What's new

Honda accord Type S new centre box £1,200?!

hughesinator

Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord Type S
Hi all,
I am new to here.. wondering if anyone can help or advise. I have a 2003 Honda Accord Type S - always been a great car but have encountered a big problem having failed an MOT yesterday.

It failed on "Middle pipe by splits off to back boxes exhaust has major leak of exhaust gasses". Now the garage I took it to said this was £1,200 to sort as it probably needs a new exhaust system (excluding CAT) and that they could only source this direct from Honda (genuine parts) because it is such a rare engine (2.4).

Also a couple of hundred quid on other bits, but the car is only worth around £1,400 so border line write off. Keen to keep it if possible as has always served me well.

Any advice appreciated.

Tom

£189 each side on that Lings website, so £1200 is a joke.

They obviously don't want the work.

Our sponsor Holdcroft Honda will be even cheaper, club discount.

Have you tried the national exhaust chain retailers? There are plenty of options around including getting a second hand genuine system or even a custom job. No need to spend on a pricey genuine system for a 12 year old car.

I went to a trusted garage in the town I used to live in, gave him the link above. unsure if he used htis but I got the lot done (including other bits that were required) for £600. The initial garage I went to wanted £1,500 total.. bit of a difference. Thanks again for the help/advice.

Great result mate, many more years of 2.4 enjoyment ahead of you :)