What's new

How loud?

Grayedout

Members
Reaction score
Possibly an impossible question to ask but how loud should a 2004 2.2 icdti be at idle?

History: Had the car for about 6 months, 113,000 miles at purchase, full service history. Done the shorter fan belt mod, didn't run it without the belt on but fairly sure the alternator is fine.

Car has now done 120,000 and had two oil changes (0w30), but seems extremely loud at idle. This is my first diesel car and so got nothing to compare it to hence the strange question!

Runs fine and no engine issues but my concern is timing chain. Looking through the receipts then no record of it ever having being changed!

They're pretty quiet for a diesel. If you have a clatter on the offside, then it's time for chains.
Use an extension bar to listen through and locate the noise. Pump chain noise on mine sounded like it came from the steering pump.

What is the loud noise you're hearing? Clanging, clattering, rumbling? Where is it coming from?

My old 7th, girl used to "rustle" hardly any noise at all, until the alternator pulley gave up then it made a right racket, changed to the short belt and a new alternator back to near silent running, the new 8th is much louder at tick over and sounds like a diesel.

Hard to explain the noise as unsure on what a 'normal' diesel should sound like!

Will have a listen later and try to pinpoint it.

In the next few weeks will also look to remove the alternator belt and run it without to check the difference.

I'm guessing with standard 12,000 miles services up until this point then 120,000 is a time to start thinking about the chain life?

So had a good listen and yes it's a clattering noise from the front of the engine so sounds like timing chain! :-(

Have a listen and let me know your thoughts

https://youtu.be/G-p9_pxxKKM

Just need to decide whether to have a go myself or not? Is there a guide on here to replacement of both of the chains?

That's just what my pump chain sounded like before it gave up.

Been down mycarneedsa.com and got a quote previously for £1000 including tensioner and pulley replacements with a 24 month, 24,000 miles warranty. Thoughts?

It's not a bad price that especially with a 2 year warranty.

The parts alone are £550.

I'd be happy if my chains were that quiet.

This is mine with the engine warmed up and the bonnet down.

This links to my photo bucket account to view it.

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

Sonoflal2 said:
I'd be happy if my chains were that quiet.

This is mine with the engine warmed up and the bonnet down.

This links to my photo bucket account to view it.

You making plans to sort this? I am!

Yes, got a mechanic mate who can do it. Just need to source the parts and I'll have a full service done and the a/c sorted at the same time.

I tried my local Honda dealer and they said I don't need to change the timing chain so must be the aux belt that needs changing. Couldn't get past the main desk to speak to a technician or get a quote to replace the chains.

Looks like an engine replacement could be cheaper than fixing the chains. Found an engine for £450 with half the mileage mine has from a 2006 accord.

Its roulette with a replacement engine, If I had to replace an engine I would still do the chains before fitting the new engine.

I put new chains in my (91k) replacement motor after my original snapped a pump chain.

Went with the civic motor because I could buy a very recent one, with the newer style tensioners etc.

For what it's worth on my new 2011 N22A2 motor, at 91k, they weren't even close to half-way towards their wear limits.

I only changed them because I'd already ordered them for the old motor when I bought the car a week previous. I just got unlucky.