What's new

Hard to change gear when cold.

TheJamMod

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord
I had the gearbox oil and clutch fluid changed because 1st gear was sometimes a struggle to coax in. Well since the fluid changes, when I drive the car for the first few minutes, the first and second gears are tough to change, it's almost as if the lever has seized and requires a bit of muscle to change. After a few minutes the changes become much easier. Any ideas?

As per above, were they genuine Honda MTF and Clutch Fluid?

It's more likely to be some air trapped in the clutch fluid causing it or a weak cylinder

No idea which fluids they used. I doubt it was genuine. What are the exact specs of the fluids I need? I can go back to them and make them change it again. Cheers.

You can get away with aftermarket clutch and brake fluids but for transmission oil you absolute must use Honda MTF3. Trust me on this.

Agree with above, I replaced my gear box oil recently for honda mtf3 and no issues at all.

No idea which fluids they used. I doubt it was genuine. What are the exact specs of the fluids I need? I can go back to them and make them change it again. Cheers.
If it wasn't a Honda dealer and the fluid wasn't supplied by you then I would think they have used aftermarket fluids. However do check and go from there.

I did the gearbox oil on my brothers Accord last night too, silky smooth. Despite the full Honda history, it looks like they had never done the fluid as it wasn't stamped on the service book for trasnmission fluid change. For the cost of a few bottles of MTF3 it's just not worth skipping.

Have to agree with the guys its little things like this that makes all the difference.

Thanks. I forgot about the correct transmission oil. I'll get it changed at the MOT.

When I took the parts to the garage, they were adamant that BOSCH parts were good enough, and then I had to explain the 0w-30 oil, the honda fuel filter, and it went on and on.

Thanks. I forgot about the correct transmission oil. I'll get it changed at the MOT.

When I took the parts to the garage, they were adamant that BOSCH parts were good enough, and then I had to explain the 0w-30 oil, the honda fuel filter, and it went on and on.
Careful now, the correct fuel filter for your vehicle isn't actually made by Honda - pre-facelift models are originally fitted with a Bosch unit and facelift models are originally fitted with a Denso unit (not sure what you have). You don't have to buy it from Honda, but certainly stick with the type originally fitted.

It's perhaps understandable that garages do suggest that other oil grades are considered acceptable, as my pre-facelift Accord owners manual does clearly list a range of acceptable grades. But I would only use 0w-30, as would most members here and on the Civinfo website.

But - annoyingly, as it's a bit pricey - I have never seen an alternative to using genuine Honda MT-3 in the gearbox (other than as a temporary fix). But your problem sounds more like the clutch isn't clearing because the hydraulic system needs bleeding or repair (leaky cylinder seals).

Jon, you're kinda right but not completely I'm afraid. Yes the fuel filters are made by Bosch and Denso, but many motor factors will supply compatible Bosch filters but not the actual Bosch filter that was supplied through Honda. I've seen it before, trust me been through it sooooo many times on here. It's just not worth the hassle.

Always buy genuine service parts from the main dealer on the Honda ICTDI cars.

you can source a genuine service kit at a reasonable price aswell, so diy you have no excuse.

Jon, you're kinda right but not completely I'm afraid. Yes the fuel filters are made by Bosch and Denso, but many motor factors will supply compatible Bosch filters but not the actual Bosch filter that was supplied through Honda. I've seen it before, trust me been through it sooooo many times on here. It's just not worth the hassle.

Always buy genuine service parts from the main dealer on the Honda ICTDI cars.
Well yeah, don't just buy any old Bosch or Denso filter - make sure you get the right one!! That's good advice whatever part you buy, even from a Honda dealer (who once sold me the wrong wiper blades).

The real reason for my post was that the OP was giving his garage a hard time for trying to supply him with a Bosch filter, while he was instead demanding a "Honda filter". That could obviously be a confusing situation for both parties.

It wasn't confusing to me. They were going to use "aftermarket" stuff and a different grade oil.