What's new

Headlight Bulbs

HID xenon efficiency is about twice that of regular halogen, not even HIR comes close. but do bear in mind our h1 halogen projector bowl is vastly different from the HID variant, on the bright side(lol) projectors are less sensitive to light source placement, so even with a hid kit, your beam pattern will retain the cutoff and hotspot characteristics of a halogen bulb
it won't be new car sharp, but it also won't blind others if it's adjusted properly

Great detail
HID xenon efficiency is about twice that of regular halogen, not even HIR comes close. but do bear in mind our h1 halogen projector bowl is vastly different from the HID variant, on the bright side(lol) projectors are less sensitive to light source placement, so even with a hid kit, your beam pattern will retain the cutoff and hotspot characteristics of a halogen bulb
it won't be new car sharp, but it also won't blind others if it's adjusted properly
Understood thanks! Just one last thing,how does heat output compare to halogen? These burn cooler i think but by how much?

I don't have a real number for you, but I live on hoth and my hids still defrost my headlamps and drive moisture out

I don't have a real number for you, but I live on hoth and my hids still defrost my headlamps and drive moisture out
The moisture issue was a concern yes but you've put my mind at ease! Appreciate your input ta

Bought this kit and installed them yesterday following the guide above and fantastic difference!! Now have white lights rather than yellow ones and fingers crossed less blown bulb issues !!

hi all. apologies for no capitals but the left hand shift button has stopped working. it seems i am not the only one with headlight issues. i have a couple of questions that may have been answered elsewhere. apologies if so.
1. i have an 06 accord 2.2 diesel saloon. it has the clear indicator and not so many of the "grooves" on the side light. is this a facelift? i mean front of course

2. can i fit a pre facelift (will it fit) if am not bothered about aesthetics, say from an 03-05

3. i cant see for toffee. the magnifying lense type thing in the dipped beam is cracked and throws the light everywhere except the road. is that replacable cheap?

4. Incidentally, i tried a 100w bulb - which is probably what cracked the lense? these are the worst dipped beam headlights i have ever had on a car.

cheers,

steve

@Steve Swann yes you can fit a headlight cluster from an 03-05 to an 06.
I've similar issue as yourself, noticed after fitting the hid kit that passengerside projector lense had vertical a crack, but you've to really look for it to notice it.. not easily replaceable really.. guess you're gonna have to take the whole cluster apart to get to it... but I didn't bother as mine is fine keeping lights on the road.

you can pop the projector out from the back of the housing if you carefully squish the housing with a g clamp to make the hole sligthly oval
sourcing a replacement lens may prove difficult, but morimoto sells 2.5in tsx-r clear lenses that may or may not work. they definitely work for accords that came equipped with HID from factory

thanks both. I will probaby buy an 03 - 05 light cluster and take the aesthetics on the chin. My lights are so bad at the moment I cant really drive at night more than about 20 mph. I'll take night of all the comments regarding bulb choice too.

Steve

I'm sure there must be some braking facelift accords on ebay somewhere, wouldn't there...

quick question, when did they become fail?
I thought it was alright for MOT long as you've projector lamps... that's why I installed HIDs in my 7th Gen 03...
I mean our 7th Gen 07 already has factory HIDs in projector lamps.

Seeing as nobody replied.

Therefore a HID headlamp unit sold in the aftermarket should:

• be type approved to ECE Regulation 98 as a component
  • when fitted to the vehicle should enable ECE Regulation 48 to be complied with (although no government inspection will take place)
  • comply with RVLR as far as “use” is concerned
In practice this means:
  • the headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be “e-marked” to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo, etc - who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory

etc etc.

So, if your headlight ***embly is ECE Reg 48 approved you should have no problem fitting HID bulbs, but any other type out there is an automatic MOT failure

You could always fit standard halogens on the day of the MOT and then change back the day after.......

My lights are so bad at the moment I cant really drive at night more than about 20 mph.
Well i tried a restoration kit and finished off with a laquer but the results were far from perfect.Dug out the Tcut and spent half n hour removing sealer and buffing the lens.Amazingly it left me with a smooth glass like finish,looks like new.Yes theres no UV protection but so what,my light output is crystal clear white.If they begin to cloud in 12 months ill do same again....absolutely no need to waste money on products that give worse results.

Last edited:
Oh i have yet to get around to installing my HID kit but i will during xmas hols when i have more time

I find solvol Autosol works well enough that I only polish back the corrosion every two years. It also leaves a fine film of protection against sun unless throw detergent over the car and wash it.

Nice too....so long as NO damage/burning/scoring is caused to the plastic lens you have nothing to loose.My aim was to remove the laquer,i only ended up with new looking lens by chance.Id have laughed if someone had recommended t-cuting them lol
If car was newish id have just bought brand new lights but my accord is 16 years old now so like many of us we will restore as cheaply as able.
Really looking forward to having my xenon lights...never been troubled by blown bulbs but the extra light will be a bonus.

As it would seem that HID are a no go! was thinking of a pair of these:-
Philips automotive lighting 11258XUX2 X-tremeUltinon LED car Headlight Bulb (H1), 6.500K, Set of 2
from Amazon at £108.
the box mentions that they are not for use on public roads! i expect because of the greater light output-I may be wrong.

Well i tried a restoration kit and finished off with a laquer but the results were far from perfect.Dug out the Tcut and spent half n hour removing sealer and buffing the lens.Amazingly it left me with a smooth glass like finish,looks like new.Yes theres no UV protection but so what,my light output is crystal clear white.If they begin to cloud in 12 months ill do same again....absolutely no need to waste money on products that give worse results.
I T cut mine too. They are crazed a bit internally but the car cost me under 500 quid and I plan on staying cheap.

has anyone tried replacing high beams for HIDs?
The problem with that is that you aren't able to flash the high beam, which is a legal requirement in most countries.

BTW brake fluid is meant to cut through UV faded plastic. I haven't tried this because I recently polished my lights.

Speaking of polished lights, while my lights look nice and clear now in daytime, when I switch on the light I can see lots of micro fracturing in the plastic lens itself, which looks ugly. The UV in my part of the world is rather insane though. I wonder if anyone sells just the outside lens.

I can see lots of micro fracturing in the plastic lens itself, which looks ugly. The UV in my part of the world is rather insane though. I wonder if anyone sells just the outside lens.
If i look closely i can see the what appear to be cracks too but you have to get very close to see them.My lenses are 15 years old now and are in decent shape...not new but much improved on before.
As for replacing outer lens you can buy them.I found some on a random site i forget where also aliexpress.I considered buying from the latter but seller couldn't tell me whether they were pre facelift or not so i gave up.

I can't find outer lenses for the non-US Mk7 at all. Not even when I look for Acura TSX. Every other generation and type is catered for but for some reason only the US Mk7 Accord with the triangular headlights are covered by aftermarket manufacturers. Seems odd, given the popularity of the CL7-9 body shape.

Second hand headlights.. well here in AU they are all going to be UV damaged, and aftermarket headlights there are some complaints about these lacking the clean projection patterns of OEM lights.

If anyone has any ideas I'm keen to hear them.