What's new

Impressed with my mpg, what's yours?

teacake said:
Possibly, although the diesel doesn't have plugs, so you may have found the economy worse if the service agent had tried to fit them.
I think he maybe meant glow plugs :p Wouldn't affect mpg though, just wouldn't start - then again I suppose 0mpg isn't good!

2.2 i-CDTi for me, I do 50/50 busy motorway/sat in traffic when going to and from work, and about the same without traffic the rest of the time, if I just drive without thinking about mpg I get low 40s, if I drive carefully it goes up to high 40s or low 50s.

The best I ever achieved was 900 miles from 61.43 litres of supermarket diesel. The cars computer read 71mpg, but my calculations worked out at 66.5mpg. That was a mixture of M25 and North London driving. The tank before that was around 850 miles from a similar amount of diesel.

dl0205 said:
The best I ever achieved was 900 miles from 61.43 litres of supermarket diesel. The cars computer read 71mpg, but my calculations worked out at 66.5mpg. That was a mixture of M25 and North London driving. The tank before that was around 850 miles from a similar amount of diesel.
900 miles!! it's a wonder you didn't clog the fuel filter bringing up all the crud at the bottom of the fuel tank

I came on here wondering if anyone could beat the personal record I set tonight in my pre facelift 2.2 saloon

773.1 miles (only drove 22 miles on the warning light). Calculated 64.9 MPG, almost entirely motorway stuff sat with the lorries

Had mine a year and over that time been very happy with the mpg of my cdti tourer. I do tons of miles but I usually only ever put 30 quid in at a time for the laziness of contactless payment but on A roads and motorways that gets me about 350 miles (thats fuel light to fuel light).The trip computer over-reads by about 3-4 mpg. Ive never quite had a real life mpg of 60mpg over half a tank, had 59mpg though!

I do drive like Ms Daisy and this does have effects, unlike Volvos I had previously that never sooted up regardless of how you drove, the cdti does soot up and needs a blast at some point every tankful.

Its a nice engine though. Very quiet when warmed up.

One leaky injector, or the air filter blocked can make the difference of a 100 mile return on a tank.

Follow all pre flight checks as per the airlines. Cut weight to a minimum (ditch family if needed), windows up all the way and try not to use the aircon.

Cleaning the car (polish and wax the bodywork) will help, as will cleaning off the dirt on the brake pads and discs before leaving.

All journeys differ in terms of level road and/or hills, urban driving has never taken into account the potential energy changes of a trip around Cornwall.

Sun or rain, high winds and single lane mud/manure or other stuff that glues the tyres to the gravel.

Plus the heavy foot , left and right.

I noticed a sudden drop in fuel economy. Not huge, but I saw numbers lower than usual.

Something clicked when I checked the oil - there is too much oil in the engine. Musn't have been on a level surface the previous instance I checked the oil, because I had to add some. And it's over by about the amount I thought I was low. I think the additional oil is causing drag on the crank, swallowing a few MPG.

Anyway, that is my theory. Science has proved my cognitive bias wrong occasionally, but I'll be sucking a little bit of oil out through the dipstick hole to get the level where it belongs.

over a 1000mile average the MPG on my I-CDTi was 51.6
that is driving consistently easy, below speed limits and cruise control on motorways as well as 5 days per week stuck in traffic!

its just a matter of reprogramming your throttle foot !!

New personal record for me. 840 miles on 54.74 litres of supermarket diesel. 69.7 MPG. Warning light came on at 821 miles

This was a combo of 55 mph motorway driving :D , very careful driving on A roads and a smattering of traffic. Even took the spare wheel out to save weight lol.

Just done a trip from Derby to mid Sussex and back via Horley in Surrey in facelift EX Saloon at a total mileage of 478 miles. Trip computer says 55.2mpg. Now I’ve had my car for over 3 years and done 61,000 miles, and I’ve found that the trip computer overreads by 4 mpg every time, so that
gives a true consumption of 51.2 mpg overall. I know there’s a 4 mpg difference by brimming the tank before and after.

The best I’ve ever seen with this car was 63.3 mpg over 187 miles, so 59.3 mpg in real money.

Weather seems to help. Better when it’s warm.

My inclination was that you'd get better mpg in cooler weather as the amount of oxygen is improved but it seems that winter diesel can have less energy value as refineries adjust properties to reduce the chance of gelling in colder weather, who knew.

My inclination was that you'd get better mpg in cooler weather as the amount of oxygen is improved but it seems that winter diesel can have less energy value as refineries adjust properties to reduce the chance of gelling in colder weather, who knew.

Gone are the days of thowing a pint of petrol in the tank once a week.

...t the trip computer overreads by 4 mpg every time, so that
gives a true consumption of 51.2 mpg overall. I know there’s a 4 mpg difference by brimming the tank before and after.

The best I’ve ever seen with this car was 63.3 mpg over 187 miles, so 59.3 mpg in real money.

Define "warm" :-D

The MPG indication has a bit of variation. I can't get a standard error out of it. The MPG can be "dragged up" by coasting in gear with no throttle at every opportunity - towards red lights, going downhill, etc. but the error rate seems to also increase. I have managed to drag the number up into the mid 60's but actual fuel consumption was around the mid 50's when measured at the the pump. And comparing car to car, over the distances these cars cover per tank there may be variations in odometer function from car to car due to differences in tyre brand, pressure and wear. Also wet roads increase tyre drag so you get different figures between wet and dry drives. A friend of mine has a new-ish Passat diesel wagon and he gets the same fuel economy as I do, but he drives faster than me so his newer engine does have better consumption. But for 15 year old cars the diesel Hondas hold their own very well. In fuel savings alone you wouldn't justify the cost of a new car.

I once filled up at a fuel station about 15km from where I live, but at an elevation about 200m higher. It was about 1AM and there was barely any traffic, so I coasted using every bit of skill to preserve momentum and didn't touch the brake. I barely scraped over some of the uphills but when I eventually rolled into the driveway the MPG was sitting at 100. Of course the figure self destructed reversing and driving out of my street the next day.

I seem to be getting better freeway figures doing just over 2000rpm 5th gear than I do at lower rpm in 6th. Not sure if that is normal.

I've never been overly impressed with the consumption figures from my 8th gen 2.2 diesel. On a run from shrewsbury to tenby recently, some 133 miles I averaged about 44mpg according to the trip. Don't know how accurate it is though. Thats driving as fast as traffic will allow and certainly not carefully. Around home in the summer I average about 39mpg, all short journeys. Winter ie cold it drops to around 37mpg. Definately better mpg when its warmer weather.
I never drive to save fuel though, always giving it some.

@stellamon I'd be pretty disappointed with that. I averaged 54mpg over my 70,000 mile ownership, but that was (on the whole) being quite careful. Best return on a tank was 64.5mpg, worst was 44.6.mpg. I'm only getting 51mpg out of the Golf. Same driver, same journeys. Smaller car, smaller engine :confused:

@stellamon I'd be pretty disappointed with that. I averaged 54mpg over my 70,000 mile ownership, but that was (on the whole) being quite careful. Best return on a tank was 64.5mpg, worst was 44.6.mpg. I'm only getting 51mpg out of the Golf. Same driver, same journeys. Smaller car, smaller engine :confused:
I am disappointed but I reckon I could do better if I layed off the throttle a bit. Had a couple or three vw passats that were much more frugal

Regarding my earlier post, I should’ve mentioned that I no longer speed at all, so I’m at a cruise controlled 70 mph on motorways. If I occasionally give it some boot, the figure drops dramatically. I decided to stop speeding as I was fed up with getting points on my licence, and this way I don’t have to worry about speed cameras and an NIP through the post! The added benefit is the fuel saving. This isn’t me trying in any way to sound self righteous or anything. Just something I decided to do.

@AdamG

I don't think anybody read it like that tbh, this is an "impressed with your mpg thread" after all.

I was trying to get from 40 to 80 mph in third gear as foot to floor fast as possible after a remap and believe me when I say the most impressive element of that test
was the mpg indicator hovering around 8 - 9 mpg for about 8 seconds or so.

Now that I’d like to see! Maybe that’s another topic for the forum! ‘How low can you make your trip computer mpg go?

I’d love to do the remap, but I fear the clutch and DMF wouldn’t take it, so I’ve left it alone. I gather it’s very impressive though, especially the work that F8HAD and Premier Tuning do.

I got the f8had map, 1st and second gears are too short though, comes into its own in third, as antdad said, 40 - 80mph very doe able.

Now that I’d like to see! Maybe that’s another topic for the forum! ‘How low can you make your trip computer mpg go?

I’d love to do the remap, but I fear the clutch and DMF wouldn’t take it, so I’ve left it alone. I gather it’s very impressive though, especially the work that F8HAD and Premier Tuning do.

Fecked it up riding the clutch a bit (don't think clutch was slipping as was wearing poor footwear) but you get the idea.

Last edited:
Currently getting 66.1 mpg earlier this week (tues). Dropped to around 64mpg today (fri)
The Honda icdti loves the warmer weather and since the m25 is still little quieter in the mornings I am having a great run into work at the moment.
The icdti engines are fabulous and as mentioned they do hold their own. I dropped off a work colleague at an Renault dealer near work so he could get his company car serviced.
I gave him a lift back to the office and he was mighty impressed with the 7th Gen Ex Accord. The fit, finish, toys you get as standard and overall feel of the car. He couldn't believe my mileage and how old the car was and how great it was running.

20200909_174817.jpg

Last edited:
Currently getting 66.1 mpg earlier this week (tues). Dropped to around 64mpg today (fri)
The Honda icdti loves the warmer weather and since the m25 is still little quieter in the mornings I am having a great run into work at the moment.
The icdti engines are fabulous and as mentioned they do hole their own. I dropped off a work colleague at an Renualt dealer near work so he could get his company car serviced.
I gave him a lift back office and he was mighty impressed with the 7th Gen Ex Accord. The fit, finish, toys you get as standard and overall feel of the car. He couldn't believe my mileage and how old the car was and how great it was running.

View attachment 315
Great stuff. What' you average speed?

I'm getting towards the warning light on fuel and it's doing around 61 mpg with an average speed of 39 mph.

Great stuff. What' you average speed?

I'm getting towards the warning light on fuel and it's doing around 61 mpg with an average speed of 39 mph.

I'll have to check properly, but it rarely goes above 40 lol.
Most likely similar to yours around the high 30's.

It will be a real sad day when the Accord goes thats for sure.
Mot likely downgrade to a older civic IMA hybrid or something.

Town Driving is 28-30mpg, the most I achieved on a long run was 38mpg.
(2.0 Exec Auto)

Hey y'all,
was just wondering if its just me or anyone else felt this, but I always use shell or sainsburys fuel... but recently just trying out tesco 99 momentum, and I mean the 2.0 petrol seems to love it when pushing hard but whenever i use the tesco 99 the engine sounds a little rough..
is that a thing or just me?

Hey y'all,
was just wondering if its just me or anyone else felt this, but I always use shell or sainsburys fuel... but recently just trying out tesco 99 momentum, and I mean the 2.0 petrol seems to love it when pushing hard but whenever i use the tesco 99 the engine sounds a little rough..
is that a thing or just me?
I tried the tesco rocket fuel some time ago and it made no difference whatsover! Mine gets the regular 95 morries stuff and runs perfect always.
Only time ive noticed fuel make a difference is on my tdci mondeo,it hates regular diesel but runs sweet on the higher cetane vpower stuff shell sell so it gets nothing else.
For the record my 2.0 petrol accord gets 20/25 urban maybe 35/40 on a run driving sensibly.Far from spectacular economy figures lol but i knew that before i bought it so dont care.