What's new

If you were banned from buying a Honda Accord, what would be your next best choice?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Accord-2-2-i-DTEC-auto-2011-ES-GT-DIESEL-ESTATE-/221129401857?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item337c56e601

Whats the obsession with the Phaeton?!

When they get old they can be real money pits, too complicated for their own good, too many modules and ECUs go wrong, not to mention the diesel versions blowing up.

If they air suspension plays up its £3k to replace.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/Awful German car/phaeton-2002/?section=bad

Subaru Legacy

So how does a Subaru Legacy compare to a Honda Accord ?
e.g. in terms of quietness/comfort on motorways, road-handline and mechanical reliability at high mileages (e.g. does it get to 200+K miles)
Also any recommendations on particular (diesel) engines?

e.g. Parkers only give 3 stars to the "Subaru Legacy Tourer (09 on)"
http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/subaru/legacy/tourer-2009/
Because it "Interior lacks sophistication, high emissions, notchy gearbox"

J

Whenever I've looked at Subarus they always appear lower quality than Hondas and other cars, just low spec and not very modern interiors. Never driven one though.

e.g. in terms of quietness/comfort on motorways, road-handline and mechanical reliability at high mileages (e.g. does it get to 200+K miles)

J
better engine in terms of power, no idea about 200k miles, not that bothered about quietness/comfort anyway tbh,
not interested in interior of a car, or looks, or colour
I only bought my Accord Tourer over a Subaru Legacy because the service intervals on the Honda were longer and cheaper (or so it seemed), the Honda seemed a better compromise. If "banned from buying a Honda Accord" then a Subaru Legacy would have been the next choice in terms of price and customer satisfaction etc.

J

Avoid. http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/subaru/legacy/21006/2002-2009-estate

Absolute honest and no bias opinion. Buy a 3 series or a C class.

Depreciation is a lot less and they are both genuinely good cars to drive and both offer excellent diesel engines. If you are concerned about reliability then buy a bike as all manufacturers have there problems, all you can do is try to avoid the obvious stinkers like Renault.

You are going to be driving it so it needs to be a nice car to drive and eventually you will be selling it as well so you want the best return possible.
Go and test drive a Mercedes or BMW and buy one.

btw thread ***le is "If you were banned from buying a Honda Accord, what would be your next best choice?" ...doesn't specify fuel

I'm talking petrol ....diesels are for boats IMO :lol:

Subaru Legacy

OK I just test drove a 2008 diesel Subaru Legacy with 75K miles on the clock.

However, over all to be honest I wasnt impressed. Everything seemed very basic and for want of a better word, rather 'agricultural'. In particular the engine noise seemed rather loud. I wasnt allowed to test drive on the motorway, but I bet it isnt particularly comfortable on long distances nor quiet compared to the honda.

The car I was looking at [http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/for-sale/search/subaru/legacy/sports-tourer-2003/usedcfs-804084531426792/] also didnt re-start very well - even after it had been running for 5 minutes. In fact it failed to start 3 times in row - awful ! And when you accelerate it would cut out briefly at about 3/4 of the way up the rev counter before kicking back in. This might have been a warm up problem I suppose. But I also noticed that most of the service intervals were late (i.e. between 13000 and 14000 miles rather than at 12,000 miles) - not a deal-breaker I suppose but not a good sign.

On the up-side cornering seemed excellent and acceleration was brilliant. On paper it's 0-62 time is 8.6 secs - which is better then any diesel accord, no? (That is other than possibly the Type-S, which might be comparable...). I also rather like that deep metallic blue paintwork :^)

But running the numbers, if I pay £8500 for a car like this that has done 75,000 miles, if I'm hoping to do 200,000 miles before it blows up, that means if I do 20K miles/year that I'd get 6.3 years out of it, at an annual depreciation of £1360/year.
Well for another £100/year I could get a Honda Accord which would be quite a lot more confortable I'm thinking - and given my high mileages motorway/long-distance comfort would be important.
e.g. this one: £10,995 , 46,000 ==> 7.7 years of c.£1,425 per year... and about the same fuel economy (combined c. 50MPG)
http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/for-sale/search/honda/accord/tourer-2008/usedcfs-867044531882649/

My main problem is that there arent many Hondas on the market just now and I cant find a young-ish (say 40-60K miles) one plus I rather like the idea of a nice blue one which narrows things down a little!

J

At the mileage you are looking at why not a C class or CLK.

from 04 onwards mercs build quality was back up to the standard expected from Mercedes. An extremely comfortable car and one of the best automatic boxes in the business.

Interesting thought.. although I hate the brand values of Mercedes.

OK I just test drove a 2008 diesel Subaru Legacy with 75K miles on the clock.

However, over all to be honest I wasnt impressed. Everything seemed very basic and for want of a better word, rather 'agricultural'. In particular the engine noise seemed rather loud. I wasnt allowed to test drive on the motorway, but I bet it isnt particularly comfortable on long distances nor quiet compared to the honda.

The car I was looking at [http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/for-sale/search/subaru/legacy/sports-tourer-2003/usedcfs-804084531426792/] also didnt re-start very well - even after it had been running for 5 minutes. In fact it failed to start 3 times in row - awful ! And when you accelerate it would cut out briefly at about 3/4 of the way up the rev counter before kicking back in. This might have been a warm up problem I suppose. But I also noticed that most of the service intervals were late (i.e. between 13000 and 14000 miles rather than at 12,000 miles) - not a deal-breaker I suppose but not a good sign.

On the up-side cornering seemed excellent and acceleration was brilliant. On paper it's 0-62 time is 8.6 secs - which is better then any diesel accord, no? (That is other than possibly the Type-S, which might be comparable...). I also rather like that deep metallic blue paintwork :^)

But running the numbers, if I pay £8500 for a car like this that has done 75,000 miles, if I'm hoping to do 200,000 miles before it blows up, that means if I do 20K miles/year that I'd get 6.3 years out of it, at an annual depreciation of £1360/year.
Well for another £100/year I could get a Honda Accord which would be quite a lot more confortable I'm thinking - and given my high mileages motorway/long-distance comfort would be important.
e.g. this one: £10,995 , 46,000 ==> 7.7 years of c.£1,425 per year... and about the same fuel economy (combined c. 50MPG)
http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/for-sale/search/honda/accord/tourer-2008/usedcfs-867044531882649/

My main problem is that there arent many Hondas on the market just now and I cant find a young-ish (say 40-60K miles) one plus I rather like the idea of a nice blue one which narrows things down a little!

J
try a petrol (it has a turbo)

"If you were banned from buying a Honda Accord, what would be your next best choice?" ... I don't drive cars that have boat engines, so a Subaru Legacy

Hyundai i40
If I couldn't afford it then:
Toyota Avensis
After that I'd consider:
Ford Mondeo
Skoda Octavia
Mazda 6

> Hyundai i40
The only model that is sub 10 seconds on 0-60 seems to be the 174 bhp "Hyundai i40 Tourer 2.0 GD", however fuel economy rubbish at just 39MPG.

> Toyota Avensis
Bad wind noise at higher speed says Parkers
http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/toyota/avensis/hatchback-2003/comfort/

But if you get the "Toyota Avensis Hatchback 2.2 D-4D T180 5d (06)" you get 46MPG, and 174 bhp with 0-60 of 8.3 secs.
They dont sound like the handle very well (not up to Honda Accord standard it seems)
http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/toyota/avensis/hatchback-2003/driving-performance/
Although good on motorways it seems...
To be honest although I like the slightly obscure (to me) brand, that front grill is just a bit to damned ugly !

> Ford Mondeo
A great car I'm reliably told but I refuse to drive such an ugly/deathly dull brand. I'm depressed just looking at it.

> Skoda Octavia
Slightly crappy styling but one or two models have remarkable performance.
Skoda Octavia Hatchback (04 on)
e.g. "Skoda Octavia Hatchback 2.0 TDI CR vRS Blackline 5d " does 49MPG but will 0-60 in just 8 seconds, 167 bhp, top speed 140 mph.
Likewise the "2.0 TDI CR SE 5d" does an amaizing 58MPG and a respectable 0-60 time of 9.2 secs, 138 bhp, top speed of 131 mph.
However my main complaint is that I used to own a Golf with a TDI engine, and although it was amazingly powerful AND economic, I grew to hate with a passion just how noisy it is - esp when cold.

Mazda 6 Tourer also John.

Sorry still just catching up - yes the Mazda 6 Estate looks promising.
Quite sleek looking and has an amazing performance.
e.g. the 185bhp diesel engine appears to be able to deliver 52 to 49mpg AND 8.4 to 8.2 second 0-60 time (depending on model).
Also I see one user on parkers was moaning about wind/road noise and spare parts being hard to get.
All in all it sounds more 'sporty' than I really need though - as there is some chat about the suspension being too firm as I do the vast majority of my driving on motorways.
But thanks, I shall investigate further.

J

P.S. I am starting to lean towards an auto gearbox, but (very) sadly it doesnt look like Mazda 6 didnt come out with an autogearbox on the diesel model until 2012(?)...

I don't believe the fuel consumption figures for the Avensis T180 !

Used to have the Verso T180 as a company car - very quick but seriously at one point I was peering underneath expecting to find leaks from the (small) fuel tank !

Watch out for blocked DPF's on the Mazda...

Watch out for blocked DPF's on the Mazda...

Ah yes good point. How do you spot a blocked DPF (ideally during a quick test drive!) ? and what are the implications?
Or are you saying it is a general problem that they may be susceptible to - i.e. more so than most ?

My understanding is that a nice long fairly high speed run on a motorway may unblock them... but if not you have to replace the DPF, yes?

J

DPF warning light on the dash.

If I was banned from driving a Honda Accord, I'd buy an Acura TSX!

B*llox! I think I just made a £10K mistake.

I just bought that Mazda 6 estate it's a 2010 SL 185bhp.

Basically it's not a bad little car. Accelerates fairly well without too much engine noise...
BUT it's suspension is far too hard for me. It corners moderately well, bu it feels every lump and bump on the motorway - which is where I spend my life.

I spend the entire journey home from Car Giant wondering how I could modify the suspension.
Any thoughts?

Fwiw, my last car was a Honda Accord Tourer EX (2007) - which I have to say was *so* much better behaved on the motorway!

J

B*llox! I think I just made a £10K mistake.

I just bought that Mazda 6 estate it's a 2010 SL 185bhp.

Basically it's not a bad little car. Accelerates fairly well without too much engine noise...
BUT it's suspension is far too hard for me. It corners moderately well, bu it feels every lump and bump on the motorway - which is where I spend my life.

I spend the entire journey home from Car Giant wondering how I could modify the suspension.
Any thoughts?
pay a chav to burn it :lol:

Dont tempt me!

Actually I've spoken to Car Giant and they still have the log book so I could possibly take the thing back and swap it for something with a better ride... only lose a couple of hundred quid "or so" (the exact amount is not clear...!).

I'm still tempted to go for a Honda Accord, but CG only have one estate in and it's not a automatic, AND it has that hideous privacy glass... Drattt.

Dealers nightmare customer.....