What's new

Heavy clutch normal?

James91

Members
Reaction score
Car
My clutch on my estate is quite heavy. Is this normal? Gear 1 is slightly harder to get into, I think I'll buy and change the gearbox oil re that issue

The clutch on my (diesel) 7th Gen seemed heavy compared to other cars, but I got used to it. If nothing else it'll stop you riding the clutch at traffic lights -unless you have Olympian legs ;-)

I too found getting first difficult. Sometimes to the point where the only way of being certain was to gently select 1st as the car slowed to a halt then take it out again. It would slip straight back in that way, where as it would fight back without this 'pre-selection'. Changing the gearbox oil, for me at least, made a significant improvement. It's a relatively easy job (there's a DIY on here somewhere). You'll need a square plug key, a funnel with a long neck (or a foot of hosepipe pushed over a short one) and 2.2L of MTF oil from Honda.

Does it feel like it's catching from 1st to 2nd? if it is you'll be needing a new clutch. Or you run the risk of chewing the gears up.

Going from 1st to 2nd? Ill check tomorrow.
Ive also just bought the MTF-3 Oil so will change the oil on the weekend and report back

Or too much in there hence hard to completely depress due to too much pressure.. what a good point
The gearbox doesn't feel like its catching from 1st to 2nd, so thats good news.