What's new

Has my turbo gone?

tersace

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 i-CDTI
I have just bought a 2005 Honda Accord 2.2 i-CDTI with 102k on the clock, when I bought the car it had a distinctive turbo whistle when cold, googling told me this is normal. Today whilst doing 70MPH on the motorway the car missed a beat (Juddered) I heard a small clanging sound and I could see a plume of smoke from the back. The car has lost power, still sounds solid but no turbo whistle what so ever. its driveable, but with lots of smoke, no lights are on the dash.

Honda service history to 56K
few oild changes by kwik fit
Independent service at 98k
Original fuel filter

Can someone please advise on possible causes, I dont want to change parts for the sake of it.

Kind Regards

Taz

Turbo shaft broken

If you're lucky it's just a boost pipe but I doubt it

Thanks for the prompt reply Fahad.

Is the best way forward to remove the turbo to diagnose?

Kind Regards

Taz

F6HAD said:
Turbo shaft broken

If you're lucky it's just a boost pipe but I doubt it
Could it be that the shaft has gone plus the seals have let go and that might be the cause of the smoke?

New turbo. Get a mechanic to check and confirm diagnosis

The Turbo is defo gone, just trying to source a replacement. I will need to change the oil and filter as well, just wanted to ask is it 0w30 Oil I need, also what brand would you recommend? (Mobil1, Castrol etc)

Kind Regards

Make sure the oil lines are flushed properly and any seals and gaskets renewed with new parts

The old Turbo shaft was jammed, the turbine would not rotate, replacement Turbo from breakers sorted the problem today, took it for 20 min drive, its back to normal. thanks for all help and advice.

There is a problem with the Rev counter, on idle it's below zero, goes up as you Rev the engine, for example doing 60mph in 5th it's on 500rpm. Anyone know what that could be?

Let me know if I should start a new thread.

Kind Regards