What's new

Help cl7 clutch issue ?

Busman1

Members
Reaction score
Car
In between accords
Hi guys can anyone help ? , I've started to get a slight problem with my clutch I have a cl7 2.0 se manual just hit 80k and when I'm releasing the clutch sometimes ( but getting more regular ) there is slight judder and a high pitched squeal whine only ever had it in 1st gear pulling away
e144036728fc5a7c6adfb44f1264db1b.jpg
can anyone help or no possibly what it is ? , it does not slip at all and has never done even on full chat or hard driving .Ive been to Honda today to get the airbag recall booked in and they said £650 all in for a clutch but if the flywheel is glazed ? It probably be over £1k and that's mental the cars only worth about £2k , any ideas guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are sure it's clutch? Not belt squeaking?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Definitely clutch mate only happens in 1st gear when pulling away , belts are all good you can Rev it not in gear and all good no noises at all , I'm just hoping it's not the flywheel as that's just stupid money mate

Probably thrust bearing, and 80k is usual life of clutches on these cars :(

£650 is the Honda price for a clutch change, but new flywheel puts up the price

Judder might not be flywheel related, might be due to thrust bearing on the release fingers

Ask to supply your own clutch,buy exedy for 230 and there honda happyness fitting is around £330
If the worst happens buy a lightweight flywheel for 200

Everyone hates main dealers because of there prices,but the one near me is great.i get a quote of them,then my local garage for labour only,then take the quote back to honda,they have never price matched but have come close,that i normally take it to honda

Last time they missed to reconnect an earth cable,they offered me a free mot,they found a drive shaft oil leak and fixed it for free

The only thing I can see wrong with that is , if I put it in to Honda and pay the £650 it's all guaranteed parts and labour , but if I supply the clutch they might be funny and if something happens or isn't quite right after I leave they might not do anything unless I pay for the labour again , I new somebody a few years ago that it happened to at a skoda main dealer it was a nightmare for him

Get a price from HH as a clutch kit for your car is under £200 not including fly wheel and not fitted.
So that is a hell of a lot for labour on a petrol car.

Il have to see about it a bit more my mate at work says possibly could be thrust bearing or release bearing so Gona have to delve a little deeper and ask a few different people to get an idea , it's beginning to make me annoyed and thinking of wanting to sell now [emoji31][emoji31][emoji31][emoji31]

The whine you hear in 1st gear is 99% clutch bearing, had the same issue, replaced the bearing when did the clutch and the noise is gone.
The judder you feel could be the clutch springs and/or clutch disk gone. Overall, it's just about time to change it, otherwise, it will start damaging the flywheel, and then it gets pricey :)

As freddofrog said, 80-85k is the life of these clutches.

Ye cheers guys had a word with a good mechanic at work and he said the same , it's the thrust bearing so got to make a decision to change the clutch or sell ? , but if I sell I'm going to loose some money , what do you guys think it's worth ? . Thanks

TBO Jon a clutch is a wear and tear part of any car so I would get it done.
If you sell what is to say the clutch goes on your next car in 6 months.

Well, I'm not that familiar with labour prices in the UK, but a new original clutch from Coxmotorparts is 180pounds, so the labour price seems pretty expensive to me.
I guess, if you've maintained the car well, there's no rust and everything works, keep it. And talk with some other mechanics about the labour.

Cheers guys yes it's invert good condition other than me wanting a machine polish for it to take some swirl marks and scratches out its spot on and as new underneath aswell the bottom of engine and box is so clean I would eat me dinner of it haha , I love the car but since I had a go at my ep3 type r I've got the urge for one again , I no £650 is a lot for a clutch fitted but parts and labour are guaranteed from Honda , I've asked around and other garages say labour around £200 but have they done one before ? , Honda tech guys must of done them before so I'm stuck guys [emoji31][emoji31][emoji31] , how much you think it's worth if I sell as is but il put a fresh mot on it ? .thanks

Busman1 said:
Cheers guys yes it's invert good condition other than me wanting a machine polish for it to take some swirl marks and scratches out its spot on and as new underneath aswell the bottom of engine and box is so clean I would eat me dinner of it haha , I love the car but since I had a go at my ep3 type r I've got the urge for one again , I no £650 is a lot for a clutch fitted but parts and labour are guaranteed from Honda , I've asked around and other garages say labour around £200 but have they done one before ? , Honda tech guys must of done them before so I'm stuck guys [emoji31][emoji31][emoji31] , how much you think it's worth if I sell as is but il put a fresh mot on it ? .thanks

There are plenty of people who got the clutch changed by independent garages without any issues. The law on any work done by any garage on a car of this age is that nothing has to go wrong with the repair or anything ***ociated with the repair for 3 months (might be 6 months)

Regarding value, depends on whether the buyer knows about the clutch issue, plus the age of the car, and the mileage.

See this thread http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/21675-whats-it-worth/

Just booked mine in at Holdcroft Honda, under £600 so happy enough though having to sell some of my retro computers sob sob ! I did get a cheaper quote but was getting messed about and wasn't reassured that they were that bothered to get my custom so decided to play it safe on go with Honda.