What's new

How low have you ran your tank?

Dave_G

Members
Reaction score
Car
06 Tourer EX CTDi
I filled up at the weekend and put 55L in the tank. Range left was showing as less than 20 miles. Now on my calculations I had averaged 50.5mpg for that tank of fuel, the computer showed it as 52mpg so not far out.

My handbook shows the tank capacity as 65L so I should have been able to get another 100 miles out of the tank. Ignoring the arguments about running a tank too low and sucking up crap from the bottom of the tank, how low have you ran your tank or what is the most amount of litres you have squeezed in?

I ran it till the car computer said '0km to go'. Still i could only put 55litres in it!

I never put 65L into my car, usually its 50-60litres, I fill up as soon as I can after the light is on, but know I still have some legroom to drive about 30-40 miles if i wanted.

But from when the light first came on for me I could have probably done 150 miles going off the tank capacity which means it is coming on a bit early.

Good to hear you have managed to get more than 55L in the tank though, gives me the confidence to drive a bit further.

I keep running out of petrol in mine. My own fault for letting it get so low. I haven't stopped yet though, just very nervous as I tootle along coughing and spluttering until the LPG kicks in then it's WOT to the petrol station pronto.

Only the facelift 7th gen get the trip computer.

Coming home tonight on the motorway my fuel light came on with an indicated remaining range of 62miles. 43 miles later my range was at zero and I was still on the motorway. 10 miles later it was still running fine as I pulled in to the petrol station near home and I still only managed to get 58L in the tank.

Dave G said:
I filled up at the weekend and put 55L in the tank. Range left was showing as less than 20 miles. Now on my calculations I had averaged 50.5mpg for that tank of fuel, the computer showed it as 52mpg so not far out.

My handbook shows the tank capacity as 65L so I should have been able to get another 100 miles out of the tank. Ignoring the arguments about running a tank too low and sucking up ***** from the bottom of the tank, how low have you ran your tank or what is the most amount of litres you have squeezed in?
I have put 58 litres in.

7th gen with no trip computer

The warning light supposedly comes on when you have 10 litres remaining, yet I have driven another 50 miles after the warning light, and still only needed to use 56 litres to fill the tank. I suspect that the warning light level is more like 12 litres remaining.

On my last 2 fill ups I've put 60.74 Ltr and 61 Ltr exactly. The fuel light came on and I still got the best part of 200 miles out of the tank. The fuel computer read 0 when I got 816 miles and I eventually filled up after 851 miles as I know I regularly get at least 30 miles out of the tank after the computer reads 0 as long as I drive carefully.

Yeah I think it works out to nearly 64 mpg and the cars computer said something like 68 mpg. At first I wasn't really that bothered about the mpg on the first fill up as at one point I had to drive rather eagerly shall we say as the wife was late for a hospital appointment. She has subsequently had to stay in hospital for nearly 3 weeks and its a 160 mile round trip just to visit her, so the opportunity arouse for me try and stretch the mpg out (which at times on the M25 and North London at rush hour can be hard).

On this latest fill up the cars computer is currently reading 71ish but I expect to get the same kind of mileage as last time. Question is do I empty the boot of the heavy box of ***** and check the tyres pressures for the next fill up!!

I'm currently doing a the same long journey twice a week with running around in between so plenty of time for me to see what affects the mpg.
Can I ask is your car standard and what kind of speeds are you generally doing?

Hope your wife is better soon.

I was on my way to the nearest place that does Shell V-Power diesel yesterday, running on fumes. The computer told me I had 0 miles range left when I still had 5 miles to go. Managed to get there nevertheless, and it took 56 litres to fill the tank.

Dave G said:
I'm currently doing a the same long journey twice a week with running around in between so plenty of time for me to see what affects the mpg.
Can I ask is your car standard and what kind of speeds are you generally doing?

Hope your wife is better soon.
Hi Dave, the car is bog standard and the speed is generally around 60 mph give or take. I do try keep a consistent speed so generally use the cruise control plus sometimes sit behind whichever lorry is going fastest at the time (not suggesting you should do this), which isn't all the time as I'm generally moving a bit faster.

Hopefully the wife will be home Friday, thanks

teacake said:
I was on my way to the nearest place that does Shell V-Power diesel yesterday, running on fumes. The computer told me I had 0 miles range left when I still had 5 miles to go. Managed to get there nevertheless, and it took 56 litres to fill the tank.
Did you break into a cold sweat when the computer read 0 only to fill an anticlimax when you filled up!!!

AndyHK said:
So, what is the exact capacity of the fuel tank then?
The manual states that it's 65 Ltrs.

Yes it's the car showing 0 miles range or empty when there is actually about 10L left in the tank that made me start this thread.

I am regularly travelling between Durham and Norwich at the minute so about 50% motorway and 50% single carriageway with a 60mph limit. Doing 50-60mph helps the mpg figures loads but doing 80-90mph or stop start traffic sees them start to fall.

Because my mpg figures are quite repeatable due to doing the same long journey I'm now experimenting to see how V-Power diesel affects things over a few tanks and also a plug in tuning box. If I can afford it I would also like to try a Fahad remap with EGR off too.

dl0205 said:
Did you break into a cold sweat when the computer read 0 only to fill an anticlimax when you filled up!!!
I was already bricking it at the start of the journey, when it was saying 27 miles remaining with 22 miles to travel. It's safe to say I was whimpering as the last few miles ticked down 3.... 2.... 1.... come on, come on...

Dave G said:
Because my mpg figures are quite repeatable due to doing the same long journey I'm now experimenting to see how V-Power diesel affects things over a few tanks and also a plug in tuning box. If I can afford it I would also like to try a Fahad remap with EGR off too.
I'm waiting for a post on this subject in the Premier sub-forum to come out of moderation, but in brief I've found that a Fahad remap, and a switch to V-Power, have given me around a 6mpg boost.

My car was fitted with a tuning box when I bought it that was supposed to improve economy. It definitely did improve power and threw out the computer mpg figures a bit but I think it might also have improved mpg too. I also have another one that was fitted to my previous Accord when I bought it so I intend to try both and see how they do, but would like to try the remap too.

At the minute I am into my second tank of V-Power but so far doesn't look like it makes any difference to mpg. I intend giving it 3 tank fulls to be fair.

Dave G said:
At the minute I am into my second tank of V-Power but so far doesn't look like it makes any difference to mpg. I intend giving it 3 tank fulls to be fair.
It may take some time before you're running solely on V-Power, depending on how empty your tank is when you refill. If it's still got at least 10 litres when the computer is reading 0 miles left, there's going to be quite a lot of the old stuff sloshing about in the tank. I reckon it took about three refills before the proportion of V-Power reached 90% in mine.

Another point, which may or may not be relevant: I remember I used to have a Subaru that would adjust its timing depending on the RON of the fuel you were using. While it would instantly retard the ignition to prevent knocking on low-octane fuel, it would apparently take up to 1000 miles to adjust back the other way, to advance the ignition when the fuel quality improved. I have no idea whether Honda diesels may do something of the same nature, but you may find they are more cautious about adjusting to better fuel than adjusting to protect against bad fuel, if you see what I mean.

I know the feeling of bricking it, having just got 40 (town) miles out of the car after the trip computer read 0 there was a small amount of fear I might run out, but still got 61.43 litres in the tank after 900 miles! So still 3.5 litres before I reach the theoretical empty tank (I wonder if the filler neck is included in Hondas maximum tank capacity, probably not). The cars computer read 71mpg, but my calculations work out around at 66.5mpg.

Treated mine to a tank of V-Power this time, don't imagine it will add to the mpg.

That's rather awesome fuel economy, dl0205! I can't get anywhere close to that, even allowing for the fact that mine's a tourer. I'm hoping for a bit of an improvement now I've (hopefully) dealt with a sticky caliper, but even so, 66.5mpg and 900 miles is pretty impressive. I've been getting about 550...

dl0205 said:
I know the feeling of bricking it, having just got 40 (town) miles out of the car after the trip computer read 0 there was a small amount of fear I might run out, but still got 61.43 litres in the tank after 900 miles! So still 3.5 litres before I reach the theoretical empty tank (I wonder if the filler neck is included in Hondas maximum tank capacity, probably not). The cars computer read 71mpg, but my calculations work out around at 66.5mpg.

Treated mine to a tank of V-Power this time, don't imagine it will add to the mpg.

How can you get 900 miles from a full tank?? Unless you're cruising 60 mph constantly on the motorway :huh:

I'm getting 550 miles and refuel with 61L which is including the filling chute neck

He did say before he was regularly sitting around 55mph and anything around 50-60mph really helps economy on the Accord

Hi Andy, 900 miles does sound a bit ridiculous but it is achievable with a saloon if you are doing a lot of motorway miles and take hypermiling to the extreme. Having said that I do carry a heavy box in the boot and haven't checked the tyre pressures in a while plus during that tank full I got stuck on the M25 on a number of occasions where a normal trip taking 1hr 40mins would end up taking 3hrs, so maybe in perfect road conditions I could get nearer to 1000 miles!

Obviously there are a number of variables that need to be taken into account with mpg not least the journey itself i.e. how hilly the route is, whether or not it's on main roads and motorways, the length of each journey (normally the shorter the journey the more fuel is used, which my evidence would suggest as each journey was over 80 miles each way). But I think the most important aspect is how smooth you drive, not touching the breaks where possible and really reading the road ahead so you can maintain momentum.

As a note I had the A/C off so as not to affect the mpg.