What's new

Head Lamp Bulbs

John M.

Members
Reaction score
Car
6th Gen. 1.8iS
Guys, as most are aware the 6th Gen h/lamps are very poor, so I fitted Osram Nightbreakers, a good improvement but they only lasted 3 months (driving with lights on all the time), anyway fitted another set of Osram's and the same thing again, approx 3 months use and they're gone again. So, has anybody got advise on what other brand of uprated h/lamp bulbs I should try this time?

Guys, as most are aware the 6th Gen h/lamps are very poor, so I fitted Osram Nightbreakers, a good improvement but they only lasted 3 months (driving with lights on all the time), anyway fitted another set of Osram's and the same thing again, approx 3 months use and they're gone again. So, has anybody got advise on what other brand of uprated h/lamp bulbs I should try this time?

Did you use the Nightbreaker Plus? These seem to last about twice as long at the standard nightbreakers? But yes, these "brighter" bulbs blow pretty quickly compared to the standard bulbs - I see it as a trade off between light output and MTBF.

I am disappointed by the output of the standard bulbs too but I can't honestly remember changing them in 8yrs. I've went through a few side lights, but as far as I can remember my headlights are the ones in the car I got in 2005. Infact I know for sure I've never changed an indicator or rear bulb at all.

Guess I'll be sticking with standard after reading this.

Those Osram are infamous for having a short life! Get yourself some Philips Xteme vision, they last much longer, I have a pair sitting on my desk waiting to be fitted :blush:

Let us know how you get on with them. Am gonna report any issues in one of my threads and see how long mine last when I fit them.

Let us know how you get on with them. Am gonna report any issues in one of my threads and see how long mine last when I fit them.

I sure will. I have a theory (could be total bull mind) but this time I'm going to buy them over the counter rather than buying them from the eBay etc and cut out the postage as I reckon posting bulbs can't be ideal for their lifespan...

^ True, although if it was badly packaged they would most likely be DOA from any heavy bangs and shakes, I bought mine from Amazon for £18 free delivery, well packaged.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-12972-XVS2-X-Treme-Vision-Bulbs/dp/B00440CWCG

The standard display packaging for Osram Nightbreaker Plus (90%) bulbs is actually very robust and looks 'postal proof'. I got mine for around 15 quid from Amazon and they've been working reliably for nearly a year.

Unfortunately, I can't claim that I've noticed them being particularly bright though...

they've been working reliably for nearly a year.

Jon G, h/lights on always or just at night & how many miles a year do you do? As for postal proof, I'd agree but I was thinking the packaging is not shock/vibration proof and if not, would it not be fair to suggest that would effect the lifetime of the bulbs, I guessing it would.

Jon G, h/lights on always or just at night & how many miles a year do you do? As for postal proof, I'd agree but I was thinking the packaging is not shock/vibration proof and if not, would it not be fair to suggest that would effect the lifetime of the bulbs, I guessing it would.
Good point, I only use headlights at night and I don't cover many miles these days (especially at night). I'm not sure whether shaking a lit headlamp bulb is worse than shaking an unlit one. Wherever you buy it from, it's been delivered from the factory... which could be half way round the planet.

I've been running 100w bulbs for a while now
They are really good!!

Asim, I thinking about fitting them, I know they're illegal for road use but hell the standard lights could be classed as illegal too for being so poor. My main concern was if the h/lamp loom & plug connector would stand up to the extra wattage. Have you checked your loom & plug since fitting them?

What did you get in the end John?

I've had the Philips Xtreme bulbs fitted for a few weeks now and not really sure what to make of them. They feel around 10-15% brighter but don't seem to make a massive amount of difference. :unsure: But then again my boot is currently weighed down so the front is kinda pointing upwards!

The standard display packaging for Osram Nightbreaker Plus (90%) bulbs is actually very robust and looks 'postal proof'. I got mine for around 15 quid from Amazon and they've been working reliably for nearly a year.

Unfortunately, I can't claim that I've noticed them being particularly bright though...

Try taking off your sun glass's B)