What's new

Headlights - Are they Xenon or Halogen...?

There's a guide to uploading pictures here.

Xenons came as standard on the petrol 2.4 Exec spec Accords pre-facelift and as an optional extra on all others (2.0, Type S, SE etc). So there are more Accords with Halogens than Xenons.

If your car has xenons but isn't a pre Facelift 2.4 Exec, they were either fitted as an option extra by the original car purchaser or they're after markets fitted by a previous owner.

I think I'm right in saying this anyway, it's just being discussed in another thread. Do correct me if I'm wrong though.

steve thanks for your attention but:

the link with upload photos did helped me with anything;
still not able to upload here...and the photo is in my laptop and I want to upload from there, how others forums let you to upload...
and my car is 2003 facelift and i don't have factory xenon mounted...it's factory halogen

LE: it's facelift, no pre!
i do have headlamp washers and about the self leaving is no need because I have in ****pit the beam light adjustment.
unfortunately i will not upload photos to 1 or 10 others site so i can link it here; for me it's more easy that the forum to have all the package, but if this doesn't this is!

cheers

This forum's software does not support file hosting like many others do. Therefore you need to create a photobucket account or something similar, upload your photos to there and then link them as per my guide. There's no other way I'm afraid. But it's not as hard or complicated as it might first appear, I promise you. :)

And do you mean your car's a 2003 PRE-facelift? ;) . As someone with a 2003 Accord with Factory Xenons and temperamental self levelling system. Stick with the Halogens mate. Xenons are hassle now the MOT rules factor them in. You need headlamp washes and a working self levelling system with Xenons. In all, it's a lot of faff and not worth the upgrade in my view.

easiest way to upload pics is get a flickr account.

up pics to that, then put them on to posts with

Do you mean the silica bag to keep the headlamp dry inside? Crespo already explained this mate. It's what you get in shoe boxes and stuff. It absorbs moisture that might develop inside the light. Best to leave it there mate.

steve i will, but why someone with the same model as mine has it and others don't...and also, why it was not installed anymore after 2003 on 2004-2005?
they really find a better way to vent the headlamp or it's the same headlamp?

steve thanks for your attention but:

the link with upload photos did helped me with anything;
still not able to upload here...and the photo is in my laptop and I want to upload from there, how others forums let you to upload...

unfortunately i will not upload photos to 1 or 10 others site so i can link it here; for me it's more easy that the forum to have all the package, but if this doesn't this is!

cheers

See my post in the link, just go to http://tinypic.com/ to upload them then post the IMG code on here, it's pretty much the same number of clicks as uploading it to the forum you're just using another site to do it, no registering or anything.

I'm part quoting Jayok from another thread here:

From 2003-2005 Pre-Facelift ONLY the 2.4 Executive came with HIDs... The 2.2 diesel and 2.0 petrol executive do NOT have HIDs.

From 2006-2008 Facelift ONLY the 2.4 Auto with the optional ADAS came with HIDs. All other cars with standard Halogens.

Your is a Pre-Facelift 2.0 so you don't have HID/Xenons. Is that any clearer mate?

Edit: Sorry I realise you're talking about the silica bag and not the actual halogen/xenon. I don't know why the silica bags are in some and not others? Maybe Honda fit them as part of a warranty/recall issue or something? First time I took my car to a Honda garage, they fitted some new clips free of charge to my headlamps to prevent potential misting up... Maybe it's that kind of a thing. An on the ball Honda garage popped some in there one time..?

Xenons are hassle now the MOT rules factor them in. You need headlamp washes and a working self levelling system with Xenons. In all, it's a lot of faff and not worth the upgrade in my view.

Point of note, as we've discussed before:
http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/7796-2012-new-mot-rules/
It may be illegal to use aftermarket HID kits if your headlamp ***embly is not e-marked for their use, but it is not an MOT failure. The reason for rejection in the MOT handbook is the same as most equipment; if it's fitted it must work. If you don't have self leveling or washers then they aren't tested, simples, nothing to do with what lights you have.

Indeed, where such systems are fitted, they must work, you're right. I guess no headlamp washers, no self levelling, so be it ;) .

Erm ... just a quick one on fitting the aftermarket HID kit.

The one I got didn't come with grommets round the wires. OK, i can drill a 1" hole in the dust cap, and feed the relevant wires through.

However, how can I seal this hole? Sure, I can get a grommet to fit, but I'll have to feed the connectors through it - which means a dirty great hole in the grommet!

Is silicon going to have to be my friend again? (Him and gaffa tape and cable ties are my best mates.)

hey...no need for drill
http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/12838-how-to-slim-hid-installation-guide/
put inside the headlamp

whilst we're on the subject anyone know the rating of the OEM HID bulb?

Rating as in colour temperature? It should be 4300K.

Rating as in colour temperature? It should be 4300K.

Yeh I meant colour temperature, reason I ask is my other honda
Also have Factory HID fitted but with non projector lens, but the Accord is a lot brighter I guess it's to do with the
Lens.

Yeh I meant colour temperature, reason I ask is my other honda
Also have Factory HID fitted but with non projector lens, but the Accord is a lot brighter I guess it's to do with the
Lens.

You wouldn't get HIDs in a reflector housing from the factory. What car is it?

Its a 2006 DC5 Type R, comes with factory HID, same ballast unit with the D2R bulb as the 6th gen UK Accord Type R.

Headlamps polished, HIDs installed.

Canna wait for it to get dark now! :)

(edit)Now dark, lights far, far better - though still seem to cut off rather low in the field of vision. Might get my alignment checked.

One thing - I seem to get a brief flicker when switching them on from cold. Just a single flicker, then they stabilise and seem to be fine thereafter. Is this normal?

HID's take a moment to warm up, like they fade unto maximum brightness. Maybe this is what your seeing regards the flicker?

No, there's definitely a brief, single flicker, then they go dim and warm up as expected in a couple of seconds. Only seems to happen when they're cooled right down.

Googling about a bit, this doesn't seem to be uncommon with eBay aftermarket kits - I found a big thread about it on a Corvette forum of all places, where some guys were getting it and some not with the same HID kit.

I'll be sure to have a spare set of halogen bulbs in the boot, just in case, though!