What's new

Having trouble with BlowBy

SammyWhammy

Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
I have a 2005 2.2 CTDI Accord with 86k miles on it - full service history main dealership. I've just discovered it's got quite a lot of blowBy.

I've yet to get a compression test done but is there anything else that could cause blowby on this model?

I should add that it's not losing any oil, it's not overheating and no EML on the dash.

I have a 2005 2.2 CTDI Accord with 86k miles on it - full service history main dealership. I've just discovered it's got quite a lot of blowBy.

I've yet to get a compression test done but is there anything else that could cause blowby on this model?

I should add that it's not losing any oil, it's not overheating and no EML on the dash.

Can you hear anything different to normal under the bonnet ?

Can you hear anything different to normal under the bonnet ?

nope everything sounds as it should, still pulls well like I would expect from a 140hp deisel. power steering pump is starting to fail so theres a whine from that, engine wise... is perfectly fine

Last edited:
Not a known issue at all in these engines mate. I would say it’s probably normal, and unless there’s any overheating, oil consumption or smoking then it’s normal.

What makes you think the engine has it?

the fact its blowing a shed load of oil onto my hand from the oil refill and the oil cap when left on loosely is wobbling and blowing to the side - tell tell signs of blowby, but no other symptoms are present that suggests worn piston rings or blown head gasket.

perhaps thats just how the 2.2 CTDI is.

Last edited:
Alright buddy, I'll take it as a "normal" for this engine!

Was shocked when I come across this car, especially the price he was asking for it.

Was sat for 4 years out in the open sadly so I'm afraid there could be some corrosion on the chassis, so rust converter and hammerite at the ready!

Thanks for the help anyway guys!