What's new

HID Kits - AC or DC Ballasts

Graphite Pearl

Members
Reaction score
Car
ES GT iDTEC
Ok have been tempted enough to go down the route of HIDs, after browsing fleabay and other sites I see that there are 2 types of slimline ballasts..AC and DC can anyone tell me if one is better than the other for our Accords, I am sure I have read somewhere Jav saying he uses DC but just want to make sure I order the correct ones.

DC you need as AC is alternating current used on a normal 230Volt household.

yes DC, are digital ballasts, they don't cause flicker...

I'm also interested in this subject, but for a non-automotive application. Electronic (digital) ballast is definitely the one to go for, but appears to be AC operating at a very high frequency rather than the older flickering versions - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_ballast

DC you need as AC is alternating current used on a normal 230Volt household.
Not quite! Anything you power from your car must be able to run from DC, but this circuitry can be designed to then produce an AC signal/output if appropriate. This is the case with more advanced HID control/drive circuitry.

And your Alternator actually produces AC that is then rectified to DC ;)

Not quite! Anything you power from your car must be able to run from DC, but this circuitry can be designed to then produce an AC signal/output if appropriate. This is the case with more advanced HID control/drive circuitry.
Im thinking in terms as a spark as im no Auto Electrician :lol:

...nothing wrong with using DC (basic resistive-ballast) type HID circuitry. They'll not flicker, but I understand the resistor ballast runs hot and can eventually fail.

An interesting divergence of opinion! For what it's worth my understanding is that good quality AC ballasts are the ones to go for. The advantages are twofold - the ballasts last longer because they run cooler and also the bulbs last longer because the continual reversal of current reduces the build up of deposits on the electrodes. Modern AC ballasts do not cause flicker because they operate at high frequency.

Alan

Minor differences, at worst, but I think we can all agree on digital ballasts (which are an improvement on the earlier AC/pulse units)!

Well thats clear then ...... :wacko:

Well thats clear then ...... :wacko:
Karl, sorry if it wasn't clear. Digital ballast are the best ones to go for - if you follow the link I provided in an earlier post (and scroll down a bit to 'Electronic ballasts (Digital Ballast)') you will see that they are actually high frequency AC. But older (non-digital) AC types can cause flicker. If you look on eBay you will find plenty of digital ballast types for sale.

If you're putting these in the original halogen headlamp housings then you will most likely cause a glare problem for other road users. As has already been discussed on at least one other thread, there are other necessary requirements - such as self-levelling - for use of HID lamps. Apparently vehicles do manage to slip through the MOT without this being picked up, but it can only be a matter of time before this loophole gets closed.

Thanks Jon..well have found a set on ebay with AC slimline digital ballasts...for the price its cheaper than replacing the OEM bulbs and if I can fit the ballasts within the housing as some have done on here if I need to change them back at any time there wont be a gaping hole left in the back and all will be back to standard.