What's new

Have I been given the wrong diesel fuel filter?

pauljdh

Members
Reaction score
Car
i-dtec auto tourer
[media]C:[/media]So today I dropped my car off for its first service (since I owned it in Nov) with the lovely 0w30 oil and all the filters.

Returning to collect it I was told that the fuel filter I has supplied didnt fit. Its a Honda Holdcroft supplied Denso 16901 RJL E01 and my car is a 6 speed 2006 cdti tourer. I ordered it with my reg no.

So I rang Holdcroft from the garage who confirmed I had been invoiced for the correct part no and all they could hazard a guess at was that the wrong one had been picked out of stores.

Good as gold they are sending a second filter overnight. If its identical to the one that "wont fit" then theres a problem at the garage and they will fit the proper one at their cost, if ifs different then its Holdcrofts fault and they have to reimburse but I expect to find that the fault is not with Holdcroft but lets see.

Can anyone add anything as to why a general but very competent garage might not be able to make a filter fit (***uming its the right one) ?? Is there a specila knack that makes it semm like its not gonna fit then it does

Im a bit disappointed, either way its back to the garage - sods law is that Ive got to do a 450 mile round trip tomorrow in it and wanted it sorted!

I have a picture of the filter if I can figure out how to upload and can supply my VIN if theres a guru out there who can help.

Cheers

Paul

Going out on a limb here, but I thought there was just two types:

This

or

This

They're pretty distinctive. One has pipes coming out the top, the other hasn't. A glance under the bonnet should tell you which one you need?

The type with the pipes is notoriously difficult to fit. I'll be attempting mine for the first time shortly, and if successful, writing a DIY.

Going out on a limb here, but I thought there was just two types:

This

or

This

They're pretty distinctive. One has pipes coming out the top, the other hasn't. A glance under the bonnet should tell you which one you need?

The type with the pipes is notoriously difficult to fit. I'll be attempting mine for the first time shortly, and if successful, writing a DIY.
Thanks - mine looks like it doesnt have the pipes on top - forgot to mention that the garage fitted a blueprint ADH22340 one - Ill know which way to procedd but as apparently its one of two option I fear the garage may have goofed up

Paul a Denso 16901 RJL E01 is the correct filter for your car check on the side of the filter body to make sure.
I would say your garage has messed up

Paul a Denso 16901 RJL E01 is the correct filter for your car check on the side of the filter body to make sure.
I would say your garage has messed up
Thanks Brett - should I be OK for a couple of days until I can get it replaced? - bit peed off Im a reasonble amateur but thought no Ill get a garage to do it .......live and learn!

Thanks Brett - should I be OK for a couple of days until I can get it replaced? - bit peed off Im a reasonble amateur but thought no Ill get a garage to do it .......live and learn!
A couple more days Paul wont hurt but get it changed for a OEM as soon as possible.Just a question your car is a facelift model right.

Agree with Brett. I would say your mechanic has messed up too.

Just to clarify the Denso filter is for facelift and the other with the tubes on top is for pre facelift.

I'd say he took a look at you filter and saw the pipes coming on the top of it, didn't realise that part separates from the cartridge filter, and just ***umed it was the other type without looking properly.

Thanks - mine looks like it doesnt have the pipes on top - forgot to mention that the garage fitted a blueprint ADH22340 one - Ill know which way to procedd but as apparently its one of two option I fear the garage may have goofed up

So have the garage fitted a new fuel filter then? The blueprint one you mention above?

So have the garage fitted a new fuel filter then? The blueprint one you mention above?
yes theyve fitted a blueprint- they didnt know until they removed mine that they thought they had a problem - but somehow they fitted the blueprint one ok....more I think about it the more Im disappointed. Ive got 450 miles to do tomorrow too

Agree with Brett. I would say your mechanic has messed up too.

Just to clarify the Denso filter is for facelift and the other with the tubes on top is for pre facelift.

I'd say he took a look at you filter and saw the pipes coming on the top of it, didn't realise that part separates from the cartridge filter, and just ***umed it was the other type without looking properly.
They attempted to fit it but said there was a foul - i have it back and its wet with diesel

Wait and see what arrives from Holdcroft then.

Change your filter and your garage (and not necessarily in that order).

Change your filter and your garage (and not necessarily in that order).
Hate to say it but I agree - previously they've been great looking after my wifes French car, although I never took my SAAB Aero there, I did think this was a routine job that they could do - trouble is Im gonna be doing 500 miles between now and Sat when Im gonna tell them to change it.

Can I wait 500 miles?

Sure it's only a filter (famous last words).

Problem is the facelift is a bit of a pain to change as you need to get the whole ***embly out and then un screw the denso cartridge.

TBH the fuel filter is a tricky job so maybe they just didn't want to do it. I changed mine last weekend and it was a pain of a job.
Just see what the dealer send you

Paul,

I don't want to alarm you at all but.......

Firstly as the guys have said yours is the denso cartridge type filter.

Secondly and this is what concerns me the most, if the garage has taken the filter off and then said you supplied the wrong filter, then you need to check what they took off.
It should have been obvious to any competent mechanic by comparing the supplied denso filter with the filter ***embly removed, that the cartridge screws off.
Here is a link to a picture of the blue print part apparently fitted ADH22340 and just for comparison a link to the Denso Filter (as supplied by Matt earlier)

Err spot the difference, oh they are both cartridges / cannisters that screw on, how on earth can the genuine filter be wrong.

At first I had a suspicion that someone had thrown away the filter attachment and fitted the filter from a pre-facelift, however on seeing that the filter they say they have fitted, I find it hard to see a reason why they would think that it is the wrong filter. Perhaps there was a blue print filter on and literally they were looking at like for like.

Paul,

I don't want to alarm you at all but.......

Firstly as the guys have said yours is the denso cartridge type filter.

Secondly and this is what concerns me the most, if the garage has taken the filter off and then said you supplied the wrong filter, then you need to check what they took off.
It should have been obvious to any competent mechanic by comparing the supplied denso filter with the filter ***embly removed, that the cartridge screws off.
Here is a link to a picture of the blue print part apparently fitted ADH22340 and just for comparison a link to the Denso Filter (as supplied by Matt earlier)

Err spot the difference, oh they are both cartridges / cannisters that screw on, how on earth can the genuine filter be wrong.

At first I had a suspicion that someone had thrown away the filter attachment and fitted the filter from a pre-facelift, however on seeing that the filter they say they have fitted, I find it hard to see a reason why they would think that it is the wrong filter. Perhaps there was a blue print filter on and literally they were looking at like for like.

Update - went back to the garage this morning and asked to see the filter they removed. It was an almost identical cartridge type by not marked as a Denso only markings apart from the priming info is "AA2A" so possibly not Honda OEM either but not problematic in service. According to the sevice history it'd been fitted 8000 miles back

Any head tech at garage has offered to fit a Honda filter either this or next sat am and show me how they do it - they dont remove the ***y, just the cartridge.

Anyway I had no option today but to take my daughter back to Uni - Belper to Canterbury return, - get this - 412 miles on an indicated half tank and an indicated average consumption of 59.9mpg!!! (M1 M25 A2 plus some local stuff either end) Tomorrow Im going to fill the tank back to the brim at the same garage to work out actual fuel burn so Ill be very interested in what that is!

Im excited as its my first long haul in the short time Ive owned it and it went like a dream although I rarely went above 2000 rpm

bring it here next time!

Belper isn't that far away.
Thats not a bad idea - I do like the garage but I was a wee bit concerened that a cartridge filter change was a problem......they said they changed the filter without removing the ***embly too is that how you guys do it? Im bgetting a bit neurotic that the filter tehy showed me wasnt mine and they havent changed it... thats horrible I really hope Im wrong!