What's new

glow plug light flashing

brunlea

Members
Reaction score
Car
accord cdti
Hi all
The glow plugs light is flashing on my cdti 05 Accord. Reading a few topics on here I thought i would get the fuel filter changed so I did.

However the light is still flashing and I have no problems starting and have had no loss of power when driving. Going to have the code read on Monday so I should know what it might be.

In the meantime do any of you have any idea what the issue might be?

thanks

So no noticeable starting or running problems at all then?

There is no single 'reliable diagnostic' reason for the glowplug light to flash... and no code that can be read directly as a result. Is your ECU warning light also coming on (or has it been on recently)? Whoever reads the ECU codes will probably find a whole load of stored codes that can make it difficult to form a diagnosis, so best to note them and then clear all fault codes - and then see which one(s) comes back. Then you can be sure!

It is very important that the replacement fuel filter is the correct Bosch item (part number ending in 442). Can you confirm that, as many problems are known to be caused by fitting an aftermarket substitute... these engines are horribly sensitive to fuel filter restricion.

Fuel Filter, sticking EGR valve, knackered turbo...it could be anything. Needs a diagnostic and functional test.

Hmm. I did replace it with a genuine Bosch one from a Honda dealer. No other lights were on or anything. The turbo whistles when the car is cold but then dies away when it is warm. I hope it's not the turbo. I had 2 turbos go on my last car!

I guess will have to wait and see on Monday. Hopefully clearing the codes will sort it out.

Thought I could smell exhaust fumes in the car today. But driving it more the smell seemed to disappear so it may be nothing. Turbo seems to respond ok. Light still flashing after 80 miles of driving.

The smell of exhaust fumes when cold can be a sign of a cracked exhaust manifold... quite a common thing on these engines, unfortunately. But it wouldn't cause the warning light to come on.

Has this happened after a fuel filter change? Could be a badly fitted filter, leaking slightly which would explain the burnt fumes, and also losing fuel pressure which would explain the light.

I think Fahad has hit on the fault hear.
Also check all the sensors are correctly fitted under the ff

There are a couple of sensors with cables going to them.
I think there water in filter sensors if I remember.
Unless I'm getting confused with the Denso ff on the facelift

There are a couple of sensors with cables going to them.
I think there water in filter sensors if I remember.
Unless I'm getting confused with the Denso ff on the facelift
Oh, maybe on the facelift model Denso filter (never seen one)... no sensors on the Bosch filter.

That's what it is then Jon thank you for the heads up

I did not take it for a diagnostic check on Monday, so did not find out the cause of the light flashing. After travelling about 120 miles or so, the light stopped flashing and went off. Have been driving it for a further 2 days and no light since so i guess it must have been something transient and not a major problem.

I did read on a CRV forum that a car had the same symptoms as mine, and removing the AC Relay in the fuse box and re-gassing the AC fixed the issue. Seems odd.