What's new

Headlight Unit replacement - advice please?

AdamG

Members
Reaction score
Car
2004 Accord i-ctdi
Hello everyone

I'm having a bit of a nightmare with my 04 i-ctdi exec headlights. My hand is curerently slashed to ribbons from trying to replace a drivers side blown bulb (dipped beam), and the left hand unit has a sizeable crack in it. Both are misting up, and both are unsightly. Short term solution is be a wuss, and visit my local dealer to get the bulb replaced (my hands far too abrased to try again!), but my longer term question is; are face lift headlight units a straight swap for the pre-face lifts? Or is there more to it? I did a search of the site, but drew a blank. I'm also considering going down the HID route.

Thanks for any help or advice you might throw my way.

P.S. The bulbs now in (yaaay!) but it's pointing at a considerable angle to the road surface (Booo!) I can do no more for now.

I did this mod and yes the facelift lights are a straight swap. They really lift the front end of the car for a much cleaner look..

231054_10150583842035366_861775365_18569377_7855961_n.jpg

Hi Adam

I have the same problem- my N/S looks like a rainforest and since ive replaced all the bulbs, the dipped hardly puts light on the road!

Theres a link on here showing how to change the lights too.

Thanks to F6HAD as well - good to know the facelift lights will fit- just need to find a decent set of used ones now!

Hello everyone

I'm having a bit of a nightmare with my 04 i-ctdi exec headlights. My hand is curerently slashed to ribbons from trying to replace a drivers side blown bulb (dipped beam), and the left hand unit has a sizeable crack in it. Both are misting up, and both are unsightly. Short term solution is be a wuss, and visit my local dealer to get the bulb replaced (my hands far too abrased to try again!), but my longer term question is; are face lift headlight units a straight swap for the pre-face lifts? Or is there more to it? I did a search of the site, but drew a blank. I'm also considering going down the HID route.

Thanks for any help or advice you might throw my way.

P.S. The bulbs now in (yaaay!) but it's pointing at a considerable angle to the road surface (Booo!) I can do no more for now.

Buy these. A hell of a lot cheaper than genuine Honda lights. I have seen the pre facelift lights on an Accord and i cant spot the difference. I would ***ume the facelift ones are as good.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180740627784?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Hi mate

Yeah Ive seen these too- have you fitted them to yours? I cant see that the seller has sold any of these for our Accords!

i agree tho, much cheaper than Honda..

Buy these. A hell of a lot cheaper than genuine Honda lights. I have seen the pre facelift lights on an Accord and i cant spot the difference. I would ***ume the facelift ones are as good.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180740627784?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I've just got myself an 05 Accord 2.4 I-Vtec and love it.

I am having problems with the headlights misting up and they look quite dirty inside the lenses.

I was thinking of replacing the units with the 06-08 versions as mentioned on here but not sure as I have HID's. Are the lamp holders the same for halogen and HID's or are they specific?

Cheers in advance.

Hi Andy,

The lens between the Halogen and HIDs are different with different mounts at the rear (DS2 vs H1). If you want to replace these with the 06-08 models, you're gonna need a HID headlight. Unfortunately, these are less common in the face-lift as HIDs were only fitted to the 2.4 Auto with ADAS. These are super rare.

Another alternative is to refurbish your current headlights. You can split these headlights and clean them out, I've done a few at this stage and then reseal them.

jayok said:
Hi Andy,

The lens between the Halogen and HIDs are different with different mounts at the rear (DS2 vs H1). If you want to replace these with the 06-08 models, you're gonna need a HID headlight. Unfortunately, these are less common in the face-lift as HIDs were only fitted to the 2.4 Auto with ADAS. These are super rare.

Another alternative is to refurbish your current headlights. You can split these headlights and clean them out, I've done a few at this stage and then reseal them.
Any info on how to split the headlights? My pass side headlight in fogged up

Use a home oven.

1. Check that a headlight will fit
2. Heat it to about 110-120 degrees.
3. Place some wet carboard in the bottom of the oven
4. Place the light in for 3-5 minutes. The sealing resin will soften
5. Remove from the oven
6. Immediately use a cutting knife to split the clear plastic from the base.

To re-seal.

1. Put both parts back in oven
2. Heat up again
3. Remove and push together
4. Use additional sealing to ensure the lens is waterproof.