What's new

Heavy power steering

2.4_Roar

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord MKVIII 2.4
I like my accord but I've always hated the power steering. You can expect it to feel a bit numb and disconnected from the road in a big saloon but what I can't forgive is the weight of it. Does anyone know if the 7th gen accord has a power steering speed sensor or pressure valve that makes it heavier at cruising speed? Someone told me that mine might be stuck in low ***istance mode which is meant for the motorway etc?

The 2.4 Accord (not 2.0 SE) is hydraulic and doesn't have a low speed mode or whatever - but it certainly isn't heavy! In fact, most of the time, there's a need to tighten the rack so it doesn't feel sloppy!

If it feels heavy compared to others, then the pressure relief value (which the PSP) is releasing at too low a pressure and making the steering drag. This would be difficult to check, however, what is the state of your PSP fluid?

jayok said:
The 2.4 Accord (not 2.0 SE) is hydraulic and doesn't have a low speed mode or whatever - but it certainly isn't heavy! In fact, most of the time, there's a need to tighten the rack so it doesn't feel sloppy!

If it feels heavy compared to others, then the pressure relief value (which the PSP) is releasing at too low a pressure and making the steering drag. This would be difficult to check, however, what is the state of your PSP fluid?
The fluid could definitely do with a change as it's pretty dark but would that really make much of a difference?

This viscosity would make a difference, and it's a cheap test (compared to a new rack!).

However, you'll need to do some testing to determine the source. If you jack-up the front of the car (engine off) and try turning the wheel does it move easily enough or is it still stiff? If its still stiff focus on the rack itself. If it's easy to move focus on the PSP.

What's stiff versus loose is subjective, and you'l need to apply a bit of common sense, but really, you don't want to change a rack or PSP if possible. It's expensive

jayok said:
This viscosity would make a difference, and it's a cheap test (compared to a new rack!).

However, you'll need to do some testing to determine the source. If you jack-up the front of the car (engine off) and try turning the wheel does it move easily enough or is it still stiff? If its still stiff focus on the rack itself. If it's easy to move focus on the PSP.

What's stiff versus loose is subjective, and you'l need to apply a bit of common sense, but really, you don't want to change a rack or PSP if possible. It's expensive
If there isn't any high or low speed mode then I guess it's just weighted that way. I'll change the fluid and see where that gets me. Thanks for the advice and I'll post up the progress as soon as I've done it.