What's new

How can I test the alarm

RossM

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2i CDTi
I bought a 7th Gen 2.2 CDTi recently and realised I've not heard the alarm yet, so figured I should probably know it in case it goes off at night, then I know it's my car.

Anyway, I locked it up, deadlock and normal lock, both with the immobiliser, gave the car a shake around and a bump ... nothing. I then tried dropping the drivers window down, and locking again with the immobiliser with the basic lock and then with the deadlock, and waving my arm around inside ... nothing. I also tried the same whilst I sat in the car jumping around ... nothing.

I can't set the alarm off, what am I missing? Even if I wasn't bumping it hard enough, shouldn't it detect movement inside?

How can I test it?

EDIT: I should also say, the horn works fine, i just need to very lightly touch the centre of the steering wheel and the horn pumps, brushing it with my arm at the wrong time by accident, late at night, oops.

I take it the bonnet is alarmed on the 7th Gen, if so flip the bonnet, lock up the car and lift the bonnet up.

Pete1958 said:
I take it the bonnet is alarmed on the 7th Gen, if so flip the bonnet, lock up the car and lift the bonnet up.
Thanks, I'll try this when I finish work, I hadn't thought about the bonnet.

What about movement inside, shouldn't that set the alarm off as well? I never got an owners manual with the car so I'm just kind of bumbling around forums looking for info, but not finding much on this :\

yeah, there are movement sensors which will trigger the alarm, once I left windows open a little bit as it was hot outside, locked the car and after few minutes air freshner which was hanged on the mirror caused alarm to goes off :) so you can try it yourself, open the windows, lock the car and the stick your head inside ;-)

I to have only just got my CL9 so haven't checked mine either but mine is ultrasonic type alarm which does go off by movement inside the car but not sure what type you have. I would have thought that shaking the car about would have set it off but again not sure.

Maybe later someone with a better knowledge of these alarms will give you more info.

Good luck Ross :) .

brodziu said:
... so you can try it yourself, open the windows, lock the car and the stick your head inside ;-)
Tried it, didn't set the alarm off, maybe my motion sensors aren't working :(

Pete1958 said:
Good luck Ross :) .

The ultrasonic sensors are only on the EX model of the Accord, so if you don't have an EX (executive) model, you don't have the sensors to set off.

What specification of Accord diesel is it?

Try locking with window down. Reach in and unlock the car from the inside. That sets mine off.

jayok said:
The ultrasonic sensors are only on the EX model of the Accord, so if you don't have an EX (executive) model, you don't have the sensors to set off.

What specification of Accord diesel is it?
Ah, it's the sport version, so that explains that, I thought they all had sensors. There's a little bubble on top of the dash near the front window, right in the centre, I thought that was the sensor.

Pete1958 said:
ericuk said:
Try locking with window down. Reach in and unlock the car from the inside. That sets mine off.
So I tried leaving the window down, locker her up, reaching in and unlocking the bonnet, voila! I now know what my alarm sounds like :)

Thanks guys, appreciated :)

RossM said:
There's a little bubble on top of the dash near the front window, right in the centre, I thought that was the sensor.
That "bubble" is related to the climate control. It measures the intensity of the sunshine and uses this along with a cabin air intake channel (to the left of the steering wheel, it about an 3cm long vent) to calculate fan speed, etc.

:)

RossM said:
Ah, it's the sport version, so that explains that, I thought they all had sensors. There's a little bubble on top of the dash near the front window, right in the centre, I thought that was the sensor.

So I tried leaving the window down, locker her up, reaching in and unlocking the bonnet, voila! I now know what my alarm sounds like :)

Thanks guys, appreciated :)
Glad you sorted it Ross :) .