What's new

I-ctdi is using water

silverVTEC

Members
Reaction score
Car
CG9
I have a problem with my ctdi using water have had to top it up twice since my ownership I’ve had the car for about 2 months so about once a month it needs topping up, the car isn’t over heating and has not mixed the oil with the water and is running perfect them temperature needle sits where it is supposed too just confused as to why it’s using water any ideas people?

It’s going to be leaking somewhere. Have a pressure test carried out.

I’ve had a good look around the engine and carnt find any visible signs of a leak, I will get a pressure test and take it from there, thanks for the help

After I changed the coolant in mine it took a few runs to work all the air out the system. After a couple of minor top-ups it settled, and didn't need additional fluid after that.

Out of interest how much are you having to add, and how full are you filling it?

One of my previous cars (not a Honda) would never sit on full. I've no idea where the water went. It never went to to low mark, but refused to maintain the full level. I stopped worrying about it eventually :D

If it's getting into the oil you would see excessive white smoke out of the exhaust. you could have a minor leak which is going nowhere or you could have an issue with wet floor carpets and your internal heater matrix is fecked. Don't top up with water, use coolant and check all rad hoses are relatively fresh looking and not perished.

As Matt says, after a coolant refresh you will need to top up again once all the air get circulated out of the system, this could take a couples of journeys/top-ups to be sure all the air pockets are gone.

I keep on having to top it up with just over half a kettle of water every month, I’m currently using water as I don’t want to waste money on coolant if it’s just going to disappear, I have no wet carpets, no oil mixing and no smoke at all out of the exhaust. I think I have found the problem the top of the radiator is damp and I have a very small leak out of the top of the radiator where the small pipe goes from the radiator to the water tank, there is very minor bubbling around where the nipple comes out of the radiator, but I don’t know if this will cause this much water usage looks like I’m going to have to buy a new radiator and take it from there.