What's new

Heated Seat Base and Tyres - Query & Options

HairyWookie

Members
Reaction score
Car
GenVIII EX Auto
Hi folks,
Well, we have driven the Accord for over 400 miles this week, and we both love it; super smooth auto, and love the clever flexibility & behaviour of revs before a change depending how aggressive you are with the throttle. Indeed, overtaking a wagon the other day, I could've sworn it nearly touched 4K RPM; never known an Auto do that before! Swift motoring though, quite surprising for 150bhp in a 1.5 or more ton estate.

Have spotted 2 issues however;
1. The drivers seat only heats the seat back, not the base
2. The tyres are awful; noisy, dodgy on the wet & slimy back roads, uninspiring through motorway puddles (floaty I think the wife called it) and will happily scrabble if aggressive from traffic lights. Runway Performance 926 all round (£50 each I think) suspect fitted by Honda to get it through MOT.

As its under a 1 year Honda approved full warranty and 3 year servicing plan, the seat base heating is of no issue, however, before I get fed a smelly story, how complicated is it to replace the heating element or wiring in the seat base?

Also, I haven't had to buy tyres for a long time (the Coopers (Avon) on the Landcruiser come with 50K mile guarantee) so I am completely out of touch with what's good & bad out there. Auto Express 'best of 2016' is useful, but nothing better than peoples opinions from forums.
We drive a mixed pattern, motorway for commuting to work in Blackburn from Heysham but then a lot of Scottish Highland & Fife countryside back roads as that's where the wife's family live.
Are there any recommendations for what to fit to the Accord?

Looked at Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance as the best all rounder (2015 AE Commended) for £121 each fitted, but open to thoughts etc of others.

Cheers,

Chris.

I'm 28,000 miles into a set of four of those Goodyears. Paid about what you've quoted and I've not a bad word to say about them.

This is still my first set of new tyres since I replaced the mix & match (and bald) the car came with, so I've nothing to compare them against. There's a good bit of tread left (they've been swapped front to back once to keep it even) and I don't expect to be replacing them any time soon.

I paid an extra 7 quid a corner for puncture insurance and I'm glad I did: One straightforward puncture fixed a few months ago, and one on the edge not long after fitment got me a brand new tyre with no hassle or extra expense.

On the 7th gen, when the switch is on Lo, on the driver's seat the base and the back are in series. On Hi setting, they are effectively in parallel. So I presume that neither warm up on Lo ?

There are plugs under the seat, they only have to unplug them to test the resistance of each element.

Thanks Matt for the feedback on the tyres; from reading many websites, I think these get my vote.
Regarding the seat heating, I haven't seen the Gen 8 wiring diagram; a Google search revealed a million pictures, but none of them narrowed down the circuit schematic that I need.
My wife is adamant that the back works on high and low, the base works on neither. I will try it on my way home tomorrow night.
For now it's a beautiful sunny day, so shades on and AC blowing cold for the first time this year!!

This is the 8th gen heated seats circuit diagram (specifically CW3)

click to enlarge or open in new tab to zoom in (image is hi-res)

CW3_seat_heater_cct.jpg

it's slightly different from the 7th gen, but essentially works the same way

PS your car is CW3 (8th gen 2.2 diesel tourer) see here http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/19788-cl7cl8cl9cm1cm2cm3cn1cn2cu1cu2cu3cw1cw2cw3-etc/

Chris.

I am about to purchase two new tyres for my Accord and plan to fit Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance. I've recently had two fitted to my wife's Mito and they have been fine, although they are no quieter than the Michelins they replaced, despite the low noise rating. The factory fit Yokohamas on my Accord Tourer have done 27000 miles on the front wheels, including several thousand miles towing a caravan, which will have added to the wear.

If you are paying £120 for each tyre I ***ume you have 18 inch wheels. The Goodyears for the 17 inch wheels can be purchased for under £100 each.

Continental Sport Contact 5 225/50/17 on my 8th Gen Accord been on there of the last 16 months and 15K miles and about 50% worn. Purchased based on the review in Auto Express cant fault then in wet or dry- brilliant.

The Continentals get excellent reviews and were 3rd overall in this year's Auto Express test, but were top in both wet and dry handling tests. They were top last year but lost that spot to Michelin Pilot Sport 4s, mainly because of low scores on fuel efficiency and cabin noise.

The cheapest I can find them is around £120.