What's new

Has anyone changed the front

waterwomble

Members
Reaction score
Car
6th Gen Accord
Has anyone replaced their front suspension upper arm ball joints?, mine has failled the mot and i have bought a new set, but the ones on the car now look like they are part of the upper arm? Am i missing something?, have looked for circlips etc but cant see anything?

It's a 1999 2ltr auto saloon

I guess that you will have to press them out. The other alternative is to hit them with a good hammer ;)

They are most likely the originals mate as mine were. I had to replace the whole upper arms with aftermarket ones because Honda made them all in one peice so they cannot be pressed out.
Next time though I can just replace the ball joints as opposed to the whole arms!

^^^^^What he said pmsl :lol: :lol:

I have changed mine. Its a bit of hard work. You need to take out upper arm. put them in wise and press out using correct size of ring as base on that side, to which one it shoud go.
It goes out with loud click. After that same way new one goes in. My new ball joint has fixing ring on it (original was without it). But you need to keep rotation of ball joint when you press it in. as it is angle sensitive.
I will check diameter of ball joint. As there is two diameters of it. one diameter if you put ball joint into old arm. and another if you put in new some kind of aftermarket arm.

As Linas said the upper ball joints can be pressed out and replaced. I paid a mate to do it cos I'm lazy/useless, he charged £15 for the labour and I bought the ball joint for £9. I'm doing the same job on my Prelude shortly, but I'm just buying a cheap aftermarket control arm rather than replacing the ball joint in the original arm this time as it'll make the job a lot faster and easier, and not cost much more :)

Umm how good a quality would the cheaper after market ones be and would they meddle with the suspension setup of the car?