What's new

If you were banned from buying a Honda Accord, what would be your next best choice?

ship69

Members
Reaction score
Car
'08 i-DTEC EX man 5D
Hi

If you were banned from buying a Honda Accord, what would be your next best choice?

Background

Following a write-off, I now need to buy a car in a slight hurry. I need it for heavy motorway mileage c.20,000+/year plus some London driving. I am looking for something that is super-reliable and holds up well towards the end of its life so as to get cheap, comfortable motoring.
I am told that Honda Accords are super-reliable, so my plan was to buy one fairly young, look after it (with quality oil and 6K gearchanges etc) and drive it until it stops.
So until today I was thinking: Honda Accord, diesel, low-ish mileage, auto gearbox, reverse sensors, ideally estate, ideally dark grey or dark blue colour and cruise control). The auto gearbox would be invaluable for London driving.

However I can't actually find what I want.

After much online research I finally found 6 cars that would have done, but when I phone the dealers all six of them had been sold... TODAY!
Eventually I found an automatic ES diesel saloon at CarShop (Northampton) with 70K miles on the clock reduced to about £10K, but it's battery almost immediately died (a sign of dodgy electrics, no?), the automatic gear changing was *horrendously* clunky (almost frighteningly so!), the breaks were ineffective and shuddered under foot, the tyres were basically bald, and the interior was scratched (not critical but a sign of lack of love!), and the power steering leapt around in a disturbing manner under near full lock (possibly due to low battery voltage). All in all... frankly terrible.

So now I'm thinking I will have to abandon Honda - there just dont seem to be enough of them out there, right now.
I am told that BMWs are extremely well made, but to be honest I am too prejudiced against BMW owners to become one myself.
Likewise volvo are just too damned dull.
What I liked about Honda is that they are kind of class-less, wont get up anyone's nose... and fractionally macho with it.

But I was thinking of a nice little Audi A4 instead... A bit middle-class but I could probably live with it. But I don't know how *reliable* they are.

- Any views/suggestions?

J

Subaru Legacy

As the guys said if you can't find an accord this might be another option.

At the mileage you are looking at why not a C class or CLK.

from 04 onwards mercs build quality was back up to the standard expected from Mercedes. An extremely comfortable car and one of the best automatic boxes in the business.

http://autotrader.mobi/used-cars/advert/201301235025709/viewing-41/0?PHPSESSID=n7eif8tjnf8u25mckr4lp715p5

http://autotrader.mobi/used-cars/advert/201302015153967/viewing-44/0?PHPSESSID=n7eif8tjnf8u25mckr4lp715p5

Mercs are uninspiring and ugly. If I had no choice but to go German, then the only choice would be an Audi.

There aren't many cars about these days that stand out from the crowd and are desirable. When you want reliable too, the choice gets even smaller.

The Legacy ain't a bad shout, but I don't think I'd want one.

Mondeos are dull, Vauxhalls are nasty, Saabs are boring, Volvos are ugly, BMWs are driven by *****, French cars are French, Vws are dull.

Doesn't really leave a lot of choice.

Mercs are uninspiring and ugly. If I had no choice but to go German, then the only choice would be an Audi.

There aren't many cars about these days that stand out from the crowd and are desirable. When you want reliable too, the choice gets even smaller.

The Legacy ain't a bad shout, but I don't think I'd want one.

Mondeos are dull, Vauxhalls are nasty, Saabs are boring, Volvos are ugly, BMWs are driven by *****, French cars are French, Vws are dull.

Doesn't really leave a lot of choice.

You rule out a merc as uninspiring and ugly yet in the same statement give the thumbs up to the Legacy. You need your eyes testing.

A merc will be worth more than buttons when he comes to part company with it and is a ****** nice car to drive. And going by his commute I would say comfort and a nice relaxing drive is pretty high on his list of priorities.
Also the Legacy diesel has horrendous real world economy.

Oh, and I wouldn't touch an Audi automatic with a barge pole. They are a financial time bomb waiting to go off.

subaru-legacy-02.jpg

1264175706-01467900.jpg

If he really needs 4 doors then this wins every time all bias aside. And well within his budget.

BMW 530D M Sport

bmw_5_series_3_0td_530d_m_sport_96752144649995221.jpg

In fact if it where my money i would go for the BM. Or as a total wild card a VW Phaeton. An immense car for the money.Basically a Bently with a VW badge.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201301285095466/sort/default/usedcars/price-to/10000/fuel-type/diesel/maximum-mileage/up_to_80000_miles/price-from/8000/model/phaeton/make/Awful German car/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/page/1/postcode/bh13ph/radius/1500?logcode=p

6BD777768019BCD251C23332D8F39B.jpg

Yup, as those pictures prove, all really ugly, dull and uninspiring, the Merc being the ugliest. Subaru is the least ugly, but that is no reason for buying one.

Jags are a bit better looking, not sure how reliable they are these days though and probably pricey on maintenance.

Hyundai i40
If I couldn't afford it then:
Toyota Avensis
After that I'd consider:
Ford Mondeo
Skoda Octavia
Mazda 6

Yup, as those pictures prove, all really ugly, dull and uninspiring, the Merc being the ugliest. Subaru is the least ugly, but that is no reason for buying one.

Jags are a bit better looking, not sure how reliable they are these days though and probably pricey on maintenance.

You genuinely are mental :lol:

Lol, I'm not one recommending a Merc with lights bigger than a 5th Gen Prelude! ;)

Each their own though.

Do Mercs still sell cars with that ghastly grey leather interior?

Lol, I'm not one recommending a Merc with lights bigger than a 5th Gen Prelude! ;)

Each their own though.

Do Mercs still sell cars with that ghastly grey leather interior?
Yes.

I own one. :lol:

20121119_144105.jpg

20121119_144113.jpg

Mine is the same as this inside.

2009-Mercedes-Benz-CLK-Class-Convertible-Base-CLK350-2dr-Convertible-Interior-Front-Seats.png

Honestly I don't like them. New Mercs look like someone has put one over their knee, pushed down on the front and rear and bent them in the middle.

Merc interiors have always been a sea of plastic and look tacky, surprising as they are marketed as an executive car. And grey leather is just really awful.

We all have different tastes though, I mean Jesus, some people actually think new Minis and Beetles look cool. If everyone had the same taste as me, you'd all be driving nice cars and listening to some decent music,...

Honestly I don't like them. New Mercs look like someone has put one over their knee, pushed down on the front and rear and bent them in the middle.

Merc interiors have always been a sea of plastic and look tacky, surprising as they are marketed as an executive car. And grey leather is just really awful.

We all have different tastes though, I mean Jesus, some people actually think new Minis and Beetles look cool. If everyone had the same taste as me, you'd all be driving nice cars and listening to some decent music,...

Its mostly leather and wood in there you nutter. Even the door cards are really leather. The nasty wood trim is even real wood.

What is your ideal car with a 6k budget out of interest. And what is in your CD player.

Mercs don't do it for me either. I'm with shiny on this one. Proper ugly and just not for me. Take a legacy estate, lower and tinted looks much nicer to me than the c class or clk.

I prefer RWD cars, but I refuse to have a Beamer.

So I like Merc C because its RWD and I might even start to like Lexus if they do one RWD.

Out of FWD, obviously I like Honda, but I also like the Subaru, and I like the Skoda Octavia.

Body shape and colour ....don't care ....I'm a man not a woman :lol:

Oh, and I wouldn't touch an Audi automatic with a barge pole. They are a financial time bomb waiting to go off.

Interesting without wishing to dispute this, what is your evidence for saying this?
Is it the automatic gear box specifically, or are Audi's in general "financial timebombs"
(And what of the A4 automatic which is what I would be considering due to its half-reasonable MPG??)

Btw, are there any reliable published figures for car longevity and/or long-term maintenance costs... ?

J

Interesting without wishing to dispute this, what is your evidence for saying this?
Is it the automatic gear box specifically, or are Audi's in general "financial timebombs"
(And what of the A4 automatic which is what I would be considering due to its half-reasonable MPG??)

Btw, are there any reliable published figures for car longevity and/or long-term maintenance costs... ?

J

Audi make great cars but they simply can not make a reliable automatic gearbox. Trust me when I say this.

It will go wrong and cost you 3k to fix.

Just look through EBay and see the amount of cheap Audis with gearbox problems.

Or a quick Google reveals horrifying results.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=ms-android-samsung&tbo=d&source=android-home&site=webhp&source=hp&q=audi+automatic+gearbox+problems&oq=Audi+automatic+gearbox+p&gs_l=mobile-gws-hp.1.0.0j0i30j0i8i30l3.2059.31193.0.33458.43.33.9.1.1.0.619.6858.0j21j7j1j1j2.32.0.les%3Bcrnk_timediscountb..0.0...1.1.2.mobile-gws-hp.qel6d75o1U0

If you are going to get one get a manual.

BMWs and Merc are no way 'bombproof' dont know where this myth comes from. BMW diesel in particular have a major diesel turbo failure problem. Have a read around, www.bmwland.co.uk etc. Very expensive when they do go wrong.

French cars are as dodgy as people think.

probably should look at Toyota Avensis Estate, but boring though.

Skoda Superb or Octavia diesel with a DSG auto, not bombproof, but get a warranty that covers it. DSG auto also needs gearbox oil changes every 40k or so.

I'd be tempted by an Insignia Tourer diesel auto, you can get a 12 month old one for half new price, with another 2 years of manufacturers warranty to cover you.

Audi make great cars but they simply can not make a reliable automatic gearbox. Trust me when I say this.

It will go wrong and cost you 3k to fix.

Just look through EBay and see the amount of cheap Audis with gearbox problems.

Or a quick Google reveals horrifying results.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=ms-android-samsung&tbo=d&source=android-home&site=webhp&source=hp&q=audi+automatic+gearbox+problems&oq=Audi+automatic+gearbox+p&gs_l=mobile-gws-hp.1.0.0j0i30j0i8i30l3.2059.31193.0.33458.43.33.9.1.1.0.619.6858.0j21j7j1j1j2.32.0.les%3Bcrnk_timediscountb..0.0...1.1.2.mobile-gws-hp.qel6d75o1U0

If you are going to get one get a manual.

Yep Audi have a multitronic auto gearbox problem, as Crespo says a disaster waiting to happen. Lots of cheap ones around to tempt the unsuspecting buyers....

Mazda 6 Tourer also John.