What's new

Got Sputnik back from the garage :-)

ebod

Members
Reaction score
Car
I-CTDI SPUTNIK
Sputnik has been full serviced ( ALL filters ), new front tyres & tracking, and more importantly sporting its new exhaust manifold.

£750 in part & labour ( I bought most of the stuff myself except tyres ), largley considered to my last big spend on her now.

Feels like I've gained 20% more power and lost the black cloud ( just a mild grey when giving it max beans )

Garage confirm suspension ok , driveshafts ok & also free movement on turbo VNT control. So now I've got to take it on the motorway and see how she behaves at speed.

I actually felt happy to be sat in her for once ...and hey...I WASHED the old girl and gave her a proper vac tonight. :lol:

Aw bless. I'm sure she's enjoyed the service and looks after you. :)

Now you gotta get it to 300K just to justify the spend :lol:

Nice one mate, a simple fix in the end.

Well done fella. You are living proof these cars can go on for 200k

Had a prowl around today to Bury & back , and its deffo up to full power and minimal smoke. To the point when I was booting the throttle I got a bit of clutch slip.

It does sound a bit noisey on tick-over...but that might be because I've been using my S-Max 2.0 TDCI a lot recently which is ultra smooth/quiet. Also now its got a very slight misalignment on the steering wheel...which always does my head in. :ph34r:

quick recap on Sputnik. It went back into garage b'cos something was rubbing on the steering when the work was done on it. But now back and running as good as I've ever had it.

Gone are the black clouds, but still a grey haze when giving it plenty of beans on the throttle.

The only let down was I was hoping for a vast improvement on mpg, but just run a tank of std shell diesel ( VPD no available last time I filled ) to the dregs of the tank.

For a proper fill right up to the spout ( 61.7ltrs ) I only got 488miles which equates to ~36.5mpg.

I'm gutted I can't get nearer 600miles but will try again this week now I have just brimmed it with VPD this time. It still narks me that people with the same spec 5spd chipped up cars with the 17" alloys wider tread can claim they get average 580+

All I can conclude is that remaining gray haze I get is the unburnt wasted fuel for that differential, but dunno if its injectors/EGR fault or just a ***** remap :-(
or maybe you guys know there is an optimum speed not to exceed on the 5spd, eg anything over motorway speed limit massively affects mpg returns..

Something wrong there Ian, I get just shy of that from my 2.4 petrol.

That's very low mileage for a diesel, I'd be looking into that, doesn't sound right to me.

Having said that, we are still loosing MPG and getting lower, since our manifold change, don't know what difference that would make but that's all I can put it down to.

Going even a smidge over 2K revs kills efficiency bud... That being said those MPG figures are my "having fun" figures in a Tourer :D

Perhaps a little injector cleaner would help?

..the thing is I'm skint right now after a such a big spend, and she generally runs okay. If I had time I'd have considered the HH meet to get some opinions on how she runs. There might be a few peops who point out odd things that I otherwise thought were okay with her.

To try and put it in perspective on other diesels I've owned and done the same mileage routine with, I had a 93' Audi80 TDI-90 (266k miles ), then a 99' Laguna 1.9dTI-100hp ( 180k miles ) , then a 52 Xsara HDI-110 ( 150k miles ) which all did 47<>52mpg range. I'd consider ~44mpg respectable in light of the power/weight of an Accord.

No offence mate, but your remap was done on the cheap from what I remember by somebody without a verifiable track record. A remap is not something you should ever buy on price, afterall the maps on your ECU are the most fundamental aspect of the overall smooth running of your engine.

Have the car returned to stock with a known factory map and then check your car's economy.. If it goes up, then you know you had a rubbish remap. Many generic remaps are basically no better than a tuning box as the 'tuner' has just manipulated fuel pressure to make power. This may or may not be what is happening to your car.

No offence mate, but your remap was done on the cheap from what I remember by somebody without a verifiable track record. A remap is not something you should ever buy on price, afterall the maps on your ECU are the most fundamental aspect of the overall smooth running of your engine.

Have the car returned to stock with a known factory map and then check your car's economy.. If it goes up, then you know you had a rubbish remap. Many generic remaps are basically no better than a tuning box as the 'tuner' has just manipulated fuel pressure to make power. This may or may not be what is happening to your car.

Faddy you're possibly/probably right, the guy is a work colleague who did it as a sideline but since sold off his gear. But conversley I never got it mapped straight away, it was ~9months after I bought it and TBH best I ever got was ~530miles/42.6mpg and I think that was on VPD. I saw your group map offer and was tempted to go to the HH meet, but ironically the group saving is well lost on the fuel cost to Staffs & back. I'd be better off accruing somefunds and waiting til there's a convenient time to divert round Bratford on my way home one Fri..

I'm in Halifax now ;)

But that's not really what I'm saying mate, the remap might be fine and not the cause. 488 miles on a full tank (is that from full to orange light and local driving?) doesn't sound that good really but cold temperatures, lots of start stop and lower gear driving will contribute to this. Economy is a such a subjective thing sometimes.

I'm in Halifax now ;)

But that's not really what I'm saying mate, the remap might be fine and not the cause. 488 miles on a full tank (is that from full to orange light and local driving?) doesn't sound that good really but cold temperatures, lots of start stop and lower gear driving will contribute to this. Economy is a such a subjective thing sometimes.

Yeah I saw from the recent ebay ad, the specific place ( I call the home of the hippo's ) is were I perpetually got lost trying to navigate home whenever the M62 got shut down. These days I've sussed the "Scholes>Clifton>Brighouse>Elland>Greetland>Barkisland>Ripponden>Littleborough" rat-run to get over the tops without spending 8hrs parked up on the moorland stretch of the motorway.

Sputnik is still smoking more than I would consider normal, so I've got to concentrate and whether its too much fuel...or not enough airflow. Can only be one or the other...

You must pass my house if you're coming through Brighouse.

even mine at 175K miles sat at constant 80 leptons on the motorways I can easily clear 550 on a full to dregs run......

does definitely sound like somethings not right.

quick recap on Sputnik. It went back into garage b'cos something was rubbing on the steering when the work was done on it. But now back and running as good as I've ever had it.

Gone are the black clouds, but still a grey haze when giving it plenty of beans on the throttle.

The only let down was I was hoping for a vast improvement on mpg, but just run a tank of std shell diesel ( VPD no available last time I filled ) to the dregs of the tank.

For a proper fill right up to the spout ( 61.7ltrs ) I only got 488miles which equates to ~36.5mpg.

I'm gutted I can't get nearer 600miles but will try again this week now I have just brimmed it with VPD this time. It still narks me that people with the same spec 5spd chipped up cars with the 17" alloys wider tread can claim they get average 580+

All I can conclude is that remaining gray haze I get is the unburnt wasted fuel for that differential, but dunno if its injectors/EGR fault or just a ***** remap :-(
or maybe you guys know there is an optimum speed not to exceed on the 5spd, eg anything over motorway speed limit massively affects mpg returns..

Ian,

just a thought, but have you ever had the MAF sensor changed?

At the mileage your on, then I suspect it might have seen better days. When I was reading up on them there is a general consensus that they should last around 80K.

Many people have of course done much more than that and will only replace the sensor when it finally fails.

Do a search for MAF sensor cleaning and it will show you how easy it is to replace, you need to find out the actual part number, I replaced mine not to long ago, so if you want to know where I got it from, just drop me a PM.

I've noticed quite a few people mention that their mileage goes down, once the manifold is replaced, however I don't know whether this has remained or improved as the ECU adapted to the new environment.

As Fahad has said best bet is to take it back to stock first and see how much it improves, if any.

Ian,

just a thought, but have you ever had the MAF sensor changed?

At the mileage your on, then I suspect it might have seen better days. When I was reading up on them there is a general consensus that they should last around 80K.

Many people have of course done much more than that and will only replace the sensor when it finally fails.

Do a search for MAF sensor cleaning and it will show you how easy it is to replace, you need to find out the actual part number, I replaced mine not to long ago, so if you want to know where I got it from, just drop me a PM.

I've noticed quite a few people mention that their mileage goes down, once the manifold is replaced, however I don't know whether this has remained or improved as the ECU adapted to the new environment.

As Fahad has said best bet is to take it back to stock first and see how much it improves, if any.

Yep...deffo going down that route. Just done another refil at 478 miles 60.2ltrs , 36mpg :-(
I banked on the big spend on manifold being the answer...but that gave my power back with no change to economy. I really need much better mpg to justify the cost of keeping Sputnik.

Forgetting the sums spent on tyres/brakes services etc I have spent nearly £2k in 2yrs on fixes ( clutch/DMF , alternator , manifold, IMRC valve ). Thats 50K's mileage though

She starts up instantly and doesn't hesitate etc, so yeah the next steps are to get a stock map ( trip to Halifax to arrange ) and then consider the MAF.
I wish somebody in the M62 zone had a MAF to swap over just to see what the effects would be.

Actually at that mileage you may want to consider having the EGR mapped out.. I know it's a bit of a guessing game right now though. I'm back tomorrow now if you want to make a trip mate.

Actually at that mileage you may want to consider having the EGR mapped out.. I know it's a bit of a guessing game right now though. I'm back tomorrow now if you want to make a trip mate.

I have previously stripped off the EGR & IMRC and cleaned the lot. The IMRC inlet was plenty cruddy but the EGR was just lightly sooted. Like I said, no hesitations when running so I kinda discounted the EGR.

At the end of the day...the symptom is excess smoke and poor ecomony, but good starting and relatively smooth running ( since the manifold was fitted )

I can only muster the 'flash-to-stock' £sum at this moment in time :-( , probably Friday ~4.00ish looking most likely Faddy :-/ Is that do'able?

You can't clean the EGR on these cars, totally sealed system.

Best call/SMS to arrange a time for friday as I'm out again.