What's new

Haynes US Accord workshop manuals.

Andyjdmteg said:
Just read the tail end of this, freddo the file you have is it a .iso image file or are you trying to zip the individual files/contents?
see #15, #16, #19

the original DVD is 2.79 GB, but it has 5 languages (plus a very small directory "_COM" for startup). The individual English directory is about 400 MB.

The upload is a zip of a directory called "esm7gen" which contains "_COM" and "en" and the startup html file (which uses files in _COM)

Rather than zip it, I might have to create an iso instead, which would be quite a bit bigger. But before I do that, I'm just going to re-test the upload on another laptop (the download zip might have corrupted when unzipping on another laptop)

Freddofrog pm me if you need me to download and test

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

^ thanks for the offer Saj ;)

However, having just tested it on another laptop, I'm sure that the original zip and upload is ok

I re-tested it on a 10-year-old laptop with a Pentium processor running XP, it took 100 minutes to unzip the folder(s) but the ESM runs perfectly ok when unzipped.

There is no way that you can get a virus from that link, or by running the ESM when unzipped. However, if you have any or a couple of the following
1. a flaky Windows installation
2. a flaky installation of IE
3. a few potentially bad memory locations
4. a few potentially bad sectors on hard drive

then it's a BIG ask of unzip to get all the 56,000 files correct (one folder holds 21,000 html files and another holds 14,000 js files)

Note that this ESM only runs in IE. As a guide to how some problems (or even viruses) can be observed in IE, on that 10-year-old laptop, some years ago IE started to run very slowly, and I could see multiple "iexplore" processes spawning in Task Manager. Because of the way that IE works (it's like an octopus built into Windows), even though I was mostly running Chrome, I had to re-install Windows on that laptop for safety's sake. Note that that took place before I had the ESM.

Regarding the i5 laptop running Windows 8.1 that I mentioned in #19, that is the one that caused the infinite loop of IE launches from the unzipped ESM, yet the ESM runs ok on it when copied from the DVD. I'll have to check out why that happened,

late edit:
Right I've re-tested the i5 laptop running Windows 8.1.

Downloaded again, unzipped again, and exactly the same thing happened. But the original (form which the upload was originally zipped) still runs ok.

So I compared permissions and, to cut a long story short, a downloaded zip on Windows 8.1 has to be unblocked before you extract the files. If you don't unblock and extract the files/directories/etc then, when you try to execute, anything that could take control (such as javascript files) will cause the operating system to start to issue admin pop-up warnings in IE (this was what was causing the apparent "infinite loop" of IE launches)

When the zip is "unblocked" before the extraction, then it all runs ok.

So ....there is nothing wrong with my laptops, they have no viruses, 1 to 4 in my list above do not apply to them, the upload has no virus, it is perfectly safe to download the ESM from the link in #21 ;)

Moral of the story ....fully test something before making it public :mellow:

freddofrog said:
So ....there is nothing wrong with my laptops, they have no viruses, 1 to 4 in my list above do not apply to them, the upload has no virus, it is perfectly safe to download the ESM from the link in #21 ;)

Moral of the story ....fully test something before making it public :mellow:
You lot are mad, but brilliant support thanks.
Yea I have a i5, 8.1, Dell laptop.
a thousand apologies if i offended, didnt mean too, I did however need to recover, as it all went nuts, lol, spend the day reinstalling Corel Draw and Microsoft Office and other rubbish, as well as some tiling on the bathroom.
I'll have a play about later in the week, as I start a new job tomorrow.

Thanks again to everyone for their help, especially you freddofrog.

Bye the way, do you guys ever have like a get together, like a meet or a rally or something?

All I can say freddofrog wow I'm sure you lost a people's brains on that post glad my it skills are on point [emoji106]

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

hikeifulike said:
Yea I have a i5, 8.1, Dell laptop.
a thousand apologies if i offended, didnt mean to
sorry, not offended, but worried by it at the time (because I hadn't really checked it out) . I hadn't considered that I owe a "duty of care" if I'm going to upload something ..... even if it's free.

I think that Zip is quite "robust", and Zip in Windows 8.1 seems to be more robust than Zip in say Windows XP (or both versions could have identical lossless compression algorithms).

Basically I'm not sure if each compressed file within a Zip can be faithfully uncompressed in "adverse conditions" (such as those that I listed in #33). I would hope that something like Zip will detect if a bad memory location is encountered during execution but, if it doesn't, there is always the possibility that a Zip of 56,000 files (which this is) could have errors when un-compressed on a different machine. The fact that a flaw seemed to occur when executing the files, on the very same machine that was used to produce the Zip, was worrying. But having tested it on another machine and also having discovered what the cause of the "flaw" was, I'm now confident that I've performed a "duty of care" ;)

hikeifulike said:
Hi freddofrog

Thanks for the file, there might be a glitch though, I get this message when I try to open.
"Execute the Microsoft Internet Explorer® Version more than 5.0."

I am using version 11, any suggestions?

Yes you have to allow active content in top bar then application will open in new window

downloaded and tested ;)
did on my pc managed to unzip within 2 minutes
No need to install just run honda esm and open with internet explorer allow content warning and all done

likes_3.jpg
^

honda_saj said:
Yes you have to allow active content in top bar then application will open in new window
no, as per reply #29, it always puts up the message "Execute the Microsoft Internet Explorer® Version more than 5.0." because of the following snippet of code in HONDAESM.HTML ...
<noscript>
<p>Execute the Microsoft Internet Explorer&#x00AE; Version more than 5.0.</p>
</noscript>

If one edits out that code, that message no longer appears

Also, it runs best in IE 8 or 9

honda_saj said:
downloaded and tested ;)
did on my pc managed to unzip within 2 minutes
No need to install just run honda esm and open with internet explorer allow content warning and all done
Now put the folder onto the XP laptop running the HDS and it's possible to check Accords in one's area with an ancient laptop ;)

hmmm...

sorry for my ignorance, but I have read through this whole topic twice, and I still don't know what to do with the DVD I just bought from Winchester, in order to make it a more friendly installation.

I haven't even used the disc at all since I don't want to bog my system down with whatever you men say is completely irrelevant for the English speaking user.

I would like to install it in a way that it is on my hard drive and readily available.

Is that possible?

Could someone condense the procedure please.

With all those posts that evolved, it left me confused as to what I actually need to do.

Thanks

HONDALEO said:
hmmm...

sorry for my ignorance, but I have read through this whole topic twice, and I still don't know what to do with the DVD I just bought from Winchester, in order to make it a more friendly installation.

I haven't even used the disc at all since I don't want to bog my system down with whatever you men say is completely irrelevant for the English speaking user.

I would like to install it in a way that it is on my hard drive and readily available.

Is that possible?

Could someone condense the procedure please.

With all those posts that evolved, it left me confused as to what I actually need to do.

Thanks
What operating system are you running ?

Sent from my LG-K100 using Tapatalk

Hi honda_saj.

I have a few options, Windows 7 or XP or Vista.

I had to use the DVD today as I needed information immediately, although I still would like to have the information on the HDD for quick reference, without any non relevant informations such as foreign languages.

Thanks

I wish I had seen this first I have just bought an Haynes mainly for electronics and trim strip down , the one I am getting is a 2nd edition , and covers Honda Accord 2003-2012 and the Crosstour 2010 - 2014 .

HONDALEO said:
Hi honda_saj.

I have a few options, Windows 7 or XP or Vista.

I had to use the DVD today as I needed information immediately, although I still would like to have the information on the HDD for quick reference, without any non relevant informations such as foreign languages.

Thanks
Ok you need to copy _com, en folders onto hard drive into a folder along with hondaesm file and then create shortcut to this file all done ensure you enable active x when prompted.

w00dman said:
Hi everyone,

Can please someone upload again the ESM?

Thanks you.
Is there problem with download ?

w00dman said:
Yes, the link from Dropbox doesn’t work.

If anyone could upload again I would appreciate.

Thank you
Ok will do

freddofrog said:
I've just uploaded the 138MB zipped "esm7gen" directory (english only) to a Dropbox account ----> https://www.dropbox.com/s/sqffgrgyzl86lhp/esm7gen.zip?dl=0

Available to anyone ;)

late edit:

I thought I better provide an image of "esm7gen" Properties when unzipped

esm7gen_properties.jpg
I tried to open the link. Computer said no. Apparently the file isn't in Dropbox anymore?

Should not have been pm me and I will send key