What's new

H.I.D conversion kits

Dalerobert

Members
Reaction score
Car
1.8 vtec sport
So I've been thinking for a long about getting a h i d conversion kit for the accord, as I've been looking for a bit at different one's i really could do with some recommendations on some as I've heard a few only last a few months then stop working cheers

I put HID kit two years ago and still fine.

Have you got a link to any recommended kits?
im thinking of these if its any help, just hope this link works http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Xenon-HID-Conversion-KIT-H7-4300K-Digital-Mini-Ballasts-Metal-base-HID-bulbs-/331046666030?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4d13eb3f2e

i fitted a set in to the car yesterday, blimey what a difference, the hardest thing about fitting them was getting the headlamps over the bumper support bracket :D

Fogs should be H1 12v 55W for the standard ones.

A quick question been looking at differnt types of light and noticed that some are just low beam and some are high and low will the high and low beam ones still fit as the seem to have two bulbs for each head light?

Does anybody know if the h/lamp unit on a 6th Gen is actually suitable for an after market HID kit? I'd really like to improve the h/lights but have reservations about light scatter and dazzling oncoming traffic.

Does anybody know if the h/lamp unit on a 6th Gen is actually suitable for an after market HID kit? I'd really like to improve the h/lights but have reservations about light scatter and dazzling oncoming traffic.

Probably not as they are not projector lamps so the light will be scattered. However the type r headlamps had xenon fitted, might be worth looking into a set of them. They however had an auto leveling function too which other 6th gens don't

Probably not as they are not projector lamps so the light will be scattered. However the type r headlamps had xenon fitted, might be worth looking into a set of them. They however had an auto leveling function too which other 6th gens don't

Cheers for that info, I was thinking as much. I'll knock the idea of HID kit on the head so, and try a set of PIAA bulbs this time.

A quick question been looking at differnt types of light and noticed that some are just low beam and some are high and low will the high and low beam ones still fit as the seem to have two bulbs for each head light?
You have the dipped beams which are the normal lights you use everyday than the main beam which is the really powerful ones. Dipped beam is H7 and main beam is H1 to my knowledge.

Wouldnt you be able to fit ATR headlights so you can upgrade to hid?

Yes, indeed you would be able to fit them. But besides buying a 2nd hand set of H/lamps you'd need the auto levelling unit and ***ociated parts and I presume mount it to the the rear axle. Personally, too much expense & hassle for me, prefer to keep throwing money on Ring, Osram, Philips etc upgraded h/lamp bulbs even if I won't get the same quality of light as from the ATR HID lamps.

Just had a quick look at those bulbs are they a straiggt plug in an go job then if so i think i will invest theyve got to be better then the standard ones

I'm considering upgrading the headlights on my car to HID, but looking under the bonnet it looks a bit full and I don't know where I'd fit the ballast packs. Can anyone suggest a suitable location?

Cheers

You're better off just upgrading the bulbs on the 6th gens.

For the HiDs you'll need different headlights, headlight washers and auto levelling before you can fit the actual HiDs,(to remain legal anyways). Without the projector housings (as on the ATR) you'll just blind the people driving toward you.

Anyway the headlights on the ATRs are crap. Much better lights on my Scoob or the 7th gen. In the dry they're not horrendous, but in the rain they're shocking.

ChrisC78 said:
I'm considering upgrading the headlights on my car to HID, but looking under the bonnet it looks a bit full and I don't know where I'd fit the ballast packs. Can anyone suggest a suitable location?

Cheers
The ballasts will fit under the actual headlight housing, and the leveller sensors are at the back of the car.

The lights on the 6th gen are indeed crap, I used Philips xtreme bulbs which make a good difference, they have new ones out which output even more light, so look into those.

You could retrofit the ATR headlights without the requirement of either headlight washers or the automatic levelling system and not be in contravention of the law.

You'll only fail an MOT on not having functioning auto levellers or headlight washers with HID lights present if it is apparent to the tester that the levellers/washers are fitted but not functioning, or obviously circumvented, on the car being tested. Said components were never present on your Accord and so there is no requirement for them to be present and functioning.

My Subaru Legacy had HID headlights without washers or levellers fitted from factory and it went through MOT just fine.

From memory we covered the exact wording of the MOT manual in another thread and came to the same conclusion.

Still, if the ATR headlights are rubbish anyway then it's all a moot point :lol:

I've had my (dutch) MOT today, I had to replace my HID's with Halogen lights because of stray light. Because of that I started google-ing some info about reflector headlights and HID lights. I've read some articles about the "new" H7 R or H7 RC HID's. H7 R and RC bulbs are made especially for reflector based head light units, instead of projector.

(I tried linking to an image here, but the forum won't let me ;-) ) http://bfy.tw/1dqJ (search for images)

The bulbs are shorter than the normal H7 HID's and feature an anti reflecting piece on the bulb glass and so stops blinding your fellow road user. I'm ordering a set of H7RC bulbs by the end of the month. I'll try to report back for my experience with this bulbs, and I'll ask my local garage to see if these HID bulbs don't cause stray light.