What's new

Impressed with my mpg, what's yours?

RossM

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2i CDTi
teacake said:
Possibly, although the diesel doesn't have plugs, so you may have found the economy worse if the service agent had tried to fit them.
I think he maybe meant glow plugs :p Wouldn't affect mpg though, just wouldn't start - then again I suppose 0mpg isn't good!

2.2 i-CDTi for me, I do 50/50 busy motorway/sat in traffic when going to and from work, and about the same without traffic the rest of the time, if I just drive without thinking about mpg I get low 40s, if I drive carefully it goes up to high 40s or low 50s.

dl0205

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 CTDI
The best I ever achieved was 900 miles from 61.43 litres of supermarket diesel. The cars computer read 71mpg, but my calculations worked out at 66.5mpg. That was a mixture of M25 and North London driving. The tank before that was around 850 miles from a similar amount of diesel.

Jamie91

Members
Reaction score
Car
2005 iCDTI Saloon
dl0205 said:
The best I ever achieved was 900 miles from 61.43 litres of supermarket diesel. The cars computer read 71mpg, but my calculations worked out at 66.5mpg. That was a mixture of M25 and North London driving. The tank before that was around 850 miles from a similar amount of diesel.
900 miles!! it's a wonder you didn't clog the fuel filter bringing up all the crud at the bottom of the fuel tank

I came on here wondering if anyone could beat the personal record I set tonight in my pre facelift 2.2 saloon

773.1 miles (only drove 22 miles on the warning light). Calculated 64.9 MPG, almost entirely motorway stuff sat with the lorries

Netrocyn

Members
Reaction score
Car
2007 Accord Tourer
Had mine a year and over that time been very happy with the mpg of my cdti tourer. I do tons of miles but I usually only ever put 30 quid in at a time for the laziness of contactless payment but on A roads and motorways that gets me about 350 miles (thats fuel light to fuel light).The trip computer over-reads by about 3-4 mpg. Ive never quite had a real life mpg of 60mpg over half a tank, had 59mpg though!

I do drive like Ms Daisy and this does have effects, unlike Volvos I had previously that never sooted up regardless of how you drove, the cdti does soot up and needs a blast at some point every tankful.

Its a nice engine though. Very quiet when warmed up.

Channel Hopper

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 7 Estate 2005
One leaky injector, or the air filter blocked can make the difference of a 100 mile return on a tank.

Follow all pre flight checks as per the airlines. Cut weight to a minimum (ditch family if needed), windows up all the way and try not to use the aircon.

Cleaning the car (polish and wax the bodywork) will help, as will cleaning off the dirt on the brake pads and discs before leaving.

All journeys differ in terms of level road and/or hills, urban driving has never taken into account the potential energy changes of a trip around Cornwall.

Sun or rain, high winds and single lane mud/manure or other stuff that glues the tyres to the gravel.

Plus the heavy foot , left and right.

Richard B

Members
Reaction score
Car
2006 Tourer
I noticed a sudden drop in fuel economy. Not huge, but I saw numbers lower than usual.

Something clicked when I checked the oil - there is too much oil in the engine. Musn't have been on a level surface the previous instance I checked the oil, because I had to add some. And it's over by about the amount I thought I was low. I think the additional oil is causing drag on the crank, swallowing a few MPG.

Anyway, that is my theory. Science has proved my cognitive bias wrong occasionally, but I'll be sucking a little bit of oil out through the dipstick hole to get the level where it belongs.

2taol

Members
Reaction score
Car
'11 Accord 2.2 ES GT
over a 1000mile average the MPG on my I-CDTi was 51.6
that is driving consistently easy, below speed limits and cruise control on motorways as well as 5 days per week stuck in traffic!

its just a matter of reprogramming your throttle foot !!

Jamie91

Members
Reaction score
Car
2005 iCDTI Saloon
New personal record for me. 840 miles on 54.74 litres of supermarket diesel. 69.7 MPG. Warning light came on at 821 miles

This was a combo of 55 mph motorway driving :D , very careful driving on A roads and a smattering of traffic. Even took the spare wheel out to save weight lol.