What's new

Go low or not to go low?

donk_3030

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.4 Ex
Hello peeps

so i've been thinking of lowering my 2004 tourer and the only springs i can find online seem to drop it 30mm on the back and 35mm on the front.

my car does get used as a family wagon but wanted to improve the handling (and look) but wondered if 30mm is too low on the back?

has anyone lowered their tourer and if so by how much (what springs did you use) and do you still find it suitable to ferry the wife, kids, dog and luggage about.

cheers

I've lowered with Apex Springs. 35-40 on the front, 30-35 on the rear. With speed bumps, my front mud guards sometimes scrape, but they're flexible plastic anyway, and I've even very slightly skimmed the cat shield on a speed bump once. But that sounds worse than it is ;) .

The rear however still sits nicely, even loaded. I put a load of live sound equipment in mine a while back. We're talking bass amps, electric piano, PA speakers and all sorts. It was low, but not too low. If you want a slightly less severe drop, consider Eibachs. They cost a bit more but review well, if you can find any that is. They're discontinued now I believe :unsure: .

This is how mine looks lowered on Apex Springs and without the boot loaded.

NewWheels_zpsa0763e99.jpg

I imagine what differentiates the tourer spring option to the saloon is a stiffer rear spring in the anticipation of extra weight/load.

I should warn you though, the 40mm drop on the front I think has worn my shocks out after about 8 months of use :unsure: . So they're on a to-do list. If you can afford it, maybe get some shocks done too. I'd suggest Bilstein or Koni. They're what I'm pricing up.

if you do plan on doing the suspension. . you may as well go for the group buy coilovers.. they will offer lower ride but stiffer suspension..

Indeed. If they get 5+ tourers and 5+ saloons, there are good discounts to be had. Sadly, I can't afford it, but I would go for it if I could.

Cheers for the info and the pic. I agree there is a good deal to be had but its still quite pricey (for me) which is why I was gonna go for springs first.
I guess that makes sense about the rear on tourers being stiffer to allow the extra weight!
Thanks

KW springs lowering 30mm front/rear, £180 for set, I have them fitted, no issues at all, pics can be found in my tread ;)

KW springs lowering 30mm front/rear, £180 for set, I have them fitted, no issues at all, pics can be found in my tread ;)

^ Job done. Not too low, but low enough B) .

Cheers chaps, they look good.

just wondered what size wheels you guys have fitted? 17"?

i have 17's on mine.

I put H&R on mine, it does stiffing things, but TBH to need to do the shocks to make it worthwhile. I put a review in the DIY review section.

I'm on 17", but you can easily fit 18" or even 19" as long as there is correct offset ;)