What's new

IMPORTANT - Diesel oil and particulate filter

Dunno bud, I always used 0-30. Don't know what was used before I bought it.

Peter it's always worth changing to 0w/30 at any mileage in my opinion.

Also, we're quite rigorous about the oil advice to our ICTDI members as it's the single most important thing in your engine many of the engine failures we've seen (although thankfully these are few and far between) have been down to incorrect oil or letting the service regime lapse.

Use the right oil (0w/30) and change it frequently (6k-8k miles), that's the best and simplest advice I can give.

Next service in July going to use 0w 30 might give it a flush also going to start using genuine Honda I've been using blueprint filters (oil,fuel etc). Just a quick one has anyone tried the drive/aux belt mine is due looks like there is limit access I've never tried this one is it worth ago myself?

I think member Salim has done it mate, have a chat with him.

Just for peoples information. My 2004 diesel has done 225k miles, since 70k I have done the servicing which really has only been an oil and oil filter change and I think once an air filter. I put in 0-30 or 5-30, whatever is cheapest at the time every 10 -15k. I fill up once a week at between 700 and 750 miles and it takes 54-56 litres. I have done 800 miles and the max I have ever put in is 59 litres. Just passed its latest MOT. Brilliant car.

Sorry did I read that right, you've changed your air filter once in the last 195k miles? No fuel filter and oil changes at up to 15k mile intervals?

You do like to live life on the edge.

OMG, I have forgotten all about the fuel filter. No really. I had better check that out this weekend. Thanks for the heads up. As for the air filter, I just whack it on the wall a couple of times back in it goes. Fuel economy is fine so must be alright.

Haha, compared to most other members here I have a very 'relaxed' attitude to maintenance - but you take it to a new level.
...Kudos!!

Yeah I can see the funny side of it too and I guess as long as you're honest about it to yourself and to any prospective buyer you ever sell it to then fair do's bud.

At 225,000 miles I have no plans to sell this car to anyone. I will keep it until something expensive happens to it. Overall I think I have had my monies worth from it. It has never broken down, I have had 2 punctures and the only thing I have replaced is the right rear ABS sensor and I got that from a scrap yard for £50. As I say, I think it's a wonderful car. If I could next buy a 3 year old Civic which had a 1.6L diesel engine, the same design as this 2.2 L diesel, I would be very happy. Cheap, reliable driving with a bit of a poke when its needed.

Vw cracked that formula years ago in the form of the 1.9pd engines.

Does it makes sense to use 5-30 in warm country
I use it in Malta where our tempretureaverages 40degressin the shade.
I use Castrol Edge 5-30

Regards

Chris

Given the 7th generation accord doesn't have a DPF, can the thread ***le be changed?

Well spotted, now moved to 8th gen Diesel section.

59 plate 2.2 used as a Taxi 119000 on the clock i've had it for 12000 miles & its not used a drop so far :)