What's new

Glow Plugs or Fuel Filter

CarlStewart

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord
Hi All - not been on here for a bit as my beloved now drives the Accord, but she complained of no power, so I went out for a spin and got the glow plug light flashing and limited revs over 2-2.5k.

I left it for 10 mins and went again - but primed the fuel bulb (didn't seem overly soft) and there definetly seemed to be more revs there - although car was not sprightly to say the least - a bit hesitant.

The fuel filter was last changed in Jan 2011, so would this be your first port of call (time for some knuckle scraping if I remember correctly?)?? Or should I be looking at glow plugs?

I have tried searching but there are that many FF/ Glow plug posts it drove me mad!

Car has done over £240K now - so just waiting for something major to go wrong :-(

Cheers guys

My advice is change the FF as this will now be due a new one after 2 years.

Flashing glow plug is normally low fuel or boost pressure. I'd change the filter first.

Finally got around to doing the FF yesterday - I'd totally forgotten what a pain that back bolt is - but did it in under an hour all in so quite pleased!
Unfortunately the problem still persists - no glow plug light (mrs said that went out in the week!) :) , but not much power when accelerating and excessive black smoke esp when over 30-40 mph.
Any advice on what to try next. - could it be the turbo? And how would I check ??
Thanks for looking chaps!!
Carl

I offer a diagnostic service mate, drop me a line for info.

UPDATE - unplugged the sensor clip from the frequency solenoid valve and Mrs seems to think that it's better - I drove it and thought it was still driving like a dog!

Am I right to now look at the EGR valve - or shoud I bite the bullet and see Faddy? Bear in mind car has done over 230K and has been a great servant - but I'm getting to the point of getting rid!

ALSO - What is the effect of running the car without the FSV sensor connected - can it do damage??

UPDATE - unplugged the sensor clip from the frequency solenoid valve and Mrs seems to think that it's better - I drove it and thought it was still driving like a dog!

Am I right to now look at the EGR valve - or shoud I bite the bullet and see Faddy? Bear in mind car has done over 230K and has been a great servant - but I'm getting to the point of getting rid!

ALSO - What is the effect of running the car without the FSV sensor connected - can it do damage??

Any advice guys?

Cleaned inlet valves today, but still no joy! Will clean EGR tomorrow and see what happens, then onto faddy I think!!