What's new

I-CTDI down on power

silverVTEC

Members
Reaction score
Car
CG9
The car was fine earlier but just went back out in it and now it’s down on power hasn’t lost loads of power but it’s noticeable lost some of the pull it used to have anyone experienced this before and can someone point me in the right direction that I need to look into please I’m handy with tools.

What do you mean by down on power? Does it hesitate and then come in? Any smoking or strange noise from the turbo? Could be a leaking egr valve possibly

Just been out in the car and it seems bit better, but there’s not much happening under 2500rpm then when you go past this it pulls hard, turbo isn’t making any strange noises and doesn’t smoke at all, I’ll have a look at the egr today

Almost definitely egr. Solved one just at the weekend with the same issue, and another last week.

Thank you for your input I’m going to give it a good clean today and see if it improves after, if not I’ll buy a new one, it could be sticking or a lot of carbon build up inside

Also think about cleaning the intake manifold, dirty job but it makes a big difference.
Mine had a lot of carbon when I removed it and cleaned it out.
If you have a place that does commercial ultrasonic cleaning it would be a lot easier to give it to them to do.
I used a piece of windscreen wiper stiffener bent into a hook to scrape mine out.

The car is getting a remap soon want about 200bhp with egr delete, I cleaned out the egr and was surprised to how much carbon buildup there was in there! it was very bad and by the looks of it the inlet manifold is going to be worse, think I’m going to take the inlet manifold off very soon and give that a good clean out aswell, as I know there’s going to be a lot of build up in there, I seen the thread on here how to do it doesn’t look to hard to do, the car has its power back now, but I know it will have abit more with the inlet manifold cleaned out.

Very common, solved regularly with Tuning and egr off.

When I cleaned mine the EGR inlet hole was down from about 30mm Ø to roughly 15mm Ø Cleaning makes a big difference but ultimately delete is the best job, no engine likes breathing in its own waste and the system on these is somewhat easier to do away with than other marques in my understanding.