Headlight conversion from OEM to ATR

gordon

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord SE 2001
Hi guys

I have searched on the from for this and nothing comes up :(
On the CTRO form and EP sqad form people have changed the standerd headlights to xenons but have had ether fitting problems or wiring problems :S

I want to take my standerd headlights out and fit the ATR headlights in. if any1 has done this it would be most helful to no how easy it was or if there was any complcations with doing this.

any1 else with there thoughts of veiws plz let me no thanks :)

Forgot to say i just bought a set of ATR headlights for £150 LOL

did you buy headlight adjuster control unit and leveling sensor? they are needed if you changing to HID because it can't be manual level control with them :)
Also have you ballast for HID?

did you buy headlight adjuster control unit and leveling sensor? they are needed if you changing to HID because it can't be manual level control with them :)
Also have you ballast for HID?

only 2008 and on need auto leveling to pass MOT, mines is 2001 so is exempt from the test but i do like the idea of fitting a level sensor so i dont need to bother with it.

yes the ballasts are built on to the lighting unit and then run up from under neath and go through the standerd gromet with a D2S fitment style for the bulb.

Hey Gordon. I know 2 people that have done this conversion on their cars, and it really was just a case of out with old, in with the new.

The only thing to concentrate on is making sure that the ballasts (which are underneath the light), is securely mated to the standard cables for the normal lights....if that makes sense to you. :lol:

It really is an easy thing to do, and shouldn't take longer than an afternoon.

If you want i can ask one of the dudes who has it done if he minds, then give you his number incase you want to call to ask him any questions.

only 2008 and on need auto leveling to pass MOT, mines is 2001 so is exempt from the test but i do like the idea of fitting a level sensor so i dont need to bother with it.

yes the ballasts are built on to the lighting unit and then run up from under neath and go through the standerd gromet with a D2S fitment style for the bulb.

MAybe so maybe not...
In my country it is required that vehicle with HID fitted must have headlamp washers and autoleveling....and doesn't matter if it is original headlamp or aftermarket.
My friend didn't pass MOT because autoleveling didn't work, even if he had original and law approved headlamps. but maybe our countries law are different in some cases :)
I searched a little bit law of UK and nowhere is written about year of manufacturing of vehicle for that...
http://***ets.dft.gov.uk/publications/dft-information-sheets/aftermarket-hid-headlamps.pdf

2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and selflevelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle
suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling
suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on
with the main beam.

So, I believe,the only thing why you can pass MOT is that technician maybe can't check autoleveling or don't know the law...

So, I believe,the only thing why you can pass MOT is that technician maybe can't check autoleveling or don't know the law...

The MOT is nothing to do with the law. MOTs pass if none of the Reasons for Rejection are met from the Inspection Manual (section 1.7 for HIDs).

but anyway I think I said a true thing

"Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge
(HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted
with headlamp washers and a suspension or
headlamp self levelling system.
Where such systems are fitted, they must work;
however, it is accepted that it may not be possible
to readily determine the functioning of self levelling
systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt
must be given. "

but anyway I think I said a true thing

however, it is accepted that it may not be possible
to readily determine the functioning of self levelling
systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt
must be given. "

You did, yes, and the most important line is:
"Where such systems are fitted, they must work"

Hey Gordon. I know 2 people that have done this conversion on their cars, and it really was just a case of out with old, in with the new.

The only thing to concentrate on is making sure that the ballasts (which are underneath the light), is securely mated to the standard cables for the normal lights....if that makes sense to you. :lol:

It really is an easy thing to do, and shouldn't take longer than an afternoon.

If you want i can ask one of the dudes who has it done if he minds, then give you his number incase you want to call to ask him any questions.

thanks Simon this was the info i was looking for :D a will defos double check my ballasts is ;) by the looks of things there is nice wee bracket on them :D will post pics when there hear.

LOL i am liking all the advice btw!

I did speak to 5 diffrent garages and have had lots of diffent replys, 1 was very helful because he didnt know the anwser so he got in touch with VOSA. according to VOSA only cars after 2008 must have auto leveling and washers but prior its only if fitted on the car, and for aftermarket as long as the beam patter is correct then it will pass if it meets all the 2008 on requirements.

most would pass if there working lol

If you have HID then you must have the washers and levellers too. You can't have one without the other. The washers are not optional. But as stated the benefit of the doubt has to be given to the levellers as they can't be checked.

In VOSA's official inspection DVD to testers they stated that after market conversions are held to the same standards as factory fitted ones.

LOL i am liking all the advice btw!

I did speak to 5 diffrent garages and have had lots of diffent replys, 1 was very helful because he didnt know the anwser so he got in touch with VOSA. according to VOSA only cars after 2008 must have auto leveling and washers but prior its only if fitted on the car, and for aftermarket as long as the beam patter is correct then it will pass if it meets all the 2008 on requirements.

most would pass if there working lol
Interesting indeed, I think this is very good info indeed. Anyone else confirm this?

If you have HID then you must have the washers and levellers too. You can't have one without the other. The washers are not optional. But as stated the benefit of the doubt has to be given to the levellers as they can't be checked.

In VOSA's official inspection DVD to testers they stated that after market conversions are held to the same standards as factory fitted ones.

yes but if there is no headlight washers fitted to the car and is fitted with standerd xenons and is before 2008 then its roadlegal as told to me my the michanic who called VOSA. but if you fit a set of aftermarket Xenons into a headlight that is only been made for a halogen bulb then it must have washers + self-leveling and the beam paterren comply.
Now this will pass a MOT but wither it passes the Police :S

think al ask the traffic police and c what there angle is on it :huh: cos this is really annoying not having the right info.

been roadligal and passing a mot seem to be two diffrent thing LOL

Hi guys

I have searched on the from for this and nothing comes up :(
On the CTRO form and EP squad form people have changed the standerd headlights to xenons but have had ether fitting problems or wiring problems :S

I want to take my standerd headlights out and fit the ATR headlights in. if any1 has done this it would be most helful to no how easy it was or if there was any complcations with doing this.

any1 else with there thoughts of veiws plz let me no thanks :)

yes but if there is no headlight washers fitted to the car and is fitted with standerd xenons and is before 2008 then its roadlegal as told to me my the michanic who called VOSA. but if you fit a set of aftermarket Xenons into a headlight that is only been made for a halogen bulb then it must have washers + self-leveling and the beam paterren comply.
Now this will pass a MOT but wither it passes the Police :S

think al ask the traffic police and c what there angle is on it :huh: cos this is really annoying not having the right info.

been roadligal and passing a mot seem to be two diffrent thing LOL

its illegal to put hid light if headlamp is made for halogen at all... and show me at least one car with HID and without washers....

If you have HID then you must have the washers and levellers too. You can't have one without the other.
I have HIDs and don't have self leveling. So you can have one without the other. :D

The DVD is irrelevant, the IM is all that matters, see my posts in the MOT thread here and here.

its illegal to put hid light if headlamp is made for halogen at all... and show me at least one car with HID and without washers....

yes and no, its illegal because the headlight was never desgined to have a HID fitted.
But for MOTing as long as its beampattern is correct and has to have auto-leveling and washers, because it has to be at the same standerds and comply with new built cars.

I can go 1 better heres two :p JDM honda civic has self-leveling lights but no washers and same with a toyota levin BRZ,

spent an hour talking to a mechanic last night and a think its how you interpret the info.

so car may not be fitted with the stuff.

total mind feld, today i plan and asking the police what thay think.

^^Glad it's not just me that thinks that!!!

awwwwwe no way!!! :eek: thats totally put a downer on it then! any ideas y there rubbish in the rain? i no they come fitted with 4300K, if you uped the colour temp would this make them better?

anyways some new for yous whoop whoop they came to day :D

Mine is probably down to colour temp, also the HID bulbs tend to deteriorate over time, so it may just be a case that i need to buy new bulbs (which aren't cheap by the way).

If you get the sport lights they are almost identical and has no lense

Stick to the accord sport lights, with the black outlining, and get HID's
If you get the sport lights they are almost identical and has no lense
You mean HIDs in a reflector lens with no projector headlamp? That's like having main beam on all the time - great for you but blinds everyone else on the road.

If you aint got an atr its ok because you can adjust the height of the light, unlike my atr which is auto levelling.

You mean HIDs in a reflector lens with no projector headlamp? That's like having main beam on all the time - great for you but blinds everyone else on the road.

agreed :eek: hope am not drivin gby any1 who has done that, will need my shades B) in a non cool way LOL

If you aint got an atr its ok because you can adjust the height of the light, unlike my atr which is auto levelling.

well ave been looking for a ATR to get a auto leveling sensor coz a thought a needed it, there like looking for gold dust in the scrapys and any 1 ave seen been broken the guys dont no where it is :(

As well as the auto leveller, you will need the headlight ecu which sits under the dash and the levelling motors.

Self levelling lights are also known to have faults, so you could do all that and end up with one of your lights periodically pointing at the floor two foot in front of you, or worse still both.