What's new

headlights keep popping

si_d_2003

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 CTDI
Hey guys I have a 2007 2.2 accord and in 3 months I have gone through 3 pairs of head lights. I even fitted Phillips extra white and they lasted 2 weeks. One went then the other a week later. The misses has just informed me tonight that both light are gone and had to drive in the dark with side lights. Is there a common fault or any recommendations?

very strange... do you have any moisture? did you touch the glass before installing?

No glass touching, and I had moisture in one a few weeks ago but I split it an resealed it and its fine now. Bust of spent 50quid on headlights so far

i had and still have on my i-ctdi just put in £1 bulbs now,, did put a hid kit in and that lasted longer thats probably your best bet but put a good make in

Buy a pair of Honda OEM ones and see how long they last, I've been told Honda ones are long life bulbs, but if they keep blowing on you, you might have a short or something somewhere. There's no common issues with them afaik.

If I was to look for some HIDs is there any good make or company to buy them from as there are loads on ebay and dont want to waste my money buying cheap tat.

hi guys,

My first post on the forum... ;)

I too have problems with my headlights. usually replacing a bulb every 3 weeks. If I replace the left, the right will go soon after and visa versa. Its a real pain. I've resorted to cheap bulbs.

I need to check my fuses as I've heard that can cause bulbs to blow. I dread to think how much it would cost to get my cars electrics checked.

hi guys,

My first post on the forum... ;)

I too have problems with my headlights. usually replacing a bulb every 3 weeks. If I replace the left, the right will go soon after and visa versa. Its a real pain. I've resorted to cheap bulbs.

I need to check my fuses as I've heard that can cause bulbs to blow. I dread to think how much it would cost to get my cars electrics checked.
I can't see how the fuse(s) could cause a problem with bulbs blowing... and if there was a bad connection on the fuses (or elsewhere in the wiring to the headlamp bulbs) then it would become obvious as the headlights flickered and dimmed every now and again. Additionally, I suggest that if you had any other problem with your vehicle electrics (e.g. the alternator over-volting) then other electrical items switched on for long periods (tail lamps, sidelights, stereo, etc) would also be dying.
I suggest two likely culprits... firstly, check that there isn't moisture in the headlight housing, as this could condense above the lamp and then drip onto the hot glass and make it crack (there was a recall on (some?) 7th gen Accords for this problem. Secondly, buy your bulbs from a completely different retailer - I had the exact same problem a few years ago with my Accord and eventually I stopped buying bulbs from local garages and switched to Amazon, and I haven't had a problem since.
A bit can sometimes be gleaned by studying the blown bulbs... if the glass is cracked then it is probably a physical effect (such as water drips or having been handled excessively during fitting), if the filament has exploded internally (turning the inside of the glass into a mirror) then it might be due to electrical surges, or if the filament has simply broken then it could be a manufacturing defect or the bulb is being subjected to excessive vibration in use. These things aren't absolutes, but look at the previous blown ones to see if there is a 'theme' to the failures.

Welcome to TypeAccord.

Welcome to the forum. There have been a few cases of people on here with blowing bulbs. Common causes were moisture somehow getting in or cheap/incorrect bulbs. But have a search around, I'm sure you'll find something of help. Use the custom google search bar though, the forum's own one is buggy.