What's new

How do I get my Honda Accord to "regenerate" it's DPF - what RPM, what speed, for how long?

ship69

Members
Reaction score
Car
'08 i-DTEC EX man 5D
Hello

How do I get my Honda Accord (2008 i-DTEC EX man 5D estate) to "regenerate" it's DPF?

What speed and/or what RPM must I do? And for how long?

Is there any simple way for the driver to tell the engine that you are about to do a long journey on the motorway and that now would be a good time to clear out all the diesel particles from the Diesel Particle Filter?
I have now had two times when the DPF has clogged up and the engine has lost most of its power. It feels like the turbo-charger is switched off. Either way the maximum speed of the car becomes about 60 or 65MPH.

What happens if the engine is half way through a "regeneration" cycle and you come to the end of the journey - is that bad for the engine?

What happens if you go faster than the idea "regeneration" cycle speed/RPM?

Thanks

J

The only way to invoke a forced regeneration is via a diagnostic system such as the HDS.

F6HAD said:
The only way to invoke a forced regeneration is via a diagnostic system such as the HDS.
Thanks but that wasn't my question!

What I am wondering is: At what speed/RPM and for how long do I need to drive my car in order to get it to do a regeneration on its own?

I understand the question, and there is no straight answer. You can't make it go into regeneration mode. The ecu is looking at a number of variables, including heat, pressure, calculated soot content, engine speed, coolant temp etc and then making a decision.

All I can suggest is going on a long run (50 miles plus) at motorway speeds and hope that it kicks in.

Hmmm... OK.

To be fair, my garage mechanic was slightly more specific, but I can't remember exactly what he said.

But do we know ANY specifics or underlying principles at all - e.g. Do we need to have the RPM or speed up to a certain level WITHOUT SLOWING DOWN for those 50 miles?
Is it good or bad to go slightly above the speed limit... and should one do so in say a lower gear in order too keep the revs up?

How long does a regeneration actually take? 1 minute, 10 minutes, 30 minutes... and does it matter if you stop the car half way through?

J

do you notice when the regeneration kicks in? i have a journey about 3 hours long, almost 200miles long with one major stop, did it clean itself?