What's new

i-DTEC & Auto transmission - Flatspots

Simkin

Members
Reaction score
Car
2009 Accord
Have a Accord Tourer with Auto Trans, done 130.000km now and i love the car.

But, i have noticed something when acceleration full throttle out on the highway from 50km/t or something around there, its seems like the car hits a flotspot, and i need to go off the throttle and on again to keep it acceleration the way i want. The car behaves normally otherwise, and i did a full service on it last year on 110.000km changing EVERY filter, flushing trans oil etc.

Im running Shell V-Power diesel on it and have throw in couple cans of Tunap injector cleaner's since last year.

The car pulls great other than WOT rolling from low speed and up to 80-100km/t, specially notice it acceleration out on the highway.

I guess its normal, but im curious.

More likely sticking turbo vanes if it's an idtec. Is the DPF still in the car?

Yes, DPF is still there. Gearbox fluid level is where it should be. flushed last year. Its not every time, but it seems to happens when the Torque is at its highest, low rpm and WOT.

I actually had an Audi 2.2 20VT that was also hesitating like this if i went full throttle on low rpm. My guess is as long its automatic it might be software who are protecting the trans from to much torque?

Anyway, the car pulls great and runs fine, but it made me curious.

I know its very independent, but how long should i expect the DPF to operate without any issues? mine has 130.000km on it now. Running Shell V-Power diesel only, Oil change every 7500-8000km/or twice a year (0w-30 C2/C3) and i have highway driving now and then.

The fact it's doing it on WOT to me would suggest turbo vanes, as that's when the ecu will be requesting maximum boost and vanes open at their fullest. If you can release the throttle and then accelerate your way out of it as you describe then it's likely they are able to open on the second attempt.

Ideally you should have the car diagnosed properly and get someone to log the fuel and boost requests while driving to pinpoint where the issue is.

Regarding DPF lifespan, it will vary between cars and driving profile but typically they last around 80k-120k miles