What's new

How much oil?

Accordial

Members
Reaction score
Car
2005 2.2 D Tourer
Car (2.2D) came back from the garage, so I checked the oil as I always do. Half an inch over the top mark.

So I took it back to the garage, who pulled out the dipstick and said 'spot on, what are you talking about?'

I said, 'Well the car's only just been running, hasn't it, so there's oil all the way round the engine, no wonder it's lower than it was.'

'Quite,' he said, 'That's why we've filled it with oil to take it to the point whereby it's on the top marker now.'

'Are you sure?' I asked?

'Yes!' he said. 'We can take some oil out if you like though.'

'I am being advised by you,' I responded, 'I just want it to be right. I don't want you to take out oil if that makes it wrong. Is it right?'

'Yes.'

So off I drove. And checked in the handbook which says:

"Wait a few minutes after turning the engine off before checking the oil level, and always make sure the vehicle is parked on level ground."

It also (on another page) tells you to do it when the engine is cold.

This, to me, means checking the oil level is best done before you start driving the car - at which point it reads half an inch over the maximum.

Am I mad, or is the garage?

Thanks!

Half an inch over the max is about half to 3 quarts of a litre by my reckoning!! are you sure you're on level ground. At little bit over wouldn't concern me but half an inch would leave me with some doubt on my mind.

The 2.2 takes 5.9 on a full service, but you can never be that exact. How much did they put in??

Edited: I stated wrong oil capacity

The garage is wrong and (obviously!) your handbook is correct. But being sure the ground is level isn't always simple.

Overfilling a diesel is a potentially serious issue... the overspill can migrate into the engine intake via the crankcase breather and cause catastrophic diesel runaway (google will explain better) which will destroy an engine. But less than a litre extra is probably OK.

It's 5.9L for a 'regular' oil change, but I usually stick all 6L in.

A little under is better than a little over. Check when cold and on level ground and if over then drain asap

Thanks. Garage swears blind that what they've done is correct, but that they'll take a litre out 'to keep me happy'.

Won't be going back there...

Why they can't say "oh curses, we've messed up, really sorry." I don't know.

That would mean admitting they had made a mistake and no one much does that anymore... I blame politicians!

I buy 6 litres of oil and give it to the garage. I never trust these guys unless I give them the parts.

They always show me the used parts and I know they've used my oil. One of these days I'd like to learn to do it myself including the fuel filter.

Only joking! I think you might be surprised how easy it is to change the oil and oil filter yourself... you only need basic tools and something to catch the oil in.

Please note that I've not said replacing the fuel filter is easy! The first time you do this, it can be a bit fiddly and frustrating. And you will need a decent range of small drive sockets and universal joint extensions.

The way I change oil: drain oil. Put 5l in. Check dipstick. Add a bit. Wait. Check dipstick. Add a bit more. Wait. Check dipstick. Repeat until bang on.

The way a garage does it: drain oil. Chuck all 5.9 (more likely 6l) in at once. Job done.

You will never drain off the whole 5.9 l hence the overfill.

My Accord diesel was overfilled twice by a Honda Main Dealer. Seems it happens quite often which is why I have stressed to the people I use now to be sure not to overfill.

When measuring the oil level on the dipstick I usually go for 50-75% of the way up the marked area. That way you know there's no chance of overfilling it. As long as the oil is above minimum then your sorted, and oil is a weekly check so there shouldn't be any worries about it dipping back under minimum without being spotted ;)