What's new

headlights washer - how to disable

serwerr

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.4 '03
I don't like the fact that the headlight washer pump is using too much of my screen wash in my opinion. Is there a nice way to disable the headlight washer pump? I looked for a fuse but haven't found anything...

LOL I think that's the funniest question I've heard ever :lol:

Why not just switch off your headlights each time you use it or.. just not use it :p

they work under water pressure. no pump.

try pinching the tubes?

times can't be that hard though surely?

There must be a electrical valve somewhere, because they only work with the lights on. So you could disconnect the valve.

Had the same issue with the mps but on the Mazda they came up squirted half the washer bottle and obscured the lights so people thought I were flashing them,they have to be the most useless design . I took the relay out that powered mine
They might aswell be on the back of the car the amount of cleaning the actuall do
Think I might turn the accord ones into jimmy bond style oil jets for when im in a car chase(and put them on the back)

Think I might turn the accord ones into jimmy bond style oil jets for when im in a car chase(and put them on the back)

Haha, that would be an interesting DIY project :lol:

how about a traffic warden tazer?

Did bond ever have a problem with wardens?
I'm sure if he had a licence to kill he must have had a licence to park anywhere

You can add a counter circuit to activate on x amount of pulls on the wiper stalk. its not the most ideal thing when you've just washed/waxed your car.

There will be a second high pressure pump that runs the headlight washers it certainly looks that way on the Lings picture and its £80 lol I dont know how easy it is to get to the bottle to unplug it otherwise there will be a relay for it somewhere I'd of thought.

This is a pain in the winter months when on the motorway in the dark the water is used up very quick.I haven't a solution but you will be happy to no i think the 8th gen has a separate switch.

Thats what i did on the mps removed the relay and every time it got it's services they replaced the relay shows they must have done a proper check
I were lucky there was a picture of the headlight washers on the relay box

Linky

So are 14 and 15 for the wipers? or is one for the rear, the other for the front, with 16 for the lights?

If so I stand happily corrected - just working from past advice...

It's hard to tell but I would think the headlights squirt for a set time so wouldn't that be a motor rather than a pump but saying that why have 2 motors, do the rears squirt all the time or for a set time ?

Just rethought history.... The lifting mechanism is water pressure - it is obvious there is a pump when you think about it.
Doh2.gif

That would also explain a meatier pump (according to the image of course),

It looks to me like the pump is the main supplier and the motors 14 15 are to direct or shut off the rear /front supplie

I found the fuse in the big fuse box under the bonnet (RHS) I think the label was back to front though.

Works for me....just pulled the fuse out!

Steve
Do you want a pic?

Pics = cool!

Maybe I shouldn't have been so quick to laugh, are you guys seriously disabling the headlight washer system? It's not there as a luxury, it's actually a safety feature. But hey if preserving screenwash is more important, who am I to argue.

Deffo a seperate pump just looked at the picture for mine (Facelift Tourer NO headlight washers) and I have 2 motors the same as Dan's 14 and 15. Also ifyou look at the link Dan posted you can see that all the parts that connect to item 16 lead to the headlight washers also it looksl like the normal washer pump is £80 as my car is showing the same price :eek:

Maybe I shouldn't have been so quick to laugh, are you guys seriously disabling the headlight washer system? It's not there as a luxury, it's actually a safety feature. But hey if preserving screenwash is more important, who am I to argue.

I've had a few cars now with high pressure headlight washers and in all honesty I never rated them the only ones that seem any good are the ones on my Scania truck cos it's got wiper blades that help with the water.

On my MB6 Civic the muck just used to be baked onto the headlights with the heat from the lights the washers never really seemed to do anything, maybe the accord ones are better after all the MB6 was just a rover in a party dress lol....

I reckon the Volvo ones with wipers on are a good idea but what's wrong with stopping and using a cloth
if your lights need cleaning then why not the number plates also
The Mazda ones are not safe as i went about with no or low water more often and as I said used to flash the people in front of me which didnt help with the level of aggression that some drivers have

I don't plan on disabling mine - screen wash ain't that expensive :lol:, but I do wonder how effective they are especially when half of it ends up over the bonnet... And the dimming effect coupled with the reduced visibility from the windscreen wash can be a bit unnerving sometimes in built up areas.

Mine seem to work ok really. Secret is to ensure your headlights are polished so the dirt is easily washed off with the pressure of the water. I just found the original question a bit... well.. silly.

Yes agree with Fahad on this one... polishing is the key lol... also if your really worried about them, turn off your lights (if at night switch to side lights or turn on fogs for a quik few secs) then use as normal...

yes, but not to save screenwash! last year in the winter my washer jets froze in the out position, in clearing the snow one day I broke the cover, Honda only part at £80!
Later last year had someone pull the bumper off with their lorry so was fixed when this was done. I'm not going there again so disabled the washer jets to save them freezing again.

I keep my lights very clean anyway so not an issue....

Steve

LOL I think that's the funniest question I've heard ever :lol:

Why not just switch off your headlights each time you use it or.. just not use it :p

Ha ha thats what i do, i turn the lights off when i use the washer i dont like screen wash on the paint work after cleaning lol