What's new

Help with wiring of Mirror "AutoFold" / "AutoTilt" Kit

JezUK

Reaction score
Car
2006 Accord 2.4 EX+
Hi,

In my pursuit to have my electric mirrors autofold on my 2006 2.4 Honda Accord, I spent a lot of time sourcing (and finding) what seems to be the only supplier that does this kit (they're in Malaysia). They have a ton of videos on YouTube showing cars with successfully installed Autofold mirrors and apparently the kit I've ordered, and received, will do my particular car as well (as well as do an 'auto-tilt' of the mirrors when reverse is selected).

At the time of purchase, my original plan was that I was to fit this myself, until I opted for the extra AutoTilt function, upon which the ***istant advised it'd be best me getting an auto-electrician to fit this for me....

Now that I've received *one* price to do the install (2-3 hours work at £90 an hour which could work out a bit too much than I am prepared to pay) I'm really wondering if I could indeed do it myself and save those £'s....

The item is supposed to be pretty much a plug-play device and I'm confident I can take the driver's door panel off and should be able to plug connectors to one another easy enough as well...

But it's these 4 loose wires (see photo and install diagram) is where/what I'm unsure about - I believe/guess they need to get spliced into the car's existing wiring and they are Red (for the power, I guess), Green and Blue (which I looks like it goes to the lock mechanism, 'somehow'.....), and the yellow (to the gearbox, for when reverse is selected and the 'autotilt' operation comes into effect (again, 'somehow'.......).

Until I take off the driver's door panel, I'm left guessing where I'd find where to splice the Red, Green and Blue wires.....

.... but that Yellow wire.... I'm suspecting would get spliced into the reverse light wiring (I know this having installed a rear view mirror cam to my previous Honda). A wire like that though I would have thought would be quite some distance away from the driver's door panel (since when I installed the rear view mirror cam in my previous Honda, that reverse wire was found at the back of the car.....). I can't imagine I'd find a reverse light wire in the driver's door?

Any thoughts/ideas before I do commit myself to this diy project? (apart from "don't do it yourself, get a professional!").

Many thanks.

PS - I'd be more than happy to get the autofold operation work first and then revisit the yellow wire/autotilt function at a later date (when I'm more confident).

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-08-15 at 11.20.49 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-08-15 at 11.20.49 AM.jpeg
    42.2 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC_5040.JPG
    DSC_5040.JPG
    165.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Might be a *real* help if there was a wiring diagram available for the 7th Gen Honda Accords :)

Okay, I'm making progress :)

From the Honda Manual - here is a picture of what harnesses to expect within the driver's door;

From here, one can see that Item Ref 3, Power Mirror Switch, has 13 cavities.....

And from my photo of the Folding Mirror Kit you can see that the Harness Connectors have 13 male/female connectors;

It's those 4 wires I need to find a home for......

Any help? (as I continue to investigate).

Red - for power,
Green - for Lock,
Blue - for Unlock,
Yellow - for Reverse selected.

I'm guessing the Green and Blue go to the "Door Lock Actuator"? (as that's got two cavities, and I'm guessing that's for lock/unlock? - please don't laugh :), electrics is all a mystery to me!).

If my guess is right, where would be a good home for the Red one (for power as per the 'Wiring Diagram' suggests) ? Any ideas?

Many thanks.

Now that I've received *one* price to do the install (2-3 hours work at £90 an hour.....

BRB quitting my job to become an auto sparky!

Unfortunately I can't help you with any of the wiring as I am a complete noob in that regard, however I thought it worth chipping in about the tilt in reverse function. My 8th gen tourer has this as standard, however, only the nearside mirror tilts downwards in reverse and only when the mirror adjustment selector is set to L. I occasionally find it useful when reversing tight to a kerb that is curved, but it would annoy me if it was like this every time I reversed. For that reason I always have the selector set to the middle, then put in to L only when needed. It may be you can wire yours up this way as well. Hope that all made sense and good luck with your install. I hope to get the auto folding kit some day too, so will be watching your thread eagerly! :)

Yes, as mentioned, I might just hold off from attempting to install the reversing tilt function and leave that bit of this project for another time..

(I'm also wondering if it'll tilt both mirrors and whether I'd actually like that, rather than just the one - I must say, thinking about it, I do like the idea for both to dip as I'm often out of line when it comes to supermarket carparks......)

Nevertheless, I reckon I'm pretty close to getting a full plan together on how to install this device. I just need to know where that Red wire should go and what'd be the best source for it (I'm praying it doesn't actually need to go to the battery....).

Hey Jez,

How are you getting on with this? I'm going to redo this with a kit I originally used on my Mk8 Civic, I just need to move the pins around. I've installed folding mirrors on my pre-facelift so could help you out with the wiring if you need?

Where did you get those terminal/harness connector list from? I have the Honda ESM but can't find anything like that!

Hi,

Long story!

First, when the part finally arrived from Malaysia, the company I purchased it from were full of BS (sorry, but that's the truth, had to get PayPal involved twice, but that's also another story).

In the end, I got a kit from a local Auto Electrician and he fitted it for me (I took the door trim panels off before he arrived).

Did it in less than an hour and charged my only £90 including the part he had in stock!

It's a great extra in my opinion to have fitted, it confirms the car has been locked (when you get out and use the button to lock things up).

That page, from memory, was out of the downloadable ESM, it's in there some where, I've just spent some time trying to find it and cannot, but I'm pretty sure it's in there somewhere!