What's new

Honda K20 FR-V or Accord Fuel Filter change

F6HAD

Affiliate / Co-Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
2009 Accord IDTEC
A question asked relatively often but not really covered in any detail I believe.

The K20 and K24 Accord's have a 'for life' fuel filter, but as anyone knows, there is no such thing. And for less than £40, it's hardly a part that's going to break the bank.

My wife's FR-V (2.0 vtec K20) has been feeling a little sluggish recently. We cleaned out the throttle body which made quite a remarkable difference, and i thought it's probably wise to do the fuel filter also.

Point of caution, if you clean out the throttle body you will need access to someone with a HDS to reset the throttle body. Otherwise you will find your revs hunt between 1.5k=2k RPM constantly when the engine warms up. I have a HDS.

Although carried out on an FR-V, the Accord has a near identical setup so the pics should come in useful for anyone wishing to do this.

it's not extremely difficult but you need to ensure you are not too heavy handed, and as the filter is inside the tank please ensure you take all necessary safety precautions i.e. no naked flames, sparks etc and disconnect the battery first.

I've not really done a guide as such but the pics should help as a point of reference.

If i'm honest, the change in filter has helped somewhat. It's returned that sharp throttle response feeling and you can just feel it rev a little cleaner. Well worth doing IMHO.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=690166414387662&id=148037185267257

Hi Fahad, just adding to this, I was recently enquiring about a service kit from my local Honda Dealers, they quoted me on a 6 year service which included the fuel filter, they said 6 years or 120k kms/75k miles for the fuel filter.

They're also saying transmission fluid is due and brake fluid, brake fluid is every recommended every 3 years apparently.

I'm have to go with the basics (plugs, filter, oil, air filter) for now and come back for the rest as moneys a little tight at the minute.

Thought it was interesting about the fuel filter though, I really had that down as last resort type thingy... :huh:

Thanks for the pics though, they'll help if I decide to attempt filter myself.

I would agree with brake and transmission fluid recommendations but never heard a dealer suggest fuel filter but would agree with that recommendation

Hi Fahad, my Accord doesn't feel as poky as it should do but I've only had the car for a day.
I will be changing the fuel filter simply because I will be changing the fuel to V+ Nitro as I do in all my cars. I'm worried now about this HDS you mentioned. Is this something you do as a foreigner or for your company?

If so how much would you charge to change mine for me pal?

Drop me a line

Fahad are the part numbers the same for the accord (k24) and FR-V (k20)?

I'm not sure to be honest. They look very similar.