What's new

Heavy clutch?

alloy36

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 CDTi
Right guys another niggle.

My clutch feels too heavy. In fact the left side of my back has been hurting and i initially thought it was something else.

But on my way home from work i get stuck on huddersfield road dewsbury ( for those who know) and i am in constant stop start at snails pace. My suspicion is that the heavy clutch has hurt my back or at the least not helped it.

Is this normsl or does sonething need looking at?

Sorry for the constant niggles. I do love the drive of the accord but seems as i always have some issue

***uming your clutch is like mine (i don't know much about the new fancy dual ones), clutches often get heavy when they are on their way out. Mine is heavy and bites all over the place sometimes, but it's not slipping so i'm hanging on getting it done until it really needs it.

Sometimes bleeding the system with new clutch oil helps a heavy pedal too.

Try lubricating the pedal using Molykote White Grease. After I had my clutch changed on my past Accord it felt exactly the same (without the slip). I expected it to be lighter. I greased the pedal and it was like a new car. There's a guide on here if you search.

Does your peddle creak when dipping it? Another tell tale of it needing greasing.

As Paul said try this it might help.

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/46-diy-fix-clutch-creak-click-updated-6807/

Agree with Shinny swap out clutch fluid would be a good idea.

Fluid wont really make it any easier, all that will do is change the bite point slightly. All new fluid will do is get rid of any air in your system (or that has penetrated the old fluid) and any possible moisture. If your fluid has never been changed it maybe worth getting it done anyway, but it is highly unlikely to make any difference to how hard the pedal is.

The clutches are quite heavy on the accord. Its not the heaviest I have felt, but if you are in traffic and stop start for more than a few minutes it does start to ache.

I would do what Paul said and grease the pedal mechanism which is described in Bret’s link. Also as Paul said, mine felt no different in how hard it was to press once changed. If anything it should be easier to press when its about shot as the springs have lost a bit of their tension and the friction plate is thinner (although the springs do 'self adjust' in a fashion)

The sign of a failing clutch is sometimes heavy pedal feel.

And if the bite point is so far up the pedal your left knee is in the back seat!! I need to adjust mine.....