What's new

Headlight problem

accord20se

Reaction score
Car
2001 Accord 2.0 SE
Hi everyone,

Used to be an active member on the old thaoc page but turns out I've never posted on here.

Got a problem on my dads runabout (1999 'V' Accord 1.8) and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on a solution.
One of the headlight bulbs went out so when he went to change it he noticed it was really dull on the drivers side, so proceeded to try another bulb. After 3 attempts and still nothing we took a bulb from my Accord and it was the same so there must be a fault elsewhere.
The symptoms are when dipped beam is on the drivers side is dull and when you switch on high beam the passenger side lights up normally but the drivers headlight practically switches off with all bulbs barely lighting up. The other strange thing is the blue main beam light on the dash doesn't come on at all.

Any help would be much appreciated before I start stripping down the electrics.

Thanks

Welcome along mate. Could this be alternator related perhaps? I'm sure the 6th gen boys will be along shortly to offer more specific advice.

Strange, never heard this issue but it's obviously a problem with the electrical current. I would check the earth first and clean them up if neccesary.

You will find them on the inner wings near the headlight. Looks like a metal spider, one 10mm bold holding in multiple earths.

Check the bulb socket holder isn't deteriorating too. Swap it with the opposites side to see if that changes anything

I'll have a look at both those options tomorrow - when its not hammering down with rain!
I thought it might hav been a bad earth or a short somewhere. Hopefully it is something simple like the holder as I have a spare set of headlights for it. Always handy to have!!!

Problem solved! Not sure exactly what caused it but it eventually blew the fuse for the headlight so changed that, cleaned the earth point and checked the bulb holder. This may be the reason but the plastic was crumbling and the connections loose so these were probably why it was shorting out. Swapped it over with my spare headlight and all fixed it.
Thanks for helping solve it!