What's new

Headlight Restoration

jsmith89

Members
Reaction score
Car
1.8 VTEC Sport
When I first went to view my Sport, I noticed the headlights had started to go yellow and discoloured. They were nothing compared to some Mk6 Accords I had been to see previously that week, but none the less I still wanted them like new!

So I bought a Meguiars Headlight restoration kit off Ebay.

meg_zpshhlvx0kg.png

Followed the easy instructions and after a short while it made my headlights as good as new! I'm extremely impressed with this kit and I would highly recommend this product to anyone.

IMG-20150820-WA0008_zpsawkfiqpi.jpeg

IMG-20150820-WA0006_zpsb7hsk0bd.jpeg

Mine failed its MOT for this. Found the answer on YouTube - toothpaste. This worked quite well (well enough to pass it's MOT). I later used Plastic Polish which was a further improvement. Worth a go if money's tight...

Good job man, only problem with these is they seem to last a year befor eyou have to do it again. I saw a video on youtube a whileback where someone did a vid on sanding down the lights then spraying anti yellow laquer which permanently seals the unit.

Yea I sealed mine after I polished them up with some Quixx Headlight sealer which I had left over from when I done my Corolla.

That does look good.

I had a similar problem on my last one, but used fine wet and dry plus some brasso metal polish. It made a big difference, but not as good as yours - they are like new!

I used the Meguiars kit on my A6, it does a pretty good job.

Before:

After:

It's effort to go through all the grades though.

A friend who does bodywork recommends sanding once and then just going over with a decent clear coat (not Halfords), apparently it does just as good a job and is much easier. Will try and find out what grit he recommended.

another useful cutting material is Brasso. It's also useful with badly scratched CD's (although remember to polish from the inside out, like spokes on a wheel, rather than around in circles).

In the past I've also used 3m Finesse-it - a bodywork finishing polish - which gives a very gentle cut, and a very smooth finish.

If in doubt about the agression of any cutting compound, a little water softens things a little.

This is what I'm going to try it's supposed to be a permanent fix. I'll let you know how I get on.