What's new

How to tell if DMF needs changing?

FRVAC

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer
This morning I noted that the Accord's clutch is slipping under load at about 2.5k rpm. I don't know how long this has been the case, as I don't regularly use the car. For the ~10k miles we have had the car, there has been a slight judder in the clutch when engaging it on starting from rest, only at very low RPM. Recently I have also noticed a very slight judder in-gear at light engine load, but with the clutch fully in, which is only occasionally present.

A few questions:
- Does this sound like a clutch problem only, or imminent flywheel failure also?
- Would the heat generated by the clutch slipping have damaged the flywheel?
- At ~90k miles (57-plate), should I think of replacing the flywheel anyway as a precaution?

Thanks.

The flywheel will knock when the clutch is not depressed but when you dip the clutch the knocking will stop. That's how you identify a ******ed flywheel.

Your clutch is definitely on its way out and if you want to keep the car for some time i would advise getting the DMF done as well because at your mileage the DMF will not be far behind the clutch.

Hello
In terms of flywheel this is dependant on the car and the type of life it's had. I would say that juddering is one sign of a worn flywheel. Only real way is for it to be tested when you install a clutch. My car had its clutch changed by HH at around 75k and The flywheel was tested and was well within tolerance. The car now has 90k and still all is fine and still on original flywheel. I would not rule out a flywheel as it could well be it and as crespo has said the miles are high now but so are mine and it's fine.
HH can test the flywheel when changing the clutch if you are getting it done from them

hi mate sorry 2 hear the bad news .. mine did the exact same senario i done 6000 miles and it started to get worser as i am a cabbie my mileage was 152k when i had it changed you defintly need both changing

As Shabz said, the only way to know for certain is to have it tested when you have the clutch changed. Then your dealership will let you know if it's advisable to have it changed. It all depends how hard a life the cars had as to how worn it is.

Your symptoms only suggest a worn clutch at present. To advise that your DMF would or would not need changing before it's tested is speculation. Obviously mileage is the biggest factor here, but so is the previous owner.

But it is worth taking it to a reputable dealer as a worn DMF is frequently misdiagnosed and a very costly mistake.

My advice, keep your fingers crossed and hope it's just your clutch.

Thanks for the responses.

I will get the flywheel inspected when they have they change the clutch and take it from there.

Definately get them to test for movement within the flywheel when changing the clutch. (the problem is trust though as they may well want to flog you a flywheel so ask them to show you the moevment and where it is outside of tolerance)

I recently had a new clutch installed after slippage but didn't do the flywheel. The mechanic did say they was a bit of movement in flywheel however. None theless I regret not getting it done now because its just worry as to whether or not it will go next or some time and that means a new flywheel and a new clutch again

modern cars - theyre s****e IMO

Flywheel tolerance on this car is between 6mm-36mm from what I can remember. Get the mechanic to mark with a felt pen and then spin it either way and put marks, then measure with a ruler for play between the marks.

Sorry I didn't update the thread with the resolution to this, before now.

I had quotes from my local independent and from the local Honda dealership. The HH price just undercut the indy. On booking the car in for the work I was told I had been overquoted, which meant the actual HH price I paid undercut the indy by about 200 pounds.

I asked them to ***ess the condition of the DMF and call me if they felt it needed replacement. On picking up the car they said the DMF was fine. I was shown the old clutch plates which they had saved, as I had requested.

The feel of the new clutch seems to have improved over the weeks since the work was done.

Thanks for all replies.

Sorry I didn't update the thread with the resolution to this, before now.

I had quotes from my local independent and from the local Honda dealership. The HH price just undercut the indy. On booking the car in for the work I was told I had been overquoted, which meant the actual HH price I paid undercut the indy by about 200 pounds.

I asked them to ***ess the condition of the DMF and call me if they felt it needed replacement. On picking up the car they said the DMF was fine. I was shown the old clutch plates which they had saved, as I had requested.

The feel of the new clutch seems to have improved over the weeks since the work was done.

Thanks for all replies.

Thanks for updating the thread and great feedback on HH.

Glad you have got it all sorted now.

As Carl said thanks for the update and another good job done by HH

Sorry, I may have caused a misunderstanding. By "HH" I meant "Honda Happiness", not "Holdcroft Honda". I would love to use the latter, but it's 200+ miles from where I am.

:lol:

Good feedback is good feedback though.

Still have a soft spot for the FRV.