What's new

How large is the fuel tank on a Honda Accord estate ?

ship69

Members
Reaction score
Car
'08 i-DTEC EX man 5D
Hi Chaps

Anyone know exactly how large is the deisel tank on a 2007 Honda Accord estate 2.2litre? (Mine is a "i-CTDi EX 5d" from memory.)

A couple of days I gingerly drove for 50 miles past the computer telling me that I had "zero" miles left in the tank (!)
I took the precaution of making sure I averaged over 60MPG, but I am curious to know how close to actually running out of fuel I was.
Have any of you folks ever *completely* run out and then accurately measured the re-fil volume?

Cheers

John

Not something you want to find out by running out in a diesel.

Not something you want to find in a diesel or a petrol. Letting the fuel almost run out means you increase the likelihood of getting any minute bits of dirt caught in the fuel filter. Do this a few times and you'll suffer fuelling issues even on a full tank and need to replace your fuel filter. Not too bad on the Diesel, but a very labour intensive process on the Petrol from what I've heard.

Speaking generally (not just about the Accord Diesel), letting the fuel completely run out on a diesel comes with all manner of other issues too. Like potentially needing to manually prime the fuel pump etc.

Basically, fill the tank a little before the red if you can.

I fill up as soon as possible after the warning light comes up, if my tank is 65 litres, then it would appear that there is about 10 litres still left as I am never able to get more that 50/ litres in when refilling. I work on the ***umption that I can get 10 miles per litre, so the reserve is considerable, however you do not want be running dry, "they are a lump to push" even on the flat. LOL

> Not something you want to find out by running out in a diesel.
Mango - that is precisely why I ask the question!!

Okay I just found my receipt. My record so far is 60.80 litres (of BP Vpower diesel - which cost me a full £91.75, I may say).
So I actually had a full 4 litres left.
By my reckoning that's about another 36 miles - yikes yes, that really is a bit tight.

Incidentally all this stuff about fuel filters, I only half believe. All smacks a bit of urban myth.
I mean:
A. Surely when the tank is say 3/4s empty, the fuel will slosh about stirring up any dirt in any case. And if it's stirred up it will end up being sucked into the fuel filter, no?
B. Also isnt replacement of the fuel filter something that happens on servicing in case too?
C. Even by your logic, if I do it regularly I will clean out the tank, which is a good thing. :^)
D. Sometimes you absolutely need to know what your car is capable of.
e.g. When driving through the West Highlands late at night - nearest open petrol station 90 miles. I need to know will I make it? (or do I need to turn back and drive another 20 miles?)
e.g. When catastrophically late for some important engagement.

In the end my car is my servant - my tool not and not my God. Yes it shouldnt be abused, but in the end it is there to be of *use*.

But I do concede that may regret these words. What exactly are the symptoms of a clogged fuel filter?
How's about lots of smoke visible in the mirror in the headlights of the car behind - particularly when you first accelerate? (!)

So far my oil consumption seems extremely small - but all that smoke is slightly worrying.

Fwiw, if I driver carefully over mostly motorway driving, I am getting about 50 MPG according to the onboard computer.
If I drive at a 70 on the speedo (65 on the satnav) then I seem to get about 55-60 MPG (depending I think on wind/weather conditions).
Mind you I am highly suspiscious those MPG figures in reality.

Calculation: Suppose I put a sensible 55 litres in.
Divide by 4.54609, get me 12.1 Gallons
If am getting 50 MPG, then I should be getting 604 miles, and I'm pretty sure that I'm not getting that!
(And if I put 60.8 litres in that would be 668 miles...)

Anyhow, I shall start noting actual mileages between fill-ups more carefully. Watch this space.

J

if your filter clogs, you will get the yellow engine light and or the heater coil flashing and you will go into limp mode. I.e it will not rev above 2000 rpm. You may get lucky by giving the priming bulb a squeeze, but you may not!! No option but to change the filter and make sure it's the right one. Do yourself a favour do not let your fuel get too low, go by the reserve light, it's there to remind you.

I take your points. I'm only going from what I've read. I'm a petrol driver and I know there have been a number of diesels on here that have had various issues which were all traced back to the fuel filter. A service-replacement part for sure, but still a pain in the back side should it become an issue.

Also, when my petrol fuel filter was routinely done last service (it's not done every service on the petrol) it added a fair amount of time and thus labour to the job (=£££). It's in a tricky place on the 2.4. And therefore I'd want to avoid having to replace it more than I'd really need to.

But anyway, it should say in your car's manual. It's 65 litres on the petrol and so I'd ***ume the same on the diesel.

Incidentally all this stuff about fuel filters, I only half believe. All smacks a bit of urban myth.
I mean:
A. Surely when the tank is say 3/4s empty, the fuel will slosh about stirring up any dirt in any case. And if it's stirred up it will end up being sucked into the fuel filter, no?
Not sure about this - the tank is always drawn upon from the same low (if not lowest) point, therefore heavier-than-fuel crud will always be sucked out and end up in the filter. But the lighter-than-fuel crud floating on the top wouldn't normally get down to the draw-off point until you suck the last of the fuel out. It therefore depends upon the crud density!

B. Also isnt replacement of the fuel filter something that happens on servicing in case too?
Yep - every 25k. At the intermediate 12.5k services it should be vented and drained

C. Even by your logic, if I do it regularly I will clean out the tank, which is a good thing. :^)
Best not to potentially contaminate the fuel filter unless you really have to. It's a damn nuisance to replace!

D. Sometimes you absolutely need to know what your car is capable of.
e.g. When driving through the West Highlands late at night - nearest open petrol station 90 miles. I need to know will I make it? (or do I need to turn back and drive another 20 miles?)
e.g. When catastrophically late for some important engagement.
But I do concede that may regret these words. What exactly are the symptoms of a clogged fuel filter?
How's about lots of smoke visible in the mirror in the headlights of the car behind - particularly when you first accelerate? (!)
I always reckon I could do 600 miles on a full tank - but I carry 5 litres of diesel in a can with me to minimise the risk!

Clogged filter will obviously restrict fuel flow and may cause poor starting, low fuel rail pressure (=P0087 DTC) or just a bit flat spot on acceleration from time to time and other symptoms. Worse when temps are sub-zero and the waxy solids in the fuel add to the clogging.

I note you've had a remap, I noticed quite a few people mention smoking afterwards, but it doesn't seem to be a serious issue.

I've heard that the on-board displayed figures for MPG are optimistic. I think remapping also affects this accuracy, but I'm speculating.

Isn't smoking just soot and the particulate size? Not necessarily a sign of something that is failing. Just that in altering the fueling, timing, etc to make more power and torque the trade off is that the particulate size increases (more visible).

One more thing about the exhaust smoke, does adding 2 stroke engine oil help reduce it?
And if, so does it help even after the smoking has started (or does it only help on a new engine)?
And would the beneficial effects be noticable immediately or only after a while?

After reading about adding 2 stroke on this forum, I went through a phase of adding 2-stroke oil to my fuel for a while, but it didnt seem to make all that much difference (although now I'm not so sure).
Now that I think about it, I think that the main things that stopped me from continuing with 2-stroke were:
A) the difficulty of measuring the correct amount to put in
B) the messiness of it all
C) not knowing which type of 2-stroke to use
D) the inconvenience of putting the stuff in

Any thoughts?

J

Sorted John only mods can delete posts mate.

One more thing about the exhaust smoke, does adding 2 stroke engine oil help reduce it?
And if, so does it help even after the smoking has started (or does it only help on a new engine)?
And would the beneficial effects be noticable immediately or only after a while?

After reading about adding 2 stroke on this forum, I went through a phase of adding 2-stroke oil to my fuel for a while, but it didnt seem to make all that much difference (although now I'm not so sure).
Now that I think about it, I think that the main things that stopped me from continuing with 2-stroke were:
A) the difficulty of measuring the correct amount to put in
B) the messiness of it all
C) not knowing which type of 2-stroke to use
D) the inconvenience of putting the stuff in

Any thoughts?

J

I recently tried adding (mineral) 2 stroke to my fuel tank at fill up, three times in a row @ 1:200 (so 300mL / tank). I can't say that any of your points A to D caused me any trouble, but I stopped doing it because I didn't notice any difference at all.

But apparently many members swear by it.

Calculation: Suppose I put a sensible 55 litres in.
Divide by 4.54609, get me 12.1 Gallons
If am getting 50 MPG, then I should be getting 604 miles, and I'm pretty sure that I'm not getting that!
(And if I put 60.8 litres in that would be 668 miles...)

Anyhow, I shall start noting actual mileages between fill-ups more carefully. Watch this space.

J
The dash display is hopelessly optimistic - it used to cheerfully tell me I was getting 57 mpg on occasions and the best I ever managed was an actual 46 mpg on a tank. My average over 10k miles was 44.75 mpg on standard tune and 42.5 mpg on stage 1 tune (I religiously write down mileages on the receipt when I fill up and log it on a spreadsheet).

ive got about 13 litres or so to play with when the petrol light comes on.

filled to the brim when the light comes on about only 50litres or so goes in so quite a nice reserve.

i calculated about 250/260miles maximum until empty with urban driving on my 2.4 (ish)

It's an extremely generous fuel warning light! I've just done yet another 400mile tank and still only got 56 litres in it!

In the Honda book it states that's when the fuel light comes on there is 2 gallons left.

well i love it, drove to edinburgh today and apart from ***** roads in edinburgh (whole place rooted up to the 9s), loved the trip.

fuel marker is just past half way with about 200miles in, cant argue with that.

worst thing is sticking to 80mph....

side note: my a/c,, i had it on at 19 degrees or so and it felt quite warm, seemed to get cooler as i drove more. hmmm might be imagning things as i looked at the compressor and it kicks in alright.

turned it down to low also and it was cold. hmmm

might be going crazy...:$

The dash display is hopelessly optimistic - it used to cheerfully tell me I was getting 57 mpg on occasions and the best I ever managed was an actual 46 mpg on a tank. My average over 10k miles was 44.75 mpg on standard tune and 42.5 mpg on stage 1 tune (I religiously write down mileages on the receipt when I fill up and log it on a spreadsheet).

How heavy was your right foot getting those figures?

Cheers me up somewhat, as I was umming and ahhring about going diesel, at the time a diesel was going to cost me £3-4k more for an equivalent tourer with the same age and miles as the 2.0 petrol I ended up getting.

Been getting about 38-39mpg average out of mine.

I think I made the right choice in the end.

Mines a saloon and mostly long strecthes of A roads with plenty of inclines I've been getting 54.5mpg out of a tank over 679 miles which took 56.5litres to fill back up which in theory would get me close to 800miles if ran dry.

I put in 2T oil in this fill up and find it does make a difference, the main thing is it'll keep things clear like injectors/egr etc and in theory give a better combustion burn(maybe). I've also definately noticed it's smoother on cold starts and shut downs.