What's new

Honda accord type s 2003 alarm not working

2.4types2003

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda accord
I am having trouble with the alarm on my car. The car doors are all shut and I know this as it shows on the dash that nothing is opened. The car locks all doors but when I tried to see if the alarm works I put the window down and opened the door and the alarm didn't go off. The red light doesn't flash on the dash either and the key also doesn't open the boot when pressing the key can any one help as to see what the problem is thank you. (This car was fully submerged in the floods and everything is fully operational except the alarm)

Does the horn work ? Check the fuse and post back

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

IIRC you've replaced the ECU and immobiliser.

The alarm is built into another unit and the alarm does not affect whether the car will start, the ECU/immobiliser does that.

Maybe the alarm itself was also affected by the floods (note that the alarm is separate from the siren, the siren is in the boot). The other possibility is that the alarm needs to be set up to work with the replacement ECU.

system diagram

CANbus_units_1.jpg

I am aware the immobilizer need to be setup on replacement ecu am not sure of alarm as freddofrog said I would get honda hds on there and see if there's any settings in there

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Thank you for your suggestions. I've been looking into the location of the alarm box and it is in fact under the passenger seat under the carpet in a enclosed box. I remember seeing this upon gutting the car and was rusted. However the locking system does work and as everyone knows you can't steal this car without the key lol just something I wanted working I think it could need programming for it to work I'm just not sure.

hello guys. today i have put my battery back on the car to start it so i can run it up however when i put the key into the ignition it wont start and it wont even send fuel to the engine. the green key is still there and fully recognises the key but it just wont turn over. the alarm has flashed for the first time all the lights came on and flashed to say it was locked. but when i go to start the car and turn the key i get absolutely nothing. i think its the anti theft system of which has armed itself. i really need help as to see what is going on as the alarm is working now but wont let me drive anywhere how can i get the car running ! ?

AFAIK the alarm is totally separate from the immobiliser, you could be experiencing a fault in the MICU which is down behind (and built into) the "under dash" fuse-box, and I reckon that the MICU would have been immersed in water when the water level reached half way up.

Maybe it has taken a bit longer for the MICU to become faulty, or maybe this latest problem is caused by another unit that was immersed in water

its weird. the alarm has just began working, the lights the siren and it locks and unlocks, however now the engine is not staring and wont crank atall. but now it locks and unlocks and everything. i feel its something to do with the alarm in some sort of anti theft mode if you know of anything like that. what does that MICU do ? and do you have any images as to where and what it looks like ?

if you look at the system diagram in #5 you'll see that the MICU is one of several modules on the CANbus (Car Area Network bus)

Also, in the electrical diagram here of the MICU, you can see that many other modules in the car connect to it
http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g462/btg_pics/Accord_circuits/SEA3E00000000000000EBAT00i015.jpg~original

SEA3E00000000000000EBAT00i015.jpg

The main reason why I ***uming the MICU is because it would have been submerged in the water, so because it is a central module in the car, and must have suffered water damage, it may behave in strange/random ways. It is also ***ociated with the alarm/siren, and it has a cnnection to the IMOES unit. Note that the only way to get at the MICU is to remove the "under-dash fuse-box" (that's the fuse-box down near the bonnet-pull lever), which is not a difficult job.

But rather then ***uming anything at this stage, I reckon you should
1. check all the fuses in the under-dash fuse-box using a multi-meter
2. get an OBD reader to read any codes

I think you could be right as when we turn the key there is absolutely nothing just a buzzing type sound. And that unit itself could be broke because it was a nice day today and warm so as it's sat it's drying so I guess it's started to stop working I hope. Is there not a theft type thing that could be triggered by the alarm to stop the car from working. And do you have an image of this box in what it looks like so I can visualise it upon finding it ?

ill try to change the fuses and relays in the fuse box on Saturday. if it doest work ill replace the entire fuse box unit as then it should work as it can be the only thing that stopping it from working. looking into it i think the only reason the alarm has suddenly started to work is because this unit is day by day drying and working so i presume the reason the alarm has began working is because this unit has triggered it. as of this i think i can conclude that ill be replacing this box both too see if it works and for general security of the car as i hear that the MICU when at fault can drain the battery and whenever i have had the battery on the car after its always been drained when taken off and this is a fault with this unit. it also apparently is supposed to sleep and when at fault it doesn't and drains the battery. is this unit actually integrated on the fuse box if so it will be easier for me to just replace the fuse box then or if it is separate let me know so i can search for it lol. i really hope this is it as i am literally out of ideas as to what it could be as the immobiliser is all working the key is fully operational so i know its not the imoes immobiliser or ecu it has to be this unit you've suggested. but i don't know whether its coincidence but as soon as that alarm began to work it stopped me from starting it. but i also noticed that when i locked it sometimes it wouldn't flash as of this i think that box is at fault as it seems to be working every now an then. im going to go back to the car i took the parts off the car and get the alarm box and then going to get the fuse box off it so its all from the same car.

those last 2 posts are exactly what I'm thinking

if you want parts diagrams, start here https://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_catalogue_C01.php

I went "choose by model" and got this summary page for Accord 2003 TypeS https://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_block_selection_C30.php?mod_01=2771

this page has the specific parts list for the "control unit (cabin)" which includes the ECU (8) and the MICU (12) https://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=17SEA01&block_02=B__1311&block_03=2771&block_05=hcr

B__1311.jpg

you will see that the part numbers listed in the link begin with "PFKL", if you want Honda part numbers just remove "_pfk" from the url

finally, I put "honda accord micu" into google, clicked on images, and selected these

Note however that google has mainly found US Accord, which is different from the JDM/EDM Accord (UK is EDM, JDM/EDM Accord is sold as Acura in the US)

http://parts.sonshonda.com/images/parts/honda/fullsize/986198.png
986198.png

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/904/zaSjYL.jpg
zaSjYL.jpg

btw, there were also quite a few refs to ebay

this image on ebay (1999 US Accord) shows the back of the fuse-box, MICU is the blue bit
$_57.JPG

Right this here is the same fuse box that is in my car on the drivers side. I think that this box as seen on the back must be the MICU you speak of and I think that as it's been in the car it's drying more and more and the alarm has began to work just as this box failed in other sectors. I think we can rule out the anti theft mode because when I plugged the radio in the car to see if it needed a code it didn't and all the green key is on the screen so absolutely nothing can be wrong with that area all I can think of now is a problem with this box or starter motor. I don't know what security things are in place with this car so I'm not sure I think our best bet is to replace this box I've had it out before and when I took it out and dried it, it was full of water and therefore I think by taking it out and drying it, it began to work a little bit the more and more till it become faulty would you agree ?

yes I agree.

Note that the "anti-theft" is the ECU/immobiliser which is basically separate from the alarm system i.e. you can usually start the engine and drive away with the alarm going off (several threads on here about people who had to do that when their alarm went off and would not stop, but that is a known issue to do with battery voltages under the bonnet or in the siren).

But, if you look at the circuit diagram in #11 there is a connection shown between the MICU and the IMOES unit. The latter is under the passenger SRS (and is very difficult to get to) and my understanding is that the IMOES is a separate relay in the security system. It could be that the MICU is supposed to toggle the IMOES and is not doing so, and it might be the IMOES that is preventing the car from starting. I have the Honda e-manual on this car, and trust me, it is absolutely shyte for describing how the systems work in this car, so a lot is based on guesswork from circuit diagrams (which themselves are not 100%) - but IMO the IMOES is a "2nd level" anti-theft which usually doesn't stop the car.

for reference, here are the circuit diagrams that have the MICU or IMOES unit in them

diagrams 13 & 14 & 15 are the entire MICU with the siren shown in 14

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g462/btg_pics/Accord_circuits/SEA3E00000000000000EBAT00i013.jpg
SEA3E00000000000000EBAT00i013.jpg

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g462/btg_pics/Accord_circuits/SEA3E00000000000000EBAT00i014.jpg
SEA3E00000000000000EBAT00i014.jpg

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g462/btg_pics/Accord_circuits/SEA3E00000000000000EBAT00i015.jpg
SEA3E00000000000000EBAT00i015.jpg

diagram 26 shows the immobiliser and the IMOES on the far right

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g462/btg_pics/Accord_circuits/SEA3E00000000000000EBAT00i026.jpg
SEA3E00000000000000EBAT00i026.jpg

what it shows is that the MICU is a central part of the car's alarm/theft control

I replaced the ecu immobiliser and imoes unit to get the car started again the first time. Do you think by replacing that fuse box at the bottom it will get the car started again. I'm going to get that fuse box as that big box is on the back which I ***ume is the MICU ?

2.4types2003 said:
I replaced the ecu immobiliser and imoes unit to get the car started again the first time. Do you think by replacing that fuse box at the bottom it will get the car started again. I'm going to get that fuse box as that big box is on the back which I ***ume is the MICU ?

I can't be certain of course, but yes the big box on the back of the fuse-box is the MICU

you could check with an OBD reader to see if there are any codes, although codes could be spurious with module(s) that are in the process of drying out

how high did the water reach, I'm ***uming about half-way, just below the dash/gauges ?

how did you get to the IMOES, did you remove the passenger SRS ?

note also, in diagram 13 there is the "door multiplex control unit", that would also be below the water-line in the car, and it may also be behaving oddly while it dries out, but I don't know how much it would interfere with the MICU

It went over the dashboard and we took the glove box out and replaced it. Everything else is working it has began to lock now and unlock when I press the buttons so alarm is all working but now it won't start lol which leads me to think that either it's in some sort of theft mode where it's cut the engine but then the radio is coming up with the code setting and all the immobiliser is working like literally everything is working as it should apart from the engine lol

It won't even crank it's just a loud buzzing noise when we turn the key to start and the fuel pump engages there is no crank what so ever

2.4types2003 said:
It went over the dashboard and we took the glove box out and replaced it. Everything else is working it has began to lock now and unlock when I press the buttons so alarm is all working but now it won't start lol which leads me to think that either it's in some sort of theft mode where it's cut the engine but then the radio is coming up with the code setting and all the immobiliser is working like literally everything is working as it should apart from the engine lol

hmmm, well there's another important module behind the dash, called the "Gauge Control Module", which has important functions between the B-CAN (Body CAN) and F-CAN (Frame CAN). If you look at the system diagram in #5 you'll see that the engine ECU is on the F-CAN, and the alarm-system units are on the B-CAN.

Before you get any other modules, get a cheap generic OBD reader and look at the codes from the engine ECU. You can also check the status of everything on the B-CAN, but a generic OBD reader will not do that, best is an HDS (Honda Diagnostic System, aka Honda HIM, clones are available on ebay for about £80).

2.4types2003 said:
It won't even crank it's just a loud buzzing noise when we turn the key to start and the fuel pump engages there is no crank what so ever
Where is the buzzing coming from, the MICU or the IMOES, or elsewhere ?
If it's the IMOES or MICU, if you can still get to the IMOES, check the status of the red/wht wire in the far right of diagram 26.

If it's from the engine compartment, it's probably the relay for the starter solenoid, or the starter solenoid itself, both of those would have got water in them.

Finally, are you sure that the battery is fully charged ?

To be honest pal I'm not sure now I think of where it could have come from we are going to look into it at weekend so I'll let you know what happens

Could I also ask if you know where the actual alarm module is I know the siren is in the boot on the right hand side but no idea where the actual module as I'm not sure what that box is under the passenger seat now I literally am so lost as to what that is or where the alarm module is haha just want to know if I need to replace it

Without going into details, it's the MICU and the Door Multiplex Control Unit, because between them they control/monitor the status of the windows and the doors/boot/etc. The siren is commanded by the MICU as to the state it should be in i.e. if the door locks etc are in the "armed" state, then the MICU tells the siren to be in an "armed" state. If an "unauthorised" attempt is made to dis-arm any inputs to the MICU, or the siren itself (without the MICU telling the siren to dis-arm), then the siren will go off.

The Door Multiplex Control Unit is the rusty box you saw under the passenger seat, if the power windows start to go down or up randomly, or if the central locking randomly locks or unlocks the doors, then this unit is doing it.

Well no windows have gone down on there own and the it only locks itself after 20 seconds when the auto lock kicks in

Can the multiplex door unit be replaced as I can get this off that car if I wanted it along with the fuse box which is all off the same car I got the ecu and immobiliser off. And does this mean that the alarm module is in the boot along with the siren as I think it could be the micu that caused for the alarm to be not working and as the day goes by the unit is faulting and leads to the alarm working every now and then

If I were you, I'd get the both the Door Multiplex Control Unit and the MICU from the other car, just in case.

The unit in the rear wing is "only" a siren (though like all alarm systems, the siren has its own "tamper-proof" functionality). Semantically, the alarm controller/monitor is the MICU plus the Door Multiplex Control Unit.

edit: any update on the buzzing-noise/car-starting ?