What's new

Honda Accord 2007 2.2I-CTDI starting problem

Honda1

Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord i-CTDI
Hi, I’m new to this forum and just want to present my problem and hopefully find a solution. My Honda Accord 2007 2.2 i-CTDI won’t start. It cranks but no goer. RAC guy started the car by using easy start spray but couldn’t find any faults on his fault reader unit apart form the clutch pedal switch fault and told me that I have low fuel pressure on crank. I took the car to a local garage and they apparently did some tests on the injectors and they were fine, mentioned something about correcting the fuel pump and changed the fuel filter and that it should be fine. It was when I collected the car but when got home (about 15min drive) and parked up, I tested the start and it wasn’t great (was taking longer to kick in then normal) but eventually would start. Left it over weekend but on Tuesday when pulled up to the garage to get the diesel, the car would start again and an easy start spray was needed to start it again.
My question is: can it be high pressure pump faulty or one or more injectors leaking or the pressure release valve is faulty? Where do I start? I’m reading so many posts on this issue but don’t know where to begin and what to change first. It is also worth mentioning that the car was starting better while cold but really struggling or not starting at all while warm or hot engine. Now it won’t start at all unless I use the easy start.
Please help.
Chris

Cheapest thing first would be change fuel filter then go from there. Any idea when it was last changed?

Almost certainly a failed fuel pressure relief valve. This is a fairly common issue on these and all the symptoms match. It’s the sensor on the end of your fuel rail held on normally with a 17mm nut.

Looks like you can get aftermarket ones much cheaper now, I’ve never tried one but worth a shot for this price. Original are made by Bosch also available on eBay.

Cheapest thing first would be change fuel filter then go from there. Any idea when it was last changed?
Thanks for your advise. The filter was changed approx 2 weeks ago by the garage but not sure what type. From the invoice cost I don’t think it was a Honda filter or Bosch one as they have charged me £24.50 for it.

Looks like you can get aftermarket ones much cheaper now, I’ve never tried one but worth a shot for this price. Original are made by Bosch also available on eBay.

Thank you for your reply. I will look to change the pressure release valve as advised. Can you advise is the high pressure pump was to be changed, does it need to be coded or programmed to the vehicle or just straight simple swap?

It doesn’t need coding but HPP failures are not common on these cars, and if it was failing you would have other symptoms while the car is running too. If the relief valve replacement doesn’t cure it I would have an injector leak back test carried out.

Under half the price of the Bosch and the markings look the same on the bolt head.

Honda 1 - you will need to use a really good socket set and wrecking bar to remove, but please try a known good battery first (and clean up the terminals , including the ground point under the battery tray as I found mine to be yet another cause of warm start issues).

I have not had to replace the relief valve btw, or the injectors.

Thank you for your reply. I will look to change the pressure release valve as advised. Can you advise is the high pressure pump was to be changed, does it need to be coded or programmed to the vehicle or just straight simple swap?
Could you
It doesn’t need coding but HPP failures are not common on these cars, and if it was failing you would have other symptoms while the car is running too. If the relief valve replacement doesn’t cure it I would have an injector leak back test carried out.
thank you, I will look to replace the pressure relieve valve first. Will update on the progress.

Could you

thank you, I will look to replace the pressure relieve valve first. Will update on the progress.

Update: Changed the pressure relieve valve and the car started after few attempts. I’m guessing it needed a pressure build up as I have pumped the fuel and it still took few cranks to start but it did and after that and leaving to run for 10 min, the car was starting first time, each time. Took the car for a run and it was fine. Check the valve afterwards if it hasn’t moved and it didn’t so all looks good.
Thank you to those who responded to my problem and special thanks to F6HAD for your advise and solution, you were spot on with the pressure relieve valve. You saved me a lot of headache.
Thank you again F6HAD.

Glad you solved it and thanks for circling back, this will help other members with similar issues in future.

Hello F6HAD, I wander if you can help again. I’m having glow plug flushing light and engine management light on now every time I start the car. It happen a week ago when I started to teach my daughter how to drive and after a few engine’s stalls and starts, the glow plug lights came on and now won’t switch off. The car drives ok, no limp modes or loss of power but this flashing glow plug lights keep flushing.
Any idea? Many thanks

As you seem as though you may be having one or two problems, a trip to F6HAD would be a big help. He has the expertise and equipment to give you the best possible information and advice, I came away feeling much more confidant about my 220k old banger thanks to the once over he gave it.

As you seem as though you may be having one or two problems, a trip to F6HAD would be a big help. He has the expertise and equipment to give you the best possible information and advice, I came away feeling much more confidant about my 220k old banger thanks to the once over he gave it.
Thanks but I’m located in Buckinghamshire and not sure where F6HAD is located. It won’t be that simpleif I have to drive hours. If he is local then for sure, would be my first choice to see F6HAD.
An advise would be appreciated

Try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes (windows up first in this weather).

I had a couple of annoying issues that were fixed this way.

Flashing glow plug light is normally indicative of either a fuel or boost pressure problem. Have it scanned for errors and report back what the code is, that will help us guide you.

Flashing glow plug light is normally indicative of either a fuel or boost pressure problem. Have it scanned for errors and report back what the code is, that will help us guide you.
Many thanks F6HAD, will have it scanned and report back.