What's new

HELP - Brake Master Cylinder spares NOT available

Toured

Reaction score
Car
2003 Tourer 2.4
Has anyone had any problems repairing or replacing their brake master cylinder?
I have a 2003 2.4 Tourer which has a 13/16" BOSCH brake master cylinder honda part no 46101-SDD-E01.
I have started getting air in the front right & rear left brake lines with the occasional brake pedal having to be pumped to engage the brakes. I have not lost any brake fluid from anywhere so suspected the brake master cylinder letting by as the pedal also drops slightly if stationary with the foot brake on.

Now the problem:
- The brake master cylinder is no longer available from Honda
- There is no listing for an aftermarket part with any of the parts suppliers I have tried
- Honda can order me a replacement piston set at £160 and it should be available sometime in June!
- Bought a seal replacement kit from Biggred, listed for the car and it has the wrong seals in it so they gave me a refund.

I now have a car sitting on the drive with no brakes and unable to replace or repair the master cylinder. Next step is the breakers but the chance of getting anything decent is probably remote as mine has just gone after 20 years and the bore is in great condition.

Any pointers in the direction of a solution would be greatly appreciated.

Last option is to cobble together Bosch seals of the same size and wait for Honda to get a piston set in.

Thanks for the link, I was hoping to finish the repairs over the net couple of days. I will have a go at vehicle hydraulic seal suppliers on Monday (especially as one of the seals in the kit did actually fit) and based on that may have to bite the dust and order from Japan.

Fingers crossed that works. You could also ask a UK importer if they could get the part for you, as it may be slightly cheaper and easier for you. For example tegiwa imports will usually try and get a part in from Japan if you email them.

Thanks, checked both links:
First has 10mm fittings whereas mine has 12mm fittings - aarrghg!
Second is for left hand drive and totally different body - aarrgghh no.2!

OKAY, so they are 20 years old but I am really hoping Monday morning on the phone to seal suppliers will get a result.

A few years ago I had the same problem with my wife's 2004 Type S Civic UK spec, but as only 500 were ever made, I can understand that.

2.4 accords are relatively common, what was Honda playing at with so many master cylinder variants? Making cars that last is becomming their Achilles Heel, there are a lot more older Hondas out there than many other makes. Achilles heel in this case are a few low cost seals!

Attachments

• Piston Seals.jpg
    Piston Seals.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Pistons.jpg
    Pistons.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 4
Rather than seek parts from Honda, have you tried asking Bosch direct ?

https://www.bosch-engineering.com/portfolio/engineering-services/safety-and-***istance-systems/

the strangest thing about this is the fact that for some reason it's not just another honda parts bin master cylinder, even on models with the same weight, caliper bores and master cylinder bores like odyssey/legend/ascot/inspire/rl, the accord master cylinder is completely unique. normally the fluid cup sits a little different with the master being the same across different models. (trust me, I've looked)
baffling choice given that clutch master and slave are the same on like all 2000s hondas, so why not the bmc?

Tried Bosch on Friday but have to call on Monday as no technical staff were available.
Bought a seal from BIGGRED kit but the seals are not the correct size and all the kits found online are the same.
Was hoping to have the car back on the road this week as going away with 4 kayaks and bikes next week and the Civic just doesn't cut it. It will be a few more weeks till the bmc would get delivered so I have a Bosch and few seal suppliers to call on Monday so keeping my fingers crossed.

Nope, Left hand drive, connections are on thewrong side and wrong angles!
I'm getting good at recognising everything that is not UK Accord brake master cylinder and it only started on Wednesday last week!

Managed to find a second hand part, which I took a risk on (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325573534814). Although it is a different part number (46101-SEF-E53), everything about it is identical!. Fitting it tonight so will soon find out.

If all is fine then the Herth & Buss one should be identical. Thanks

Latest update

Second hand part , although a different part number, was identical. Fitted it, bled the brakes and pedal was firm. Held the pedal and started the car and the brake pedal fell to the floor. Although the unit held up, when the brake booster kicked in it failed and had absolutely no brakes!

Luckily my back up plan came through - I contacted a company called 'Past Parts Ltd' in Bury St Edmunds and they do a lot of classic car brake parts. Gave them the dimensions and they found a 'similar' sized seal to what was on the car in their database. Ordered three '17-7033' seals at £3.42 plus vat and postage. Fitted them, bled the brakes and can now brake. The seals were a bit grabby in the first couple of days but sem to have settled it.

Not totally 100% happy with the brake performance compared to my wifes Civic but it is a much heavier car when fully loaded. I think the springs within the master cylinder have weakened over 20 years so will order an internal kit or full replacement as I have a working car in and time now on my side.

Another odd issue, when fitting the new seal kit and comparing the internals to the service manual, I seem to have a Bosch mastercylinder fitted with Nissin internals but it is the original part as I have had the car from when it was 5 years old with no master cylinder change on the service record. Seems like someone at Honda had a brake part number meltdown a couple of decades ago!