What's new

How much ?

Si38

Members
Reaction score
Car
2010 Type-S Accord
Car has been going great right up until this morning !!

Car went into limp home mode, low revs, called AA man, who plugged his machine in and promptly came up with fuel pressure and egr codes

Nice AA guy followed me to the nearest honda garage and my pride and joy is now in their hands , they started by telling me its 77 quid to just plug a diagnostic machine in, nice.

So looks like egr replace and new fuel filter,,,, guesses on price please ????

DO NOT let them replace the EGR without just replacing the Fuel Filter first. Fuel Filters cause all sorts of issues on these as they are often overlooked. Fuel filter's are about £30 plus fitting (£30-50 at I dealer I suspect). The EGR's are damn expenisive, like £500 expensive and dont often fail!

DO NOT let them replace the EGR without just replacing the Fuel Filter first. Fuel Filters cause all sorts of issues on these as they are often overlooked. Fuel filter's are about £30 plus fitting (£30-50 at I dealer I suspect). The EGR's are damn expenisive, like £500 expensive and dont often fail!

I agree entirely with you,,,, but,,,, Jim from the AA said the same thing and tried to take out the EGR and give it a quick scrub to give me a quick fix and the part of the EGR that sits in the engine block was seized in, so after undoing the 4 screws you couldnt actually take the unit out and he blamed that on carbon seizing the valve in ? Does this sound feasablie ?

Egr will not give fuel pressure faults dude.

Change fuel filter and go from there mate. 99% of the time it is the fuel filter so I would do that first and see how the car reacts

Honda just called and agreed unit is seized in, only way is to replace it ,,,,,,,, £819 !!!!!

Honda just called and agreed unit is seized in, only way is to replace it ,,,,,,,, £819 !!!!!

my responce to that would be.

1) replace fuel filter first - see if that cures the issue.

2) if step 1 does not work, contact Faddy and get him to do the EGR delete map on your car.

should work out at around £250 including diesel for transport.

my responce to that would be.

1) replace fuel filter first - see if that cures the issue.

2) if step 1 does not work, contact Faddy and get him to do the EGR delete map on your car.

should work out at around £250 including diesel for transport.

Mate I live in Stirling !! Car is in limp mode, would take me weeks to get anywhere at the moment,,, like I said, the valve is seized into the hole, I tried getting it out myself

Simon, don't replace the EGR valve just yet. Drop me a PM, let's see if we can arrange something that helps you. We can succesfully map out the EGR valve as part of a remap now and permanently disable it. I suspect if your EGR is seized then your inlet is full of rubbish too. By closing it off completely within the software, we prevent any further recirculation of rubbish back through the inlet and once it clears itself out, it will naturally breath a lot better. If you can meet me at the borders we can do this.

But agree with the others, change your fuel filter first with a genuine Honda item!

Simon,

of course it is your choice, but personally I would do as the guys have already said, just replace the fuel filter, that is the most likely culprit for the limp mode.

If the EGR is coked up, it won't have happened over night (unlike the limp mode).

You have a couple of options, you could buy a second hand EGR from the scrappers or maybe even ebay. On the pre-facelift I believe the EGR is electronically controlled rather than by Vacuum so, there maybe a chance that something has failed in the electronic side, although this has been rarely reported,certainly on here.

I don't know how handy you are with the spanners, but there are a few DIY guides on here and you could have a go at replacing it yourself, it really isn't too difficult apart from clearly persuading it to come off.

Have a look at some of the pictures in the diy's though, then you can see how it all goes together.

It will certainly save you a few quid.

Alternatively you could supply the second hand part to the dealer to fit, still saving abit.

good luck

Def change the fuel filter and get a map with an egr bypass! Job done!!

^^ Nice to see you posting sir ;)

Lol, its the only thing I know...at least my one post is from first hand experience though!! ;)

Have to agree Fuel Filter change will most likely pull it out of limp mode and if the egr is stuck closed then just get a egr delete map, much cheaper option and better in many ways.

update,,,,,

Got a call from Honda engineer today,,,,,

''Good news,, I was as surprised as you at the cost of the part so I have managed to prise the egr out, ive cleaned it up, cleaned the connecting manifold, changed the fuel filter as you asked and your car is running perfectly, total cost is £300''

From a Honda dealer that quoted me 900 quid few days ago , am I wrong to be doing cartwheels ?? To be fair to the mechanic, his attitude was spot on. If they were trying to make me into a repeat customer they went a hell of a long way into succeding today

Simon, it sounds like a good result as long as it remains in good working order. Please bear in mind that the EGR valves in the 7th gen diesel Accord cannot be cleaned - all he will have cleaned is the inlet port and wherever he can get to basically..

To prevent future issues, you may want to consider an EGR Delete anyway as I suspect this problem is going to re-occur. Have a good search of the DIY's and EGR related threads for some more informed opinions.

Fahad,

I will be taking your advice and getting you to do a delete remap, but not just yet, give me a few months to get the cash together after xmas and i'll be in touch.

No probs mate, also see how it goes first, it may be totally fixed anyway.

Car back from garage ,,, feels as good as new. 378 quid well spent just before xmas :(

Hey it could have been worse!