fuel in (over half). Anyone know the reason behind this? i have not put my old bulbs back in yet to see if it goes off but obviously i would like to keep these new bulbs.

HELP :unsure:

Perhaps i should mentioned that the bulbs i replaced are the brake/tail lights.

John, totally unrelated. You've got a fuel problem. When was the last time your fuel filter was changed? I'd start with this, make sure it a bosch original and bled properly....

John, totally unrelated. You've got a fuel problem. When was the last time your fuel filter was changed? I'd start with this, make sure it a bosch original and bled properly....
Fuel filter changed AROUND 4-5k ago for a genuine full hit service

actually more like 6-7k just checked mileage

I have just gone out to check all levels etc and i need oil badly! done a full service about 6-7k ago and im already on min mark for the oil, seems a bit quick to me.

On the plus side i started car up and it flashed once then STOPPED!!!!! :rolleyes: im still going to change filter though thanks

This exact same thing happened to me after fitting LEDs all round. The glow plug light would flash and after a few starts it would go out but as soon as i put it into reverse it would start flashing again. So the first port of call was to put the original reverse bulb back in but that didn`t help. A diagnostics check at Holdcroft said the brake pedal switch needed replacing so I did this and still had the same problem. As soon as I put the original stop/tail bulbs back in the problem went away and has never come back.
So if I were you I would try the bulbs first before going to the expense and hassle of changing the fuel filter.

strange one, have you gone back to standard bulbs now? i have full led in atm apart from rear fog and reverse, i just put these new brake lights in then up came the flashing glow plug which has seemed to have gone....for now. :unsure:

Yep gone back to the original filament bulbs and not had a problem since. The light would go out for me too after a while but eventually would come back on again. I would leave it for now if the light has gone out but if it comes on again try the bulbs first.

My problem was happening over a period of a few months and during this time I replaced the brake light switch (which caused other problems detailed in another thread, search for brake light switch), went back to the original reverse light bulb because my light would flash whenever I put it into reverse (I also have a reverse camera fitted so I also suspected that was the problem).

But the only thing that has stopped it for good is putting back the original bulbs, sorted.

Was just gonna say, my first reaction would be to say its totally unrelated but I know Dave had exactly the same problem and I would say it is very much related.

It must be something to do with the multiplexed wiring system in these cars..

I have just gone out to check all levels etc and i need oil badly! done a full service about 6-7k ago and im already on min mark for the oil, seems a bit quick to me.

John, the diesel can use up to a litre of oil every 600 miles. You're supposed to check it everytime you fill up. That said mine uses very little if any. The difference between min and max on the dipstick is a litre.

John, the diesel can use up to a litre of oil every 600 miles. You're supposed to check it everytime you fill up. That said mine uses very little if any. The difference between min and max on the dipstick is a litre.
cheers mate, actually wasnt sure of that :)

I'l keep you all updated of any changes

Rob if mine was using that much i would say there is a problem.Mine uses about 0.5L between servicing.
As for the LEDS is possible like Dave said but touch wood i have LEDS all round and no problems at the min.

Rob if mine was using that much i would say there is a problem.Mine uses about 0.5L between servicing.

Brett, the point I was making is that these diesels can use a lot of oil, and you need to check your oil level very regularly. Mine use hardly any between services.

It's also stated in this thread.

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/78-important-diesel-oil-and-particulate-filter/page__pid__41727#entry41727

Diesels in general can consume some oil, but in our collective experience of the ICTDI - oil consumption is rare and very minimal at worst.

If it's actually using 1 litre of oil, even over 10k miles - I'd personally be a little concerned.

Are you sure it was at max when you filled it mate?

Mine with 150K+, and a little visit from Faddy used none in the last 8K miles.