What's new

How to fit an aftermarket stereo in the 6th Gen

Roylewaa

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord SE Exec
Had a quick look for a guide on doing this and could'nt find one so here goes, my 6th Gen is a Exec with climate control, however I have fitted a stereo in a standard Accord with the standard heater panel so I will advise on this also :)

Firstly this is what you are met with
HPIM1585_zpsab96512a.jpg

It looks harder than it actually is, however its a fairly easy job
Firstly bring the steering wheel down as this gives better access to the screws, then remove the 3 screws at the top of the binnacle surround
HPIM1561_zps9cf3cb09.jpg

Then remove the centre headlight adjustment switch as they're is a screw behind here that needs removing also, this can be a pain as it's fairly easy to scratch the surounding area, or break the front off the switch, I find using an old stanley knife blade wrapped in tissue paper worked a treat
HPIM1563_zps5255dd95.jpg

Then remove the button for the odometer reset, this simply pulls off
HPIM1562_zps91c020ac.jpg

Now remove the screw behind the headlight adjustment switch, I found it best to use a magnetec screwdriver as it stops the screw dissapearing in the dash once removed
HPIM1564_zps83e37805.jpg

Now is the most difficult part (especially if the surround has never been removed before) as it is held on with those retaining metal clips, just start at the top working your way around with light tugs, It will start to unclip
HPIM1566_zps8105d302.jpg

HPIM1567_zps2946a59e.jpg

HPIM1568_zps77873f1b.jpg

It is worth noting that it is especially tight below where the stereo is, I had to really tug on this part, whilst using a old credit card cut in half to help with leverage
Be caraful though as pull too hard and this can happen :blush:
HPIM1569_zpse7903fb5.jpg

Once the surround is loose, disconnect the hazard, Cruise control (if you have it) and fog light switches, there is a button on the plug, simply nip and pull, You can leave those switches in the surround once removed
HPIM1571_zps559a6d28.jpg

HPIM1570_zpsf2dbe40c.jpg

This is what you will be met with, the factory fitted stereo is held in with 4 screws, and is attached to the heater panel in 1 cage
HPIM1583_zpsd7025ce9.jpg

Remove the screws
HPIM1573_zps5cc98326.jpg

Once the screws are removed gently prise the whole unit forward, it might be sticky but it will come away with a crack noise :lol:
Now remove the 2 connections at the rear of the climate control panel
HPIM1574_zps0a7c843e.jpg

Unplug the aerial, blue connector, amp and cd changer (depending on model) from the back of the head unit
HPIM1581_zpsff254566.jpg

The whole unit will be able to removed now
The head unit is held in with 4 screw, 2 at either side, remove these and the headunit will come away
HPIM1582_zps9fb63670.jpg

Now if you have the standard heater control panel, This will not allow you to pull the unit out of the dash very far, so it is simply a case of pulling it out as far as it will go and remove the screws as you do, be careful though it is easy to distrupt the mechanical connections behind the panel, which I did resulting in the vent direction control pulling out of its mount disabling the control, so make sure it all works before you put it all back together

For referance if you have the Bose system or a cd changer
This is the 14 pin cd changer lead (what Xcarlink uses)
HPIM1578_zps8b411522.jpg

This is the sub and amp connection
HPIM1579_zpscd29b04f.jpg

Right, I found it easier (and more secure) to mount the aftermarket stereo to the factory fitted cage (just like the standard headunit) and did away with the aftermarket stereo cage (as I found the stereo a very tight fit after its cage was used)
Most aftermarket stereos already have the mounting screw holes that are the screw size you have so bonus
Like this
HPIM1575_zps4a27e5be.jpg

HPIM1576_zpsbe1349e1.jpg

Plug in your iso convertor lead, these can be picked up from ebay for a few quid, even if it says they are not suitable for amped systems, they do still work
Here's a link for the one I bought
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190339842248?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
And connected to the factory lead, with the other end into your aftermarket stereo harness
HPIM1577_zps1a108785.jpg

Plug in the aerial, they're is not much give on this so you will have to offer the stereo into the hole to fit it, if your lucky the aerial plug will be on the left side of your headunit as this makes it easier, If not extension leads are available on ebay, note on the Accord 6th gen it is a male aerial plug
Plug back in your climate control plugs
and refit the stereo and screw the screws back in
HPIM1573_zps5cc98326.jpg

At this stage it is worth making sure your head unit works and that it retains its memory when keys are removed from the ignition, if the stereo does lose its memory simply swap the red and yellow connections on the headunits iso loom, they are swappable connections on most aftermarket stereos these days so its no drama to do
Now re offer the binnicle surround back, and plug back in the hazard, cruise and fog plugs

Now just push the surround home, making sure it connects with all the clip locations, it will make that positive clip back noise
It may be worth making sure the headlight leveling switch plug hasint dissapeared behind the dash before you fully refit the surround as it can be a pain to fish back out the hole :lol:
Once the surround is back in place, refit the 3 screws and the 4th behind the leveller switch, it is easier to fit the screw into the screwdriver and guide it into the screw hole, makes screwing it in easier

Fit your trim on the stereo (if you have one)
and sit back and admire you handywork, kettle on, cup of tea and basque in your manliness :D
HPIM1560_zpsf0336ff5.jpg

Note if you have the Bose amped system, It will not sound as good as it did before, however if your not fussy it is perfectly fine

If anyone feels like I have missed anything please feel free to comment :)

Thanks Andy, thought it was worth doing if it will help others, as ive seen the questions pop up a few times

I will be doing a guide on fitting Xcarlink aswell, with a video demo :)

I've got a rattle/squeak/chirp(?- sounds like a canary :rolleyes: ) noise coming randomly from somewhere behind the radio or in that area so I'll certainly find use from the Howto...cheers again! ;)

This is what you will be met with, the factory fitted stereo is held in with 4 screws, and is attached to the heater panel in 1 cage
HPIM1583_zpsd7025ce9.jpg

Remove the screws
HPIM1573_zps5cc98326.jpg

Once the screws are removed gently prise the whole unit forward, it might be sticky but it will come away with a crack noise :lol:
Now remove the 2 connections at the rear of the climate control panel
HPIM1574_zps0a7c843e.jpg

Unplug the aerial, blue connector, amp and cd changer (depending on model) from the back of the head unit
HPIM1581_zpsff254566.jpg

The whole unit will be able to removed now
The head unit is held in with 4 screw, 2 at either side, remove these and the headunit will come away
HPIM1582_zps9fb63670.jpg

Now if you have the standard heater control panel, This will not allow you to pull the unit out of the dash very far, so it is simply a case of pulling it out as far as it will go and remove the screws as you do, be careful though it is easy to distrupt the mechanical connections behind the panel, which I did resulting in the vent direction control pulling out of its mount disabling the control, so make sure it all works before you put it all back together

Hi mate, I followed this guide and managed to get the radio out THANKS A MILLION! but i did what you done and disabled the vent direction control... nothing looks disconnected from the back. Can you confirm how and what you put back together to get it working again?? im pretty sure i used too much strength to wriggle the stereo forward enough to get to the screws and without knowning dislodged a connection/pulley at the back.

Hi mate, I followed this guide and managed to get the radio out THANKS A MILLION! but i did what you done and disabled the vent direction control... nothing looks disconnected from the back. Can you confirm how and what you put back together to get it working again?? im pretty sure i used too much strength to wriggle the stereo forward enough to get to the screws and without knowning dislodged a connection/pulley at the back.
ok just thought id let anyone else who came across the same problem. If you look under the steering column, you will see the other end of the pulley which can easily be attached by hand. Phew...

Wow this is an excellent guide!

wished I had seen this before I changed the stereo on mine, ended up messing up the temperature and directional control on the heater....which I'm now researching a fix for.

I gota wonder why some one would dream up such a ***** design as this this looks like knit one peal harbour ! but then they did make the auto box as well .

Need some help. I attempted to remove the dash panel but got stuck on the headlight switch bit! Managed to clip out the actual switch but it doesn't pull out as the wiring holds it down, and the wire doesn't comeout enough, how am I supposed to take the ****** thing out and get the screw off?

unplug the switches mate... will help loads lol as for the direction control... the cable might have popped out from under the steering wheel.. just hook it back on again and youll be sorted guys

Can't unplug the switches if they won't come out far enough to get my finger on the clips :p

don't unclip it.. leave it in place as you remove the dash trim... then get your fingers in behind it and unclip the wire mate lol

Would that not increase the risk of breaking the panel round the area due to tension of the screw? I'm too scared of breaking the surround lol I already scratched the switch, which annoyed me a lot.

I might give it another try then...thanks for the tip.

Forgot about the screw... has your one got thr blank switch cover to the right? If so remove that and thatll allow you to get your finger in to remove the wire mate... its easy to remove it mate.. ant hard luke some other switch clips lol good luck

All three are real switches, I hope the other switches come out far enough! I'm just gonna leave the screw out when I do manage to take it off so itw ill be easier to do in the future.

Thats what I done mate.. the screws just hondas way of saying ill just make it double as hard for you to remove lol the cd player takes the **** trying to get that out with the 4 side screws aswell lol

Whoever came up with the idea to put an unnecessary screw must have woken up on the wrong side of the bed that day. I imagine the climate unit will be fiddly as well, and no doubt a week after I do change it the climate panel bulb will probably blow. <_<

Usual thing to happen mate.. do something and something goes and needs fixed lol

Hi guys, i have a w reg type v with sat nav, so obviously my stereo and climate control are in the lower panel, any idea how i change the stereo with this setup?

When fitting an aftermarket single din headunit is there any need for trim or facia modification or is it simply remove the old and replace with the new headunit?

fryer904 said:
Hi guys, i have a w reg type v with sat nav, so obviously my stereo and climate control are in the lower panel, any idea how i change the stereo with this setup?

Hello. I didnt do that but I think u have to remove middle console panel in order to get there. I would say its easier than having stereo on top :)

Superman001 said:
When fitting an aftermarket single din headunit is there any need for trim or facia modification or is it simply remove the old and replace with the new headunit?
Well, when i installed my new Pioneer (previously JVC by previous owner), my stereo came with cage too. But it doesnt fit so I had to keep old cage and put there new stereo. But yes, just swap it and u are good to go. Plugs are designed to "not-mix" them so dont worry about cables. Hope this helps

So removing the Honda cd headunit and replacing with a single din Pioneer I shouldn't need any wiring adaptors or anything?

^ You would need an ISO adaptor for the car, I actually fettled with my dads setup on Saturday, he has a pioneer unit, it has a cage that goes in and you bend the clips to secure the cage into the honda cage and then you insert the tape into that.

On the sat nav models, if i remember correctly you take off the wood panel thats around the gearbox and stereo etc and there is screws behind that you take off and get the cage out.

oh by the ways guys when you take off the dash panel, there IS a 4th screw behind the headlight adjuster switch that you need to take off, whoever changed the one my dads car didnt know this and when I took the panel out the plastic bit was broken because they forced the thing out, also as the OP said the plastic bit under the stereo is very stiff, be careful when taking that part out as it is very easy to break it.

Think I will ask at Halfords which iso adaptor I need as they have so many I wouldn't have a clue which one to get, when it comes to car audio im basicly clueless lol.

Thanks havoc, 1 more question, does anyone know where to get the iso adaptor for the bose system, every one that i find is non bose compatible